Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

old model mags

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 PM
skybill
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old model mags

If yer' an old modeler (50+ yrs.) like me yer' a "pack rat!!" Besides all the old airplane kits, boxes, parts, radios and airplane parts, how many boxes of old model mags and plans do you have and how far back do they go?? I was in the garage/hanger today doing a chore for my wife and I had to move about 4 boxes of some old '60s vintage M.A.N. and some old '80s Model Builder and some other mags!! To think I've held onto all these goodies all these years!! How big is "YOUR" collection?? BTW there's more than 4 boxes in mine!!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: old model mags

A couple of years ago I had the same problem. Boxes of old mags until I ran out of space. So I kept the RCM issues from 63 to 71 and tossed all of the others. MAN, American modeler, Popular Electronics, Radio-Electronics, Model Aviation, Sport Aviation, Embedded Control, Short Wing Piper, etc etc etc......I hated to do it but something had to go as I needed the space for more treasures.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skybill, I am well like you. However a major change in lifestyle about 1981/2 plus several moves required that I dispose of many magazines along the way plus a considerable amount of old "treasure/s". In 1984, I disposed of 125 trophies and plaques from my competition days, all into one big dumpster.

Now I have plenty room but I don't save like I used to do. Magazines other than MA go to places where I might visit such as waiting rooms, to the local club, and wherever I can leave them. Once I asked a Dr. if I could leave several mags in his waiting room. He said OK, and then came by to review them. He said he would return them as soon as he read them. Some years ago he had been an active sport RCer. He just wanted to check current stuff out. He still does so and then places them back in the WR.

Other stuff has been disposed of on eBay, kits, engines (I still have far too many ) and best of all, "RC JUNK". I have received $20 to $50 for boxes of worthless stuff headed for the trash can. I titled the assortment, "RC Junk" and list it as "For the tinkerer and collector, not sold for use as workable equipment" It moves and I suppose some just like to tinker.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:12 PM
skybill

Hi Hossfly,
I like that idea about boxes of "R/C Junk" and put it on E-bay!! Now to go get busy!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Tippie

I thought I was the only one to get chastized for old model magazines. I have at least 6 file boxes of model magazines. Some with me in them which helps bring back fond memories. I probably have saved every issue of Model Aviation since the early 70's (except for 2 which I loaned to my old boss and he never returned them). Lots of RCM's since a deparated old friend had contributed many colums of building, reviews, and plans to old potty mouth Don Dewey (RIP). Now that I am retired I still don't have time to go back and build some of the old plans I had wanted to build. I refuse to give them up for now. They don't take up that much room in the garage and who knows, maybe when I finish my afternoon nap I may just get some out and read them again.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

I have model magazines going back to the 1950's and I am 53 years old. Sometime between 1968 and 1970 I wrote a letter to the editor of American Aircraft Modeler and they published my letter. It was the last letter to the editor of that issue so it was in the back pages. I would love to have a copy of that issue and have bought several American Aircraft Modeler magazines on Ebay but have not found the one with my letter. It was signed "Steve Gibson" I was responding to an editorial that said most young kids were spending their money on pinball and not model airplanes. I responded by saying I was saving my money for model airplanes. Anybody out there have that issue ? Let me know the month and year if you find my letter !
Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Live Wire

Hoss
What do you charge for shipping
Old 06-24-2008, 08:45 PM
DStone

I am 54 and my magazine collection numbers over 2600 issues ranging from 1939 to the present. It includes MAN, Air Trails and its subsequent incarnations, Flying Models, RCM (every issue except for six or so), R/C Report, Model Aviation, and a few Model Builders and British magazines. This doesn't include a number of issues of MAN and Model Builder that I donated to the local federal prison in the mid-80's. I stopped keeping the new issues of Model Aviation after 2002 and MAN after 2006 because space was running out to store them. I go through these, clip out articles I want to keep, and recycle the remainder. Lots of copy paper boxes full of magazines in the shelves. Copy paper boxes are just the right size for storing magazines.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Sir Crashalot

Guys.....Guys......Guys!!!!

