Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Enlarged Ziroli Swoose

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Enlarged Ziroli Swoose

Old 07-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Lou Melancon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enlarged Ziroli Swoose

Just about ready to fly, this Swoose is enlarged to 72" span, power is a Thunder Tiger.75 4c, weighs about 8 lbs, wings, stab and rudder covered in antique coverite; fuse glassed then all painted with Klasskote Epoxy paint finished with clear.

View from the top

Rear quarter view

Front view. Two lines hanging down are fuel overflow (3 line system), and breather line from the TT.75 which exits through the backplate.

Way too much time carving, cutting and fitting that darned cowl. Engine is inverted and buried so a remote glow driver is used to get fire in the hole.

A build along with lots of photos is posted on the forum of our club, Georgia Model Aviators's, web site go to: http://z11.invisionfree.com/GMARC/in...?showtopic=193

Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Enlarged Ziroli Swoose

Lou, that Swoose is WAY COOL!! Very nice build with great colors. Only thing I suggest you add is a set of cymbols to your inner knees for the maiden flight...you know...just so you can have a bit of "music" to go along with the flight ! Have a great first flight and let us know how she flys.

Soft landings. Joe
Old 07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh! My!

What a beautiful plane made beautfully!
Good work and I for one want to see video! Not only of the plane in flight but the reaction from those who see this for the first time!

Robert
Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
lilbutch
My Feedback: (64)

Boy that sure is a nice looking bird. i have to put that one on my build list. (BUTCH BASSETT)
Old 07-15-2008, 09:06 PM
dicknadine

Fantasic covering/ stripeing job. looks fantastic enough to hang in the museum. keep us posted on its flights. dick
Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Lou Melancon

The test flight take off was very smooth with a couple of bumps of left rudder to keep it tracking straight, airborn in about 200 feet and set up a low climb to altitude. Lift off was done at three quarter throttle. It is a gentle flier and drops the left wing in a stall. The rudder is far more authoritive than the small ailerons in turns and you need to coordinate them to get the best turn and roll rate. Inverted is good, initially you have to give it a good bit of down but once flight slope is achieved you can back most of the way out of the down elevator.

It looks good in flight. The gull wing is eye catching and the rudder, cockpit lines stand out. It was stable enough to take down to about 50 feet and do lazy figure eights. It is exactly what I was looking for - a nostalgic plane that could have been flown by Bill Barnes, a gentle flier that has enough oomph to easily do loops from level flight, and good slow flight characteristics. The Thunder Tiger .75 4C is a very good match for the plane. Now the decision is what to build next ... kind of been looking at a Miles Hawk Speed Six at about 84" span...

Did I say it was hot? 90+ degrees and high humidity. After four 10-12 minute flights I put it away and will go over all the nuts and bolts to see if any maintenance is needed before flying again.

Here I am holding the Swoose:

Old 07-19-2008, 03:24 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

BRAVO!!! LOU, BRAVO!!!

So glad your first flight on the SWOOSE went well. I really like the looks of your build and you'll be turning heads in your area for awhile with that colorful bird. Gotta love that southern summer...used to live in Cullman, AL. I can talk "hot" all day with you...[8D].

Soft landings and best to you on your next build!!

Joe