Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Buccaneer balance question

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Buccaneer balance question

Old 04-15-2008, 07:52 PM
nhblacksmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buccaneer balance question

I recently bought a (Super?) Buccaneer which appears to have been built from plans around 2000. It has never been flown. The wing is 14" deep by 90" long and has an under camber built in. It has an old K&B .61 and all gear installed. Does anyone know where the balance point would be on this plane? The main spar is only a couple inches back from the leading edge and if I try to balance the plane 1/3 back from the leading edge, it takes an even one pound box of nails tied to the prop nut to make it balance. Seems like that is an awful lot of dead weight to have to carry around. Any help would be appreciated.

Neal
Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buccaneer balance question

I will bet your A/C was built off the plan by Bill Northrop that had been redrawn in R/C Model Builder magazine of about early 1981. I don''t think the plans have a C.G. noted as it was one of those of the "Test Glide" theory designs. There was a lot of Talk in the accompanying text, but nothing on the trimming and flying.

And yes, one place it notes the wingspan to be 84 inches, yet on the actual plan and in the accompanying ext it states teh w.s. to be 90 inches, 1200 Sq. Inches, about 57 o/a long, and at five lbs. up to .53 for glow engines.

Wm.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
frogdr1
My Feedback: (2)

For the question on the balance of the Buccaneer. I just opened my box again on my super Buc and will start this project.
I purchased this from Hobby Horn before they close shop. The strip list states to use 30% from the leading edge for the CG.
Hope this helps out.[:@][>:]
Old 05-25-2008, 05:12 AM
pnightin
My Feedback: (1)

The CG position for old timer (climb and glide) is relatively easy. If the tailplane is flat section about 30% of the chord is a good point to start. If the tailplane has an aerofoil (lifting) section then start at 50% and then work back!!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
braddock VC

Don't get hung up about adding lead, if you don't you can have a real handful.
I'd go along with the suggestion re flat plate stab 30 -35% chord from LE, lifting tail even clark y section, cg 50% and work back. My southerner major, 84" ws came with a 30% from le cg, landings tended to be swoop and zoom, cg now 65% from LE and she is not elevator sensitive so I guess it could go back some more. The plan actually shows 75% but I bottled that.
Remember they fly slow and in freeflight days were balanced just on the good side of the stall
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Hi, nhblacksmith. Just saw this post and although a bit late to your original post, here's what I can offer.

I have the plan to The Buccaneer , drawn by Don McGovern. This plan is based on the 1936 Bill Effinger design of 84" WS with an undercambered 14" chord; for .51 engines, weight at 7 lbs. Centerline of the C.G. is drawn at 4" from the wing LE with the C.G. circle drawn 1/2" dia. At 30% CG, as suggested above, the dimension would be 4.2"...just about where the rear limit of the CG circle is. Works for me! I believe this plan is offered through M.A.N.

Hope this helps. Joe
Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM
nhblacksmith

Thanks to those who have offered advice. I have it roughly balanced now with an old .61 Kraft engine and was going to test fly it a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, whoever built it didn't understand that you couldn't make both the stabilizers and rudder and elevator all square-edged and then hinge them tight together. It doesn't leave much room to move so I have undertake modifications and am trying to find matching paint. I'm just going to add some triangular stock to the front edge of the elevator and rudder and rehinge. I will post a reply again after it has been tested but I have several projects on the bench. Thanks again to all.

Neal
Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Good luck on your flight, Neal. Hope the wings don't come back looking like a F-86 Sabre with that .61 up front!!

Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
nhblacksmith

It took the Kraft and a pound of lead to make it balance. I doubt it will ever get much above quarter to half throttle but if it proves too much, I have all my father-in-law's old engines from the late 50's, mostly out of Esquires and Super Cubs...some even have throttles! I've got an old Italian Super Tigre that the mud wasps made a home out of and is at a friends being restored. Maybe that would be a better choice? That Buccaneer wing looks like it has a tremendous amount of lift with the undercambered airfoil.

Does anyone have an idea of suggested throws for the elevator and rudder?

Thanks