Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Who remembers the RCM Miss Norway?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Who remembers the RCM Miss Norway?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 04:55 AM
DerFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who remembers the RCM Miss Norway?

Just picked up this almost complete kit dating from around 1975. Balsa and ply fuse with foam cores.

Specifications.
Span 57"
Area 610 sq in
Engine 60
Weight 7 1/4 lb.

Anyway, the plans show a Webra Blackhead as power although I think I am going to fit a pumped HB 61 PDP which I have unused in a box.

The kit seems pretty straightforward to build, but in any case, I am looking for suggestions as to covering and such.

Anyone want to get nostalgic and share their fond memories?
Old 03-31-2003, 06:23 AM
DerFly

Default Who remembers the RCM Miss Norway?

Hi again,

Just bumping this thread up to the top hoping to get an answer. Forgot to add last post that this is an old style pattern plane much in the style of a quick-fli etc. etc.

Thanks,
Old 09-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Take2Flight

Default RE: Who remembers the RCM Miss Norway?

I saw a scratch-built Miss Norway fly in India in 1978 with a K&B 61 and it was a fantastic sight...old fashioned rocketship drawing huge arcs & lines in the sky. Do you have pix or know where I can get plans?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:52 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Orlando Ruiz of Miami built one of these for his first pattern ship.
I've lost contact with Orly but he was associated with Orange Blossom Hobbies and later Texxon, both hobby businesses in Miami.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:05 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCM sells the plans. Here's a link:

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/sto...m=plans:pl-550
Old 10-01-2006, 07:32 AM
DerFly

Ah wow, answers ! I posted this over on the Classic Pattern foum too. There are some pics of the plans there. I do have the plans and could make copies if there is the interest.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:48 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Do you have the construction article?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
maxpower1954

Hey Ron, funny you should mention Orlando Ruiz. When I lived in Miami in the late 1970s, I was a member of the Tropic Aeros R/C Club, and later the Miami Springs/Hialeigh Pasture Pilots. Orlando was a frequent visitor. He was an excellent flyer; he was the only person I ever let fly my Sherlock LearJet (remember that one?) Haven't thought of him in many years...Russ Farris
Old 12-20-2006, 03:27 PM
tich

I am surprised no one has mentioned that Miss Norway construction article can be found in R/C Modeller magazines Flight training course volume 2 circa 1974
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 PM
kingaltair
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tich

Miss Norway construction article can be found in R/C Modeller magazines Flight training course volume 2 circa 1974
Does anyone have one they would be willing to see me? I used to have it , but it is now lost, and it's out of print. I liked the Miss Norway, and ordered the plans--designed to fly in windy conditions.

Duane
Old 12-23-2006, 03:39 PM
70s Flyer

What month RCM was it in? I have alot of Mags from 1972 to 1986
Old 12-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Wings of Peril

RCM's Flight Traning Course Volume 2 was a paperback book about 3/4" thick. I still have mine-and the full-size Miss Norway plans (2 sheets I think) that came with it. There is Miss Norway construction article-probably about ten pages, near the end of the book. Still has the price sticker-ten bucks back in '74. The rest of book focuses on flying the pattern and trimming.

Just before the article, there's a full-page picture of Norm Page and the Mach 1. I used to watch that guy fly a the Chicagoland Club's field back in the day. I was a kid but though he was amazing. I believe he was an airline pilot. If I remember correctly, Paul Harvey (the radio guy) was a club member also and used to talk about RC on his radio show sometimes. I still have a Kraft radio that used to belong to him.

I talked to a guy (not an RC flyer) who lives in Elmwood Park, Il about a week ago and I asked him if the field was still there. He said it was but I don't know for sure. It was a state or county owned park dedicated to flying models of all types-with a paved runway for RC. Pretty cool.