Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Crimson Skies

Old 05-24-2003, 06:51 AM
roadtrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crimson Skies

Has anyone ever thought about building one or more of the planes from the PC flight sim game, "Crimson Skies?" (www.crimsonskies.com) We could start a whole new cult in the R/C world!!!
Old 06-02-2003, 09:09 AM
watt_the!

Default Crimson Skies

that's not as silly as it first appears....not a bad idea...bottle it, register the idea, talk to microsoft, get hold of a manufacturer, start building, make a million bucks...

seriously.....
Old 06-02-2003, 09:57 AM
JCaste

Default Crimson Skies

believe me or not, I thought of posting a similar thing....
I think it would be great to have a 100" wingspan devastator
or brigand. This summer I'll try to make one out of foam for parkflying, 1.2m wingspan, .15 glow for power. If you like those planes you will enjoy the Air TRuk (similar odd shape )

There's not much in this thread, but will be fine for links:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hreadid=793851

I personally enjoyed the game (I just regret not being able to land on the ground ), and I think a CSkies plane would definetely be THE planes to fly, specially in a show. However it will be difficult to design/build them, because their CG is somewhat... unbalanced. Their odd shape keep their CG too far.
Just one more thing, I just would LOVE to be able to make a pod racer, or any other starwars flying vehicle... :
Old 06-02-2003, 08:56 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Crimson Skies

I've both played the game (and loved it) and thought about just this subject.

There'd have to be some basic changes made to many of them. Being virtual many of the designs are just not practical either from the standpoint of basic aerodynamics or just from having an engine that is totally out of place from the mass moment arm point of view. Also there would have to be some poetic license taken to adapt most of them to landing gear...... Unless you're thinking of a 1/4 scale airship to launch from and recover too....
Old 06-02-2003, 09:18 PM
watt_the!

Default Crimson Skies

if a flying lawnmower and witch on a broom can be made to fly, then the crimson skies planes must be a cinch!!

seriously, I think it can be done...can't see why not..at least some designs based on them...
Old 06-02-2003, 10:51 PM
JCaste

Default Crimson Skies

It can be done, but with those long noses you'll have to put everything on the back or put the engine back and connected via an axis. Challenging anyway. It can be done, but the design is for "pros only", because if you change too much then it changes and its not cool.