Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Old Bipe

Old 04-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Dave617

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Bipe

I was given an old bipe designed by Don Dewey and manufactured by a Belgium company. The box says that it is a Svenson Wayfarer. Has anybody ever heard of it before? I have decided to make it look like a Stearman PT-17.
The plane itself is 43 inches long and has a wing span of 52 inches. I am going to put an O.S .91 Surpass engine in it, does anybody think that the engine is to big? The plans and instructions that came with the plane are translated very poorly from german to english. This is by far the hardest plane I have ever built. The only thing that came pre-formed was the formers and the ribs for the wings.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:25 AM
Gonnacrash
My Feedback: (10)

Default Really !!!!!!!!!

Too bad you started the kit... Dewey's Sevenson Wayfare is worth upwards of $450-500 bux.... !!!!!!! I'm just kidding, just had to hear you sweat... sound like a great find !! Good building. Don
Old 04-01-2003, 04:06 AM
TPAGEL
My Feedback: (6)

Default Old Bipe

I built one from RCM plans in Feb 72, flew it with a Fox 40.
One of the best bi-planes I ever owned and I have owned many.
It flew great with the 40 but in those days you flew a plane on the wing-not on the engine. As I recall the cjonst article with it was very good.You might see if you could locate one.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Dave617

Default Its older than I thought.

I knew the kit was old but I didnt know it was that old. Thanks TPAGEL. Do you think that the O.S. .91 4 stroke is to big??? What is the cjonst article. I did a serch for it and found nothing?
Old 04-03-2003, 12:59 AM
TPAGEL
My Feedback: (6)

Default Old Bipe

Cjonst article is const article spelled by someone too lazy to use
spellcheck.
I did some digging and I found my copy of the RCM article. I would be happy to copy it and send it to you if you want.
E-mail me at [email protected] if interested.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:20 PM
AsM

Default RE: Old Bipe

I have also just bought an old kit of this plane, I remember them being popular in the early eighties I think. I plan to use a Saito 71, and also plan major weight reductions, by replacing some heavy ply and block balsa parts. I Intend to build up the cabane with carbon rods, and use nylon screws to mount the wings. as the original scheme is not too pretty. But then I cant resist changing things, it makes it more fun![8D]
By the way in case other members wonder why I am suddenly interested in old stuff, not just Capiches, this is Dad pinching my signature!!
Old 02-06-2004, 04:25 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
Any garden variety 40 will fly it fine & it is a good flyer.
Plans are available from RC Modeler magazine.
Good luck,
Bob G
Old 02-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Cutlass 60

A 91 may be a little much. however, you do not have to use all that power all the time. I had a Wayfarer about 15 years ago and it was powered by an old Supretigre 60. It flew just fine, but that old tigre put out about as much power as one of the hot 46's of today. In my opinion, a 72 four stroke would be perfect. The Wayfarer was a good looking and good flying bipe. Enjoy and good luck.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:50 AM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the foam wings for this aircraft if anyone is interested.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 PM
joker6969

hi i have 2 different planes. A wayfarer svenson by don dewy a 52 inch - span sport biplane for .40 engines in a box unassembled (belgum) oreder #222-0-30493 does anyone know what this plane is worth or a website link with info about this plane, also a sportmaster by lou andrews