Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Southern R/C Alley Kat help!!

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Southern R/C Alley Kat help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southern R/C Alley Kat help!!

Anyone out their build one of these?? I have one question. For the love of god what goes at the end of the fueslage sides, between the horizontal stab and the vertical fin??????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13555.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1025378  
Old 09-03-2008, 01:28 PM
pd1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Southern R/C Alley Kat help!!

I sanded the insides of the sides down and used a small piece of trailing edge stock.
I'll have to go take another look and see if I can remember anything else.

I just found this one in the back room.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91915.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1025488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32313.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1025489  
Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Scratch built one of these from black line plans back in the early '90's and WHAT A NEAT PLANE; used a OS 45FSR. If memory serves me I tapered the rear of the fuselage sides and made a tapered filler from stick balsa (1/2" wide x 1/4" thick x whatever length) as a filler. Had a real blast flying that plane.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 PM
iflyg450

Sure does. I plan on using a tweked TT .46Pro APC 9X8, and a JETT Tuned Muffler. I also put a servo in each wing instead of the torque rod set up. For covering I have enough STITS Poly lite stuff for it. I like this stuff plus being a A&P I know how to get it on right! It works so much better than the SIG Koverall and dope route. If you have never used it, go google search for Stits Lite. Its a lighter unapproved matterial made for RC apllications It's VERY CHEAP AND SIMPLE!

Thanks for the Reply
Jason
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that Dave Brown bought out most everything related to Southern back about ten years ago.

Have you contacted them?

Wm.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks to me like your fuse sides are short compared to the plans.. maybe you could just move the whole tail section forward a bit. It may just be the picture, but it looks like the back edge of your fuse sides matches the back edge of the plans if you just slid them backwards a bit.

Hm, I've heard of paper plans shrinking and expanding with weather (humidity, mostly) - that's why drawings for machined parts, etc, all have to be dimensioned, rather than depending on the absolute size of the drawing.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 PM
iflyg450

I think the sides are short. The stick stock that run along the top and bottom for the formers goes all the way to the tail block. I brought the fueslage end to gether where the sticks end then made a wedge shaped block and put 1/8 sheeting starting where the fueslage ended a all the way and over the wedge shaped block. Not sure if that was right but it is a common to have a tail section come togethere like that. I have found that many time with a kit something I thought was going to be a big deal if I didn't do just so turned out to be just fine. I am no pro I have only put a dozen kits togethere over the past 5 years, and I am very proud of that I have only done one ARF and will never do that agine. Also I find I enjoy flying the older planes such as my SIG KOBRA and KING KOBRA. I can't get enough of flying my Contender and M.E.N. 40 and Midwest JESTER. They just seem to performe better. I think it is due to the lack of reliable engines and radio gear. It had to fly good dead stick because chances are that your Fox or Enya was going to crap out. Well thats my 2cents. If you guys have any sugestions for future builds lay them on me. I love tracking'em down I can't stand the idea of collecting. New to the hobby and welcome recomendations for planes.
Jason