Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Dos Little Stiks

Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dos Little Stiks

That might have just been the one.. it finally met it's demise when I moved back to Kansas. That's the one that had the Ace silver seven single stick in it.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You didn't really move back to Kansas, just Missouri with teeth.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM
fizzwater2

Yeah, I guess you're really the one that moved "back to Kansas", Dorothy. Back to your roots.

Is the sweet stick bigger than the Das Little Stik? Someday I'd like to fly another one, but I think I'd use two aileron servos instead of that funky bellcrank system the original used.
I was flying one belonging to a friend of mine one day when both ailerons fluttered themselves off in a 45 degree dive. It rolled the plane inverted, headed for the runway. Kill the throttle, down elevator, and when the nose came up rolled it rightside up with the rudder, then landed. Hey, at least I didn't break the WHOLE plane.. only the ailerons!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM
jrbmoto

Yes, the Sweet Stik is larger than the Little Stik. The Sweet Stik was concidered 40 sized while the Little Stik was .15-.25 size. Most guys put .40s in the Little Stik though. I'm remembering what a pain in the butt it is to cover the scalloped ailerons and elevator! I've got to finish the orange one now that I've started but I think I will experiment with painting them on model #2.

-Johnny-
Old 10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
jrbmoto

Wing #1 is done
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46237.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	780025  
Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 AM
NiknJen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I thought I'd post some pics of my Little Stik. This plane was given to me over 20 years ago. It sat in my dad's garage until earlier this summer. It was completely covered with dust and dirt, holes in the (orange and brown) Monocoat and even had an old mouse nest inside the wing. The wing had several holes in it (chewed in from the mouse!) and the stab and rudder were both broke. I completly striped it down to the balsa and started patching. I replaced all the hardware, reshaped the tail, made a new rudder, redid all the mounts, tank lid, wing saddle, just to name a few. I converted it into a taildragger and bent up some custom landing gear. I also coverd it with the traditional Iorn Cross theme but designed a more modern version along with a scull and crossbones, there were just to many cross on it so I decided to go with something different on the sides. (my first Monocoat job).

It started out as just something to get in the air but I kind of fell in love with it over the process! It has an OS la .46 with a Mac muffler (makes it look like its going fast just sittin on the ground!). I have about 3 gallons of nitro through it and it flies great. This is my first plane and I'm loving it!
-Nick

Name:	Lj21408.jpg
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	780138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52941.jpg
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	780139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48462.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	780140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77320.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	780141  
Old 10-10-2007, 02:20 AM
rc doc

I have a little stick that I got from Darrel Yonker back 25+ years ago when he left Alaska. He had a K&B 40 on it and launched it as per thecover. I have crashed it a couple of times since and it is a little heavy now. I have a Fox 25RC onit now and it is all I want. I plan to put two servos in the wing to get rid of the bellcrank..
RC DOC
Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 PM
jrbmoto

NiknJen,
Great resto job, I love the scull and cross bones! LA .46?? Dude! I thought I was pushing it with an LA .40!

-Johnny-
Old 10-18-2007, 10:39 PM
tonyL1
My Feedback: (1)

just thought i'd post mine on here, its a late 1970's ( I think or so) Midwest Das Little Stik WS 48 inches,
stuck a .25 FX on it, the decals, ( which are still holding up) are from my GWS Slow Stik plane as seen in pic
plane has about 100 some flights on it, and has suffered one semi crash ( as I pancaked it once )
tearing the firewall and tail surfaces off ) plane is still going strong, i went with the plans idea of using
rubber bands for the main landing gear, welp suffice to say it did its job nicely during
the pancaking crash , no damage at all to fus as rubber bands popped apart lol [8D]

Name:	Ay75606.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	785776  
Old 10-19-2007, 06:56 PM
jrbmoto

