Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Old Sterling films/plates found

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Old Sterling films/plates found

Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM
service-partner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Sterling films/plates found

Have some old Sterling model films/offset plates that I recently acquired.

Anyone know if this stuff is worth anything before it gets scrapped?

Many different films that were used for making the box wraps and plans for
many planes, boats, and cars.

e-mail me if any interest/opinions on what I actually have here, as am not familiar with this kind of stuff.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99253.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	990414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28434.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	990415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56188.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	990416  
Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Old Sterling films/plates found

I bet all of it has some worth but something like this might have limited appeal.

What are the sizes of these?

I would like to have the Ringmaster but I have no idea what I would do with it. Must be the "cool" factor.

Do you have others?

Robert
Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
service-partner

I have *ALOT* of these Robert. Many planes, boats, and I saw some cars in there too.

Some are just "Box wraps" , which I assume are the graphics they used to make the boxes. and Some say "Master setup", which I would think are everything, including instruction booklets.

I am not into the model hobby personally, but I am into other collectable stuff, and it almost seems like a sin to dump these. Especially if there is a collector base for Sterling models, which by looking at Ebay, there seems to be.

Steve
Old 07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
build light

There is definitly a collectors base for Sterling. Actually most probably are split int the car, plane and ship genres.
I myself have no real desire for the larger stuff But I have emailed you with some that I have interest for.
plans or illustrated instructions. maybe if you have some of the die cutting too

Robert
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
build light

Even as nice as these are, even to collectors such material is going to have limited appeal.

Robert

Old 07-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

I couldn't begin to guess what the items might auction for, but if you don't sell 'em (on the auction site or here on RCU) you might consider donating the lot to the AMA museum of model aviation in Muncie, Indiana.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 07-14-2008, 09:07 PM
Sir Crashalot

Steve

I think what you have is valuable. But mostly from a historic stand point. The film you have, “flats†as they are called, were used to “burn†to an offset plate using a powerful UV light. A process that is now seldom used by most printing companies. A digital process is now the standard, and film is no longer used. So it will be difficult at best, to utilize these films. Also, these plates were made to run off thousands of prints. One or two copies for personal use would be cost prohibitive as these would require large format printing presses. Having said all that,.... Please do not throw anything away. What you have in hand is a large part of our R/C heritage. Something that I hope can be saved. I don’t know what prices you are asking, but I would be interested in the plans. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of $$$$. Have been laid-off for more than two years now, due to this bad economy. I think Scar’s suggestion of contacting the AMA is a good idea. That would be best for all. However, ebay would give people a chance to save what their budgets would allow.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: Sir Crashalot

Steve

I think what you have is valuable. But mostly from a historic stand point. The film you have, “flats†as they are called, were used to “burn†to an offset plate using a powerful UV light. A process that is now seldom used by most printing companies. A digital process is now the standard, and film is no longer used. So it will be difficult at best, to utilize these films. Also, these plates were made to run off thousands of prints. One or two copies for personal use would be cost prohibitive as these would require large format printing presses. Having said all that,.... Please do not throw anything away. What you have in hand is a large part of our R/C heritage. Something that I hope can be saved. I don’t know what prices you are asking, but I would interested in the plans. Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of $$$$. Have been laid-off for more than two years now, due to this bad economy. I think Scar’s suggestion of contacting the AMA is a good idea. That would be best for all. However, ebay would give people a chance to save what their budgets would allow.

Thanks
All true most of these items are not much of real use to most unless you knew someone who would run off a few copies as a favor.

As for the "plans" a major portion of what Sterling offered in their kits did not show all parts flat and full sized. This means that one could use the parts that are shown full size and would have to "fake" the rest. This is especiallt true of the half A model controlliners that might show just the profile of the fuse, but one would have to guess at the wing outline.
Some of the early models may show all parts full size. I do not know which ones.

Robert
Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM
service-partner

Thanks so much for the info, very interesting stuff. I'm still not sure yet whats going to happen with this stuff, but for right now we have decied to keep them all together until we can do some more research. Thanks again for the info.

Steve
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Sir Crashalot

Steve

I’m glad that you have chosen to keep this collection together until you have decided what to do. I hope that you find a way to utilize, and then make these once again available to the hobby. It would be great to see these old kits in the stores again. Or have the plans available for building.

I wish you the best of luck. However if you ever feel the need to dispose of any of this stuff, please post here again so that it gives us an opportunity to make a save. It’s all about history, and keeping the old stuff alive.

Good luck

And thanks again
Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take a look at this site.

http://home.mindspring.com/~jeff.coo...terlingmodels/
Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

There are a couple of Model Aircraft Museums in the US - the AMA has one and I can't remember where the other major one is. Does someone know how to contact them, to see if they'd be interested?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Crash mentioned, the other thing being is that the size of the paper available today is all wrong. Yours was most likely done to the older Offset sized paper. That is larger than the common old 36 inches of today. Thus it takes a couple of passes to get one full image if any one dimemsion is larger than about 35 inches.

Then too the desirability, is the thing. A few of the Older Sterling kits were just not popular. They were essentially a box of wood, in which the builder had to sand away everything not shown on the plan. Thus they became unpopular.

I got a bunch of the Old De Bolt plans out back and they are to the large offset size also.

Wm.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:02 AM
salat
My Feedback: (4)

wow. I see P-61 Black Widow
I have scan of this plan.

Kostya
Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

Then too the desirability, is the thing. A few of the Older Sterling kits were just not popular. They were essentially a box of wood, in which the builder had to sand away everything not shown on the plan. Thus they became unpopular.

Wm.
Don't forget the 10# + balsa they used in their kits. I have a Sterling Mustang with wing ribs that are harder than @#%$(![:@]

And the rough machined blocks that were supposed to be shaped into cowlings, etc.

Rule of thumb for builders of Sterling kits: Open box, remove plans, canopy, decals, hardware, etc. and throw the rest out (after you traced new parts!).

How come we love them so much???? For nostalgia reasons.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:50 AM
boberos

There is a guy in Georgia who has an amazing website about all Sterling kits & more.
Why not send your stuff to him.
Many plans as well.
Can't remember his name but do a search here & you will find it.

Bob
Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
boberos

Found it here.

His name is Jeff.

//home.mindspring.com/~jeff.coons/vintagesterlingmodels/index.html
Old 08-17-2008, 08:47 AM
salat

nice site. but he doesn't reply to email. and his site generates safety warning in Internet Explorer
Old 08-17-2008, 10:59 PM
ifr2lax

I have recently, and in the past, sent e-mail to Jeff Coons at the Vintage Sterling Website without getting a reply.

I sent several e-mails with URLS to him regarding several Sterling models available from LAZER-WORKS as short kits. I thought that would generate some interest. Nothing.

So, I have no idea whats going on.

Occasionally the site, ( the Sterling vintage site ) is updated, so it is current but I have never received a reply to a e-mail.

Anyone else have some insight here?

Pete
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 AM
salat

I tryed to contact him with intention to offer exchanging of plans. Without success. Seems that author given up on idea wich is not good considering amount of plans he have.
So if somebody here interested in exchanging Sterling plans SCANS, please contact me. I have P-61 BlackWidow 6 way kit plans.
Kostya