Never,...I repeat. Never throw anything R/C away. One man’s garbage is another man’s gold!!
Put it on ebay and make a little money off of it. Or offer it here on RCU, but at least give the rest of us a chance to rescue the stuff. Old mags and old plans are part of our R/C history. We need to protect and share that heritage,... or risk losing it. I love the old stuff. With fewer kits, and more ARF’s being made, we need to keep the old planes (and old flyers) flying!!! Just my two cents! Sorry for the rant. Stepping down from my soap box now.

Thanks,

Bob J.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Dan D

Hi, I have many old mags going bact to the early 60's including American Modeler ( with many of Walter Musciano plane designs, built using planking) and issues from all the companys to the present. I also have Mc Coy, Wen Mac engines in maney sizes and the original Duraplane kit ( it had curved wing tips). I'am sorry if this sounds like a add, but just a idea of what I have collected over the years. I would love to clean house and sell a lot of this.Any body have any interest in this stuff contact me at [email protected] .How many remenber buing these mags for $.35 yes 35 cents, and that was a lot of money back then.Thanks Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 06:41 PM
AlphaWhisky

Amused to read through this thread.

Moved house in a big way several months ago and decided to have a big cleanout of clutter - not solely confined to model plane gear.

I had several cartons of model plane magazines, both British and American, going back 40 odd years and mostly collected via subscription. I have retained a few, mostly British 'Aeromodeller' magazines with their priceless scale three-view drawings and considered the rest to be surplus.

To my way of thinking these were all too good to be just junked. I spent quite some time visiting three local high schools trying to donate them to their libraries and the reaction from all three was as though I had escaped from some sort of mental institution.

In the end I gave them to the local, very active, Classic Aircarft Museum which is based at our local airport. They were delighted to receive them......

Alan W

Old 07-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

Sir Crashalot.....you are exactly right. I throw nothing away. I am 52 (almost 53) and I have mags going back to the 40's both full scale and modeling. Plans, catalogs etc.....I keep it all. Sometimes I look at it all and wonder why I keep some of it, but I can't quite bring myself to throw it away. I also have four bookshelf units full of aviation related books.....I use these for documentation since I build scale. I don't even want to know how much money I have tied up there....but they are my pride and joy.

Jeff

Old 07-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Sir Crashalot

Alan

I applaud your efforts!!! As it turned out, I think an aircraft museum is the absolute best place for your collection. A place where they are appreciated, and will be well taken care of. But at the same time, be available for others who share the love of flying. Great job!!

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Sir Crashalot

Jeff

Thanks for the thumbs up! It sounds like you have a great collection at your place. A place that I wish I could spend some time. Sort of like a “Disney world†for vintage freaks like myself!

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: DStone

I am 54 and my magazine collection numbers over 2600 issues ranging from 1939 to the present. It includes MAN, Air Trails and its subsequent incarnations, Flying Models, RCM (every issue except for six or so), R/C Report, Model Aviation, and a few Model Builders and British magazines. This doesn't include a number of issues of MAN and Model Builder that I donated to the local federal prison in the mid-80's. I stopped keeping the new issues of Model Aviation after 2002 and MAN after 2006 because space was running out to store them. I go through these, clip out articles I want to keep, and recycle the remainder. Lots of copy paper boxes full of magazines in the shelves. Copy paper boxes are just the right size for storing magazines.
I have also collected magazines for a long time ranging from 1934 to present.
In 55 years of model building it has been interesting to see how things have improved and have become less expensive relative to personal income.
What is even more interesting is how little the human element has changed. I can go to almost any year and find something about how something is causing the loss of a flying site, is destroying creativity and building, is giving unfair advantage to those with purchasing power,is too expensive to join and on and on.

The bottom line is that while it is a bulky way to maintain a perspective and remember how we got here, I will hold on to mine a while longer and let the "kids" make the final disposition of this fine paper.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 PM
H5487

Folks,

If you have old model magazines and cringe at the thought of simply dropping them in a dumpster, PLEASE donate them to the Spinal Cord Injury Ward of your local VA Hospital. Most of these guys will never walk again and many may never leave the hospital. They are sick of watching TV and reading the same worn out magazines and books. Many were modellers before they joined the service and that blood still runs deep. They don't have to be recent issues - Even an October 1972 RCM or MAN will be well appreciated!

