Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Forrister 99 ignition engine

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Forrister 99 ignition engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 11:58 PM
ABORH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forrister 99 ignition engine

I have a Forrister 99 and Ohlson 23 ignition engine that I would like to fire up. Is there someone who can tell me about these engines.

What do you feed em? White gas and 2 stroke oil or caster? What ratio? Are plugs still available?

The Forrister has 2 points. Is there one set used for starting and another for running? If so how are they hooked into the ignition system ?

I imagine thes were free-flight engines, but is there a way to throttle them for RC?

The engines were left me by my father who died before I could ask him about them.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old 03-27-2003, 04:20 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Forrister 99 ignition engine

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ABORH
The Forrister has 2 points. Is there one set used for starting and another for running? If so how are they hooked into the ignition system ?
I imagine thes were free-flight engines, but is there a way to throttle them for RC?

Actually your Forster does have throttle of sorts. The duel point setup was used as two speed throttle control. The second point post had the battery lead that was switched between the hi and lo speed post by a relay that received key signals through the controline wires. And in the case of RC an escapement function keyed the relay for high and low speed.

In the same way dual needle valves were sometimes used on early engines for the same effect.

John
Old 03-27-2003, 05:41 PM
ABORH

Thank you for the information.

Does anyone have a recipie for the fule required for this engine?
Old 03-27-2003, 09:52 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Typically two to three parts white gas (coleman fuel is a modern substitute) and one part 70 weight oil was used.

The only sparky I still run from time to time is a Dennymite and don,t bother with spark, just run glow with glow fuel spiked up to about 28% caster.

John
Old 03-27-2003, 10:51 PM
ABORH

Thank you!!