Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

First Flight (sort of) Midwest Attacker

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

First Flight (sort of) Midwest Attacker

Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
cutterjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight (sort of) Midwest Attacker

For those of you who might remember, tomorrow I'm planning on taking out my Midwest Attacker for some flying tomorrow.

A quick refresher, the Attacker was one of three foam "ARF's" (nothing like today's ARFs) that took longer to build than a regular kit!

The trainer was the Cardinal, the Attacker was the middle/intermediate and the highest performance was the Chipmunk. The Cardinal was for .10-20 (I believe). We flew it with an OS 15, many, many years ago. I flew the Attacker a couple of times with a K&B 40 (which never worked well, likely it wasn't well broken in and tuned). I still have the chipmunk in the box and haven't decided what to do with it. All reports are that it was a great little plane.

Anyway, if memory serves, the Attacker was a real little rocket. It hasn't been in the air since the late 80's, and now is sporting an Enya SS40BB and spektrum radio and digital servos. I have been retuning my flying skills and feel a lot more comfortable after having done some 25 flights on my newly built Kadet Mark II.

Can't wait to see it go! Hope it goes as well as I remember it!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: First Flight (sort of) Midwest Attacker

I killed 2 Atatckers, I now have one built but unflown, and another one in the box.
It does a crazy opposite rudder skid turn....maybe the annhedral?
(push the rudder right, it falls off to the left and visa versa.)
Yeah, ARF's that took a good week to build.
Dave
Old 07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

I remember a buddy of mine had an Attacker and it flew OK. Had an OS 40H with an MRC radio. He attacked the ground doing a low roll one winter day and the ground was the winner.

One of the first planes that I had was a Cardinal. I poweredit with a Cox Sportsman 15 with a Hobby Shack Cirrus 3 channel radio. Nice flyer and first plane I did totally solo. Flew that forr quite a while then on to 4 channel stuff. Back in the day (early 70's) a guy had to learn to fly on 3 channels. Only the "good guys" had 4 or more. The club I was in had an H-Ray that you could rent for a quarter a flight wet. I remember eating crackers for lunch in school to save money for flying on Saturdays.

Several years and a lot of 4 channel stuff later I had the Chipmunk and it was a fantastic flyer. It flew like my 60 size Tiger Tail. It had an OS 15RC with a JR radio and standard size servos. You could shoehorn a 4oz tank and a 450 battery without the case (remember hard cased batteries) up front. It did crazy snaps and spins. Used to fly it all the time even when the bigger ones were done for the day.

Midwest always had some nice RC kits from back in the esquire days.

Peace

Mark O
Old 07-23-2008, 09:58 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Ah yes, the Chipmunk and the OS MAX .15, perfect harmony!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48407.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	996484  
Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
cutterjohn

Quick update. the first two flights went very well. It flew like it was on rails and with the Enya 40 on it, it isn't lacking any power.

The last flight for this plane was at least 20 years ago! Can't wait to get it out again, waiting on a battery repair and clear weather.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Dave:

If I still had a picture of mine that was it. I rmember what a pain cutting all those solarfilm strips. I wish I had all three Midwest foamies today.

Good luck guys

Peace

Mark O
Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Do you guys remember that green filler that Midwest had for the foam models. I was cleaning out my late father's garage for an estate sale of his house and found an unopened bottle of the filler. Must have frozen for the last thirty winters but the bottle still looks cool. All I need are the planes to go with it.
Peace

Mark O
Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Merlin1205
My Feedback: (2)

Think it was called Styromate ?
I remember it made a great base for painting but it weighed a ton.
I used it on the Midwest chipmunk and it was beautiful but didn't fly very well as it was so heavy.
Makes me realize how far Arf's have come.

Regards,

Tim
Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 PM
cutterjohn

I used Styromate on the Attacker and it turned out pretty light... but it was a huge pain to work with... It took forever to sand it off after having put it on. Polyester resin was easier to work with. If I did it again (which I guess is pretty unlikely, because I'd have to find some that isn't 25 years old), I'd mix it with thinner and microballons to ease the filling and sanding.

However, I've got to say that the plane performs! Straight and true like the first flight so many years ago.

I also built the Cardinal, back in the day. Gave that plane a beating, for sure... One day, I actually ripped the rudder (okay, vertical stabilizer) clean off of it and it did a flat spin down into a bean field. No real damage, other than missing the vertical stabilizer. Made one from balsa and was back flying the next day.

I still have the Chipmunk, in the box. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. It isn't on my 'build list', but I have heard that it is a great little flyer. One day, I'll have to decide.

Right now, I've got to finish a Pilot QB-40S that I started way, way back (like 20+ years ago) that is just about ready to go, and then a Airtronics Jetfire 40 (which looks alot like the Attacker). I was thinking of doing a nice glass job on that one, and painting it up nice, if it wouldn't end up too heavy.

This winter, I'm thinking of a Sig Kobra or potentially a House of Balsa 1/2a (FW-190 or P-47). Probably will end up buying both... and building 1/2!

Did a couple of flights today with the attacker and it really does go on rails. Easy to fly but fast!

Old 05-03-2021, 12:36 PM
P.A.Bathe

Default Loved this plane, built several

I was delighted to see a thread discussing this kit. I've built and flown many RC planes over the years and this was always one of my faves. It was an easy build and one heck of a lot of fun to fly. My first one was in my late teens and I flew the crap outta that first one. I was in an RC club on Hilton Head Island SC and we got together and flew a couple of weekends a month at the polo field in Hilton Head Plantation. I had cut the canopy area out so that I could remove it whenever I wanted access to the girl tank etc. I snapped the nose off on a hard landing because of my modification, LOL. I epoxied it back together and reinforced it with imbedded plywood planks and it never broke again. I eventually sold that plane and radio and moved on to something else.

I came back to the Attacker a few years later because I really enjoyed how it flew and it's ease of build and maintenance. Also, as long as you didn't plow it into the ground, it was fairly durable. That one ended it's life after several years of fun flying when an aileron servo malfunction turned it into a lawn dart.

I built a third one and flew it for a while. By then I married was a young father and ended up selling it to someone and got out of the hobby for a number of years. You check out if I had access to a kid I'd build another one today.