Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Questions about J&J Industries

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Questions about J&J Industries

Old 03-02-2003, 02:31 AM
Kraft
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about J&J Industries

I am trying to get a list of all the kits that J&J Industries produced. If you have any names, please let me know.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Art S.

J&J (Ernie Weiss) produced the Eyeball as their first kit, it was superbly successful in two editions. This was followed by Jim Martin's Banshee, Tony Bonetti's Troublemaker, the J&J Trainer, a bipe that I can't identify and a small pylon racer that I am equally vague on. There were several projects in the works: my own Migi-Ball and others. Unfortunately, Ernie wanted to grow too large and too fast and this shortly put him out of business.

The biplane was, I now believe, called the J-Bipe.

One gets old and forgets; the foregoing is the best I can do!

Art Schroeder
Old 03-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Kraft

Art,

Thank you for the information! I knew of the Eye ball, Banshee, and Troublemaker but not the others.

Kraft
Old 03-02-2003, 04:42 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

Default j&j

hello,
they also had a .15 size p-51 for the new pylon racing.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:16 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kraft: I found in 1974 Tower Catalog the following.
Banshee $54.95 list-$38.00 Tower
Trouble maker $59.95 list-$42.00 Tower
Mark V Eyeball $54.95 list-$38.00 Tower
J-Craft (trainer)$45.95 list-$32.00Tower
!/4 Midget Mustang (.15 racer)$34.95 list $25.00 tower
By 1976 could not find any mention of J&J in any adds in RCM
I see you are selling propeller you bought from me, was it not to your liking? >>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 03-03-2003, 12:23 AM
Kraft

No, the prop is fine. I just wanted to see one and look at how it was made. I am thinking about trying to make one for a large engine and was curious.

Does any one know about the Eyeball make V (five). I am only aware with the first Eyeball (I think it is the first one?). Was there really five different variations and what was the differences?

Barret
Old 03-03-2003, 12:38 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eyeball

well the one to ask is art s as he is the designer of the original eyeball and he has already replied to this post.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:47 AM
Kraft

Art,

Do I understand from your note that two versions of the Eye ball were produced by J&J? What was the difference in the two?

Kraft
Old 03-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Art S.

To anyone that cares...

If one wishes to assign Mark numbers to the Eyeball, the one that appeared in MAN was Mark II. The original had a 1/2 inch less distance from the wing TE to the stab LE. Keep in mind that a short tail moment makes for a snappier airplane and the AMA pattern had some snap maneuvers at that time. Mark II was lengthened to make Mark III. After a year of great sales, the airplane was lengthened again so it was now 2" longer than the original. This one was called the "New Eyeball" The kit contained plans for the original swept leading edge wing and an alternate plan for an equal taper wing. This was done to make the airplane easier to balance. My final Eyeballs were 2.5 inches longer than the original magazine version. I personally never liked the flight characteristics of the equal taper wing. All versions of the Eyeball used the same airfoil, wing planform, vertical and horizontal tail feathers. The kit used a trike gear, my original used a conventional gear with a wing mounted maingear that retracted.

There were several Eyeball variations. In Europe, Swenson had a kitted Eyeball that used a foam wing and was very close to the magazine stretched original. Don Brown put out an ARF plastic version (actually two) through his Dee Bee company. There were several rip-off fiberglass versions as well.

And I'm doing a 120 version called the Ultimate Eyeball incorporating flaps, an airfoiled stab and a fuse mounted aluminum gear. Hope to finish this before I pack it in. It is not intended for pattern, rather it is a high performance sport airplane that won't cost an arm and a leg and that could be used in the lower pattern classes. Recent sketches look like an Extra. But then, see one near midwing and you've seen them all.

Art Schroeder
Old 03-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Kraft

Art,

Thanks for the information on the Eyeball. I would really like to find a J&J it of this plane. I have a J&J Banshee and troublemaker kit but not the Eyeball. Did J&J kit both versions that you mentioned? Do you have any pictures of your past Eyeball's?

Thanks,
Kraft
Old 03-04-2003, 12:19 AM
Art S.

Kraft,

J&J produced two different Eyeballs -- one called the Eyeball and one the New Eyeball. As I said, the main differences were a lengthened fuselage and the plans for an equal taper wing. The Eyeball is occasionally offered on eBay, but the prices are, in my opinion, obscene. Believe it or not, I have no pictures of any of my Eyeball's. I lost all of my archives in a basement flood in New Jersey before my Florida move. That was a heart breaker but, I did get my long desired indoor pool.

Art
Old 03-04-2003, 12:24 AM
Kraft

Art,

Have you started on your 120 size Eyeball?

Barret
Old 03-04-2003, 12:27 AM
Kraft

Art,

Did you use a HP 61 in your Eyeball? The J&J plans show a HP 61 in the Banshee and the Troublemaker. Did the Eyeball plans show the same HP 61?

Kraft
Old 03-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Art S.

Just playing with numbers and lines so far. Health has been so-so for a year or more so workshop time is limited. Perhaps sometime this Spring; I hope so.

Art
Old 03-04-2003, 12:39 AM
Kraft

Art

I have two of the four bolt head with the wire clip on muffler HP 61's for the Banshee and Troublemaker, just wonderd what engine was shown on the Eyeball plans and the engine that you used?

Kraft
Old 03-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Art S.

Kraft and Barret (I'm confused),

All of my competition Eyeballs utilized Enya 60 engines except one short period when I used the Webra Blackhead. Frankly, the Enya was as near to "bullet proof" as any engine I've ever used. I never used the HP (or even owned one).

I don't remember what engine was shown on the kit plans but I'll let you know when I get up in the loft that holds my kits.

Art
Old 03-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Kraft

Art,

Sorry for the confusion, my name is Barret but I go by Kraft on RC Universe because I have been flying Kraft radios for the last 35 years and sill am.

Did you design any other pattern planes back in the early 70's?

Barret/Kraft