Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Schoolboy

Old 04-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schoolboy

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing my re-creation of my first r/c plane. In the mid 60's my brother and I teamed up (or maybe it was ganged up, lol) on a Top Flite Schoolboy designed by Ken Willard. I built the fuselage (banana'd left) and he built the wing (twisted right) and it flew perfectly! It was powered by a Pee Wee .020 and directed by a Babcock single channel radio, using an escapement that gave us left, right, and up. Some of the best flights were when we forgot to wind the escapement and it flew itself!

I built the replica from the old plans. It's powered by a Tee Dee .020 and the radio is modern micro servos on rudder and elevator.......and still a lot of fun!

Did anyone else start with one of these?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	70201_30370.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	42645  
Old 04-13-2003, 02:11 AM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Schoolboy

I did not start with this plane but I flew one all last summer with a Pee Wee engine & an Ace pulse radio on rudder only.

I have just converted it to Galloping Ghost with a Tom Sanders pull pull rudder design & toothpick link to the elevator. Just waiting for warmer weather to try it out with rudder & elevator.
Good luck with yours. It is a dandy flyer.

By the way it was first published in Model Airplane News in Jan. 1962. That version was slightly different. It had an unsheeted wing. Plans may still be available from M.A.N.

Bob G
Old 04-19-2003, 01:59 PM
GMG-RCU

Default Schoolboy

Strat2003:

What a great job of building a classic model plane. I had one similarly equipped with Babcock, TD 020, vintage 1964. I still remember waiting my turn to fly with the Regen receivers of the time. Top Flite produced a great series of kits designed by Ken Willard! I have built and flowh the School Boy, Roaring 20, and the School Girl Bipe, also larger Headmaster. I still have a NIB School Girl and may build it instead of selling it! Should be great with a Norvel type engine and micro servos for 3 channel.

Thanks for the memories,

Mike G in N.IL
Old 04-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Default Schoolboy

Tell me about the Schoolgirl, CMG.....I built one but never flew it, it seems I discovered the other kind of schoolgirls about then. It was equiped with a four position escampemnt and an auxilliary escampemnt to give high and low throttle......as I remember it, you just blipped the button and it changed position when the whole works went around.
I still have the plans and there's enough info there to build another one....think it's worth it?
Old 04-20-2003, 02:59 AM
GMG-RCU

Default Schoolboy

SCHOOL GIRL

You have it pegged. If I had the plans and had the School Boy, I'd build the bipe also. Neat plane and with the new microservos it would be a lot of fun. Ailerons would be tough to add -- maybe small strip ailerons. Rudder, Elevator and throttle -- neat, neat, neat. Only problem might be getting the soft balsa needed for the wings. Ah, Sig should still have that around. I am getting into Helis and am selling most of my NIB engines and NIB kits here on RCU. Sold about 25 kits and have about that many left. Build the bipe! Now that park flyers and electrics are popular, it would fit right in.

GMG (Mike in N. IL)
Old 04-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default School Girl....:)

I have a kit of the School Girl, and I've had the kit for more years then I care to remember. If anyone needs a set of plans let me know, and I will look into getting them copied.

I did build the School Boy and flew it Free Flight...yep it flew just fine.

My first R/C model was the Pinto, and the frist to fly under r/c control was the Midwest Esquire. I also built the Vangard R/C model, single escapment with rudder only. I soloed with the Royal Coachman and got it together with the Falcon 56.

Happy Easter to everyone...

Bobby of Maui
Old 04-21-2003, 12:33 AM
GMG-RCU

Default Schoolboy

School Girl Biplane

Bobby - Yes, those were the good old days -- in some ways. The escapements enabled us to fly - barely. I don't know what the torque of a wound up rubber band is, but these new micro servos must beat it by a mile, and a 270 mah nicad compared to pen cell batteries. And regen receivers and rudder only with occasional kickup rudder and blip throttle . When I think about it, those early RC models I had were basically free flight! I got to spend a lot of time in corn fields! And with wind you really had your hands full. My first RC model was a Midwest Tri Squire - just a little larger Esquire. Lots of problems with a Babcock RC system. I solved problems by buying separate Transmitter (Min-X - I still have it), Receiver (Citizenship) and using the Babcock escapement. Your comments bring back lots of fond memories.

Mike in Rockford, IL
Old 04-21-2003, 08:59 PM
boberos

Default Esquire & Pinto

Hi Bob P,
Over at the VRCS usergroup at the yahoo website there are a few threads about the 'Esquire' recently posted. Have a look if you want to read them. There is/was a lot of enthusiasm about this old (1956) design. You will have to sign in at that site but there is no cost involved.

By the way, do you still have the plans for the Pinto? Veco
I presume.

Thanks,
Bob G
Old 04-22-2003, 01:05 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pinto plans...

Dear Bob G.;
I do not have the plans to the Pinto and sure wish I did, for it was the very first R/C model I built. If my memory servies me right there were two models of the pinto, and I built the smaller version. I do wish I had the plans though, but I was in Jr. High school at the time...early 60's...real early 60's, but lost all my model airplane stuff when I went into the service and South East Asia.

The Vangard ended up being a great free flight model, as well as the old C.G. Ranger 30...God Bless but I built a many of that model and powered it with TD .010's...it flew just great. The Vangard was a high wing cabin model and flew it with a Space Hopper .049. What a great little motor, but it ran either direction equally as well. The little Cox motors were cheap in those day's, and for a mowed lawn or two you were in business. All the kits were under $10.00 and I built them with Ambroid (sp.?) glue.

Can you send me the e-mail address to VRCS so I can get on line with them. For some reason my server (MSN) will not even show Tower Hobbies today....Grrrrr. God I loved it in the more simple old day's...but I must admit I do love my Airtronics 8 Ch. Tx and the mixing I can do...What's a man to do...

I'm about ready to sell some of my old kits and will list them in a week or two. I just need to find their worth first and see what happens.

Soft Landings Always,

Bobby of Maui
Old 04-22-2003, 05:36 PM
boberos

Default VintagRC Society

There are 2 sites for info & discussion.

The main Vintage RC Society is at:
www.vintagercsociety.org

You can also sign on to the VRCS user group at yahoo.
No charge.

Good luck,
Bob G