Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

?? Covering /painting Lil Esquire

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

?? Covering /painting Lil Esquire

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 AM
cvint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? Covering /painting Lil Esquire

I have covered fuse with silkspan and Brodak yellow butyrate. I plan to cover the wing and stab with Polyspan and butyrate. Will the butyrate shrink
so much that it warp what appears to be a fragile stab ?
Also, will any automotive spray paint ( spray cans ) go over the butyrate (for spray on windows ) ?

Thanks
Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ?? Covering /painting Lil Esquire

How much butyrate shrinks depends on whether or not it is plasticized. If it is (sometimes called "non-tautening") then you will be fine, and you will probably want to shrink it up a bit with your iron. Polyspan is nice that way - it will tighten up some with heat, but the shrinkage is moderate and controllable.

If your butyrate is not plasticized it will shrink quite a bit over a long period, and could cause a problem.

Sig "Litecote" and all of the colors are plasticized and do not shrink a lot. Sig "Supercote" is not plasticized and does shrink a lot. My recollection is that Brodak dopes are all plasticized. Check the label or the website.

I would NOT try to use automotive spray paint over butyrate. Butyrate is not very compatible with other paints. Nitrate will work as a base for a wide range of paints. But are you sure the automotive paint is HOT fuel proof?

I would use Sig or Brodak colors. They are compatible with each other, so take your pick.

RCU sticks smiley faces in where I put closed parentheses. I don't know why or how to undo.

Jim