Looks nice tonyL1! I'm thinking of doing Stik#2 in blue and white. Hows the performance with the .25 FX? I do have a Magnum Pro .25 that I've been thinking of putting in #2 but I like a lot of power and wasn't sure if it would be enough.
I've been trying to work on the stiks a little every nite this week. My plan was to keep both planes at the same stage of construction but I had to jump ahead a little with #1 so I can get it done by Halloween. I've got a lot of the bs work done like mounting the engine and the fuel tank. I was able to fit a 10 oz tank with no problem! The wing and tail feathers are covered, just need to cover the fuselage then glue up the tail. I used 2-56 rod thru a plastic tube style push rods for the rudder and elevator and dual aileron servos so the radio instalation should be a snap.
I discovered a 48"X48" sheet of 6061 1/8 alum at work today and was able to fab up a set of landing gear using the set I bought from my LHS as a sample. I sheared off a 2" strip off of one edge of the sheet. This is enough for 3 gears!

-Johnny-

Name:	Bz77115.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	786181  
Old 10-20-2007, 08:36 PM
jrbmoto

All covered!

Name:	Fd93415.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	786850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62999.jpg
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	786851  
Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM
fizzwater2

looks good, bet it'll be fun to fly!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:20 PM
flightprep

Hi JBR et al,

Been a while since we chimed in, but have to say those DOS Stiks are looking good. Now that your build is nearing completion, are you happy with the short kit? We're still planning on getting one to make a stik for winter flying - but other projects have intervened. Appreciate your comments.

Also wanted to give a short comment/update RE powerplant, as we've swapped out the OS .25 LA for an OS .25 FX on a trial basis. The idea is to break in a .25 FX to put into a Sig Kobra that's almost ready, and we wanted to check out the perfomance in our Little Stik, especially given this thread. Today was the day, beautiful conditions here with temps in the 70s and light winds, dry and sunny.

We ran the .25 FX (with a 9x6) a little rich as we're still breaking in, but it has more than enough power and the vertical is practically unlimited. We pay a 3 ounce penalty for the bigger engine, but basic flight character is unchanged. Biggest difference vs the .25 LA is that with the FX, the Stik is much quicker into the air and is noticeably faster on passes - but, it is still not blindingly fast.

Good luck with finishing up and on you first flights.

Brgds
Flightprep

Old 12-15-2007, 10:38 PM
jrbmoto

Hello all!
I know its been some time since I've posted...I covered stik#2's wing today. Exactly like #1 but metalic blue and white with red pin striping

Name:	He97404.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	826572  
Old 01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
jrbmoto

Hey all,
I flew stik #1 this weekend and what a blast, she flew beautifully! The 10 oz fuel tank is way too big, after flying for what seemed like forever, I still had over half a tank. The LA.40 ran perfectly and was very easy on fuel but was a little gutless. I'm thinking of something more powerfull for #2, maybe an OS .32 with a pipe. Any suggestions?
I can't say enough about the fun I've had building these two stiks. You can't beat the deal from lazer-works. I built myself two really cool, great flying planes for next to nothing! Much of what was not included in the short kit was easily found at my LHS if not right here in my workshop! I am almost finished with #2 and will post my progress.

-Johnny-
Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Falco5

Hi All,
wishing everyone a "HAPPY NEW YEAR"
I have only recently finished my Modified Das Big Stik ..70 inch wing span with an Enya 60 Xlll on the nose 11x8 super nylon prop.
AUW 8.0 lbs. Test flown on the Boxing day which was a disaster as I hadn't set up the dual rates for elevator & ailerons and it was almost uncontrollable. After a hair raising 40 second flight, it finally arrived back on tera firma at a 15 deg angle and demolished back to the 2nd bulkhead. It has now been fully repaired and all the surface movements reduced by 60%...have also learned how to program the new TX...JR-XP6102.

Favorite Quote: Use it or Lose it.

Name:	Pn35721.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	840548  
Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
jrbmoto

she llys great!

