Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Norm Casella's Pulsar Bipe

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Norm Casella's Pulsar Bipe

Old 04-21-2003, 03:18 AM
molchaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norm Casella's Pulsar Bipe

I remembered watching these planes to some pretty amazing things in mid 70's before the days of computer radios when dual rates on a Proline was "uptown"

Well I finally snagged one and am in the process of putting it together ( All in all avery well engineered and easy to put together. only "flaw" is that by todays standards the heavily gel coated Fuse is pretty heavy.

My big question ?????

The incidences built in the plane seem to match the plans, but strike me as strange.

The lower wing and stab have the same incidence, but the upper wing as a bunch (3 - 4 deg) of relative negative incidence. I am looking for some positive reinforcement that is correct.

Can anybody give me confirmation ??
Old 04-21-2003, 04:16 PM
CurtD
My Feedback: (1)

It's not that unusual to see the top wing of a bipe with negative incidence, or more to the point, less positive incidence than the lower wing. It causes the lower wing stall before the upper wing, making the aircraft more stable at very low speeds. I expect you can really land the Pulsar slow, dragging it in on the prop.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:45 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about the heavy fuselage is as long as you like white it needed no paint. I can remember Norm doing a knife edge loop, first I ever saw. I was so impressed I bought two kits, built one & still have the other in the box. Ran a Webra Speed 61 with a Kavan pressure dump carb. The pylon set the wing , don't change .Very impressive for the time & still one of the best bipes built. >>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>
Old 04-30-2003, 08:56 PM
BobS
My Feedback: (3)

Molchaser,
I built and flew two of those Pulsars. What a great flying bipe . I used to go to the Omaha biplane contests, and while I couldn't beat Norm, I sure came close. That plane is as good as a Pitts or an Ultra.
Leave that negative top wing as it is. I feel it makes the Pulsar track true. I was going to remove it, and then I called Norm and he said "don't touch it."
Good luck with your Pulsar, It's a great flyer.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:02 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Norm Casella's Pulsar Bipe

hello,
i just obtained one of these and have two question as the plans are a bit vague.from what i can see there is no diherdral in the top wing and 2" total in the bottoim wing.second question is about the center pylon since i got this kit 2nd hand the wing mount has been glued to the ply center pylon wheater this was done at the factory or by someone that owned the kit i do not know.but i am having a hard time determining which end of the maple wing mount goes towards the leading edge as by eyeball it looks the same front and back.anyone have any ideas?