And while I'm on the subject, why not organize a visit by your R/C club to the VA hospital on some Sunday afternoon. Showing off your models to some appreciative disabled vets does a world of good for them and you! (Attention Boy Scouts: Such a visit/demonstration satisfies the community service requirements of several merit badges.) Be sure to take your Air Hog Aero Ace with you to demonstrate on the hospital lawn! (You probably won't be allowed to fly anything bigger or louder.)

Thanks,
Harvey Hartman
MSgt, USAF
Houston
Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

I hate to ask but the title of the thread caught my eye. I've been searching for a '77 December copy of "Scale R/C Modeler". Ebay has turned nothing up on my two year old watch list.

It has a 1/2A schoolyard scale Citabria that I have blueprints for, but the build article copies are super poor. I asked the seller and he said his masters were just as poor.

They are readable, but this has become a favorite plane of mine and would like something with a bit better quality to go with it.

If anyone remembers this and has a copy, I would sure appreciate updating what I have. Sorry I don't have the December cover picture for reference. Thanks!

I'm not intending for everyone that has collections to run and look, but this magazine title itself is rare and not sure even existed that long so I'm having a hard time finding it.

I tried finding the publisher of the time to see if I could order or at least track down a back-issue but could not discover who put the magazine out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86072.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	988434  
Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
skyraider71

I'm not an "old guy",and I've only been in the hobby for nine years,
but my interest in vintage R/C is growing. When people drop off their
old mags in our club house, I raid them imediatly! I recently scored
a june '68 MAN, what a treasure! I would like to find the other issues
for that year. That seemed to be a neat time for the hobby.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
iflyj3

Skyraider71,

Come on down to Lexington, there are about 5 of us interested in the old stuff. Yes, I am old (66+)......
I am a member of the Vintage Radio Control Society and will be in Muncie at the September meet. These meets are laid back and a lot of fun for young and old. Join us and listen to how we used to do it. Some are still flying reeds and single channel. As a matter of fact, I just came from the field where I flew my 1970 built rudder only Jr Falcon. I am still flying my own design that I built in 1967. However, I do have a few that were recent builds.

I am starting on a Ambriod Charger for the Worlds Rudder Only Championships in Muncie in September of 2009. This will be a special 5 day meet.

The 60's were the golden years of RC. I just didn't know it then......
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM
skyraider71

I may have to take you up on the invite. I'm interested in the VR/CS, and the meet
in september. My most "vintage" model is the SuperSportster .40 I just finished.
Traveling is tough for me these days, and I don't have a Qualifying model, but I'm
going to try to go anyway.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: skyraider71

I may have to take you up on the invite. I'm interested in the VR/CS, and the meet
in september. My most "vintage" model is the SuperSportster .40 I just finished.
Traveling is tough for me these days, and I don't have a Qualifying model, but I'm
going to try to go anyway.
The qualifying model is easy to obtain now. Goldberg has ARF'ed the Falcon 56 and the Sr Falcon. I have the SR Falcon ARF with a 46 in it, but a 40 would fly it fine. These ARF's qualify for the VRCS. The only part of the VRCS they can't be used is the concours part, which you have to be the builder of the model so no ARF can compete in that. However, that is only a small part of the flyin's.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
skyraider71

I've considred getting the Falcon 56 arf, stripping it, and recovering it more
to my liking. The Falcon III kit is terible! and the arf is more authentic. I wish
we could get the mk II kit back! I just learned of "Early R/C", they offer
some neat stuff, they have the Falcons in their original form. BTW, I checked
out your club site, I'd love to fly there! Your Cub meet looks like fun.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: skyraider71

I've considred getting the Falcon 56 arf, stripping it, and recovering it more
to my liking. The Falcon III kit is terible! and the arf is more authentic. I wish
we could get the mk II kit back! I just learned of "Early R/C", they offer
some neat stuff, they have the Falcons in their original form. BTW, I checked
out your club site, I'd love to fly there! Your Cub meet looks like fun.
By the time you strip an ARF and make it ready to recover, you could build the kit fom Early R/C. Bob Harris designed that kit and IIRC it is laser cut, so the parts should fit like a glove.

Yes, the Cub fly was just over a couple of weeks ago. Attendance was down from last year, probably because of gas prices. It is now Cubs and Classics. Basically anything before 1950 (I think).

Come down and fly as a guest sometime, AMA membership is the only requirement for guest.