Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Kaos tail wag??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Kaos tail wag??

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I have a Tower ARF sitting in the box...how does that plane compare to the original kit?
This link on the “Classic Pattern” forum covers the differences http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3735219 .
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Jim B
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Back in the day" this was known as the "quick fly dance." The use of sub fins and fore fins did help. On the 8 kaos's i've built thru the years the simple balsa wing filets really help. Our newer, powerful motors also seem to accentuate the problem. Remember a kaos isn't a 3D airframe and HATES to be tail heavy.
Jim B.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that I read on some forum posts that the cure was to clip an inch off the vertical stap and rudder. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

double post
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Removing lateral stability generating surface area would seem more likely to aggravate the problem, not lessen it.

Ed Cregger
Old 05-17-2016, 08:12 PM
bigbird3

2016 now but here is a total cure for tail wag or as I call it, fish tailing. This is how the factory does it on full size only they recreate a new l.e. Piece with the new shape, they did it on wwll fighters after test flights they took a hammer and tapped it flat till it stopped,then removed the piece, took it in and made a new one that had nice curves and all then put it back on and shipped it out. Flatten the leading edge of the v-fin. keep flattening it till it stops. Just a little at a time. It won't look bad I promise.
there you have it.
bird
Old 05-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Gene;

Re your Kaos tail wag. I recall from a time a way back when, Phil Kraft's Kwik Fli III had a similar problem, and most guys just lived wid it. {I have not flown either design}, but a solution suggested in the model mags, and used at that time wid success, was to simply add sculptured wing fillets at the wing to fuse joint, to smooth out the air flow I suppose. Again, some of the old time pattern fliers may remember the fillet idea; I just thought I would throw it into the mix......maybe you need cheek cowls, canopy, sub fin and wing fillets.....see? another problem possibly solved. Will close, best regards from Wickenburg, Arizona,

Joe Nagy
Old 05-23-2016, 10:27 PM
engrv7

Hello everybody,

If I remember correctly the problem with the Kwik Fli 3 dancing was found to be the sharp bend at the trailing edge bulk head transitioning to the tail cone. It also involved somewhat the turbulence coming from the wing/fuse junction. It seemed that the airflow on the tail cone would brake away first one side then the other causing the "tail wag" or as it was called "the Kwik Fli dance". The fix was simple. Decrease the width of the bulkhead at the trailing edge by a little bit and pay attention to insure a smooth transition from the fuse side to the tail cone. After taking care of the transition the wing fillets no longer appeared to be necessary. It was an interesting problem.

Of course the caveat here is if I remember correctly. That was along time ago. I was in my mid 20s at the time and deeply involved in the sport. I really enjoyed flying the KW3 it was a great aircraft.

Cheers, Stan
Old 05-24-2016, 02:49 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, its been a while since i started this thread! Heres an up date on my Kaos. I recovered it back in 07 with Monokote and re located the canopy foreward to its current position. This relocation reduced the tail wag substantially. I flew it at this years Vintage event here in NC and the judges thought enough of the finish to award it best finished model! Heres a pic....Gene
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_165911.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	2164033  
Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job on the Kaos, want to do mine?

Paul
Old 05-25-2016, 01:51 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Paul. I stopped using Monokote about 2 years ago. I'm strictly back to paint and fabric of some sort. For me its more enjoyable. Seems the older I get the more I revert back to the way I did things when I was younger. I'm even building and flying C/L models again!.....Gene