Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sterling Spitfire

Last Sunday was a lucky day for me. As I was packing up after a good flying session, an old timer stopped by and said that he had a Spitfire and wanted to get rid of it. Thinking it was a built model, I said, "Sure, let's take a look at it." Well, when we got to his car and when he opened the trunk, there was a Sterling Spitfire (the large George Harris design) kit. The kit was in great shape and he just wanted to get rid of it (or he was just going to throw it away!) after having it for over 30 years. Anyway, I offered a few dollars and took the kit home. The kit is missing the landing gear (no big deal there), but it's also missing the canopy.

Does anybody out there have one of these kits and would be willing to loan me the canopy so I could get some copies made? I have a friend that pulls plastic for a living and does fantastic work. I'd really appreciate it guys! Thanks!

FB
Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Spitfire

There's a couple of sellers over on that auction site that have canopies available. I picked up one for a Royal Spitfire that looked close enough.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 AM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a canopy to offer, but perhaps some encouragement. In the mid-1960's I built the Sterling Spitfire and remember it as a great airplane. At first it was flown with a K&B 45 not enough power. Later it flew with a Supertigre 60 Bluehead. Then the power was sufficient. The airplane never was fast, but it flew nicely and was very stable in the air. Low passes were my favorite maneuver because I always loved the profile of the Spit.

On one occasion I fluttered the elevator on a prolonged full power dive and the nylon quick link sheared (duhh.... why did I use nylon ?). The airplane pulled out of the dive by itself and within a few seconds I realized that I didn't have any elevator control. By circling around at a low power setting I was able to fly it onto the ground with zero damage. It flipped over onto it's back and broke the prop.

Speaking of flipping over, you may want to consider moving the main gear forward a bit. Seems like I flipped it over a number of times. But remember, these were the days of reed radios and the level of sophistication in flying was pretty low.

Dick
Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a couple of sellers over on that auction site that have canopies available. I picked up one for a Royal Spitfire that looked close enough.
That's a great idea Mike, I'll check it out.

I don't have a canopy to offer, but perhaps some encouragement. In the mid-1960's I built the Sterling Spitfire and remember it as a great airplane. At first it was flown with a K&B 45 not enough power. Later it flew with a Supertigre 60 Bluehead. Then the power was sufficient. The airplane never was fast, but it flew nicely and was very stable in the air. Low passes were my favorite maneuver because I always loved the profile of the Spit.

On one occasion I fluttered the elevator on a prolonged full power dive and the nylon quick link sheared (duhh.... why did I use nylon ?). The airplane pulled out of the dive by itself and within a few seconds I realized that I didn't have any elevator control. By circling around at a low power setting I was able to fly it onto the ground with zero damage. It flipped over onto it's back and broke the prop.

Speaking of flipping over, you may want to consider moving the main gear forward a bit. Seems like I flipped it over a number of times. But remember, these were the days of reed radios and the level of sophistication in flying was pretty low.

Dick
Those are some very nice memories Dick! Thanks for sharing.

Still looking for an orriginal canopy that I can copy. Thanks!

FB