Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Who repairs old radios from the 60's & 70's ?

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Who repairs old radios from the 60's & 70's ?

Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who repairs old radios from the 60's & 70's ?

I collect old radios and have a couple of the Old Citizen-Ship DP - 4, four channel radios with the thick red anodized cases. I believe one is on 72 Mhz and the other is on 27 MHz. Can you recommend a person who can repair these old radios? I would love to fly a Falcon 56 with a Citizen-Ship transmitter.
Do you use the old transmitters and new receivers and servos? Where do you get AM receivers that will work with the old radios?
I also have Kraft, Orbit and Proline systems. Another prized possession is a complete PCS systems with the brownish anodized case. I assume the early Krafts are AM radios. When were FM systems first offered?
Steve Gibson
Houston, TX
Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who repairs old radios from the 60's & 70's ?

Joe Dumond in Ft. Worth should be able to fix you up. (817)457-6685
He has been in the RC radio repair business forever.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Steve, our very own Jayman does that type of work. He has refurb a Min-X and Citizenship galloping