Name:	Om33938.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	850375  
Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
jrbmoto

I ment flys great

Name:	Om32661.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	850379  
Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

You guys looked like you were having so much fun with your Little Stiks I had to have another one. I flew a Midwest kit way back in 1972 with a Fox 29 on it. The Fox flew it very well. I was in the Air Force at the time in Thailand at Korat AB. We had a hobby shop on base and of the few planes to pick from the Little Stik appealed the most. Another guy had one with a .40 on it and had tremendous performance. Being new to R/C at the time, the .29 was enough for me. I'll be putting a new-in-the-box Enya .30 BB Super Sport TN Type on it. Should be adequate power. I ordered the kit from Lazer Works over the internet on Sunday. I called Eddie at Lazer Works on Monday (today) to tell him I forgot to include the shipping in my Paypal payment of $37.43. Eddie said don't worry, he was cutting the kit when he answered my call! Wow, that's quick. He also said we will email you when were ready to ship and weigh it to tell you how much shipping. He also offered to throw in a set of aluminum landing gear if I wanted to add it to the price of shipping. Eddie said he used to make full kits and had a hobby shop of his own. He still has some inventory left. The kit will be here before the plans show up from RCM! I ordered them yesterday also. Thanks guys for bring up this thread and some pleasant memories.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
jrbmoto

rrengineer,
Glad to hear that you bought from Eddie. I've ordered 5 kits from him now and have been very happy with the quality and service. I've been having a ball with my orange and black stik, the blue and white one is still in need of final assembly, I'll get to it pretty soon. Its amazing much fun these little planes are to fly, even my friend the "3D master" really gets a kick out of messing around with it! I like the fact that it I can get in the back seat of my Toyota PU without taking the wing off! I build a lot and have quite a few pretty cool planes in my collection but at this time, I'm flying the stik more than any other plane. Its just been the perfect kick around plane for me. Good luck with the build, post some pics!

-Johnny-
Old 02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
rrengineer
My Feedback: (3)

Johnny,
I just got the kits in the mail a couple of days ago. The laser cutting is perfect. If kits were made this precise years ago, I would have built many more kits. It's so nice to show up at the field with something other tan a barf kit that looks like everyone elses. The plans I had from RCM are not the right ones for Laser Works short kit. Eddie actually supplied me with the Midwest plans to build from. The RCM plans are not the same as the Midwest kit. Same size, but many different details. If I have half as much fun with this one as the one I had back in 1972, it will be a ball. I'll post pictures when I start building.
Mike MacLean
San Bernardino, CA
Old 10-25-2008, 07:36 PM
jrbmoto

Well I guess this weekend is a good time to resurrect the 'Halloween Stik"

Name:	Vt58003.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1058780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94538.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1058781  
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

That Scalloped Monokote job is a neat trick !!! Mind letting us know how you cut/applied it??? That Metallic Blue with the red pinstripe looks really classy.... Little Stiks will never go away.. just too much fun in a small, inexpensive package....

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 10-26-2008, 01:52 PM
jrbmoto

The scallops were easy. I simply marked off every 6 inches and cut around a coffee can. I agree, for under $40 for a laser cut kit, they are a lot of fun! I actually have the blue and white one hanging up in my LHS for sale. Ready to fly minus a reciver. With a brand new, never run LA.40. I figure I don't need two and I can always build another one if I ever crash the orange and black one.

-Johnny-

Name:	Us53377.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1059350  
Old 11-06-2008, 04:28 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Falco5

Hi All,
wishing everyone a "HAPPY NEW YEAR"
I have only recently finished my Modified Das Big Stik ..70 inch wing span with an Enya 60 Xlll on the nose 11x8 super nylon prop.
AUW 8.0 lbs. Test flown on the Boxing day which was a disaster as I hadn't set up the dual rates for elevator & ailerons and it was almost uncontrollable. After a hair raising 40 second flight, it finally arrived back on tera firma at a 15 deg angle and demolished back to the 2nd bulkhead. It has now been fully repaired and all the surface movements reduced by 60%...have also learned how to program the new TX...JR-XP6102.

Favorite Quote: Use it or Lose it.
Nice looking Stik!! I like the way you did the control surfaces and wing tips. I was never a fan of the scalloped surfaces and round tail. After reading this thread, I'm going to order a Little Stik from Lazerworks. Mine is going to have a 50" wing (instead of the stock 46") and I plan to put either an OS .46 or .55AX on it with a pipe. I wonder if I could find a carbon fiber landing gear for it. It should look a lot like yours only smaller. Should be a blast!

Man I love this web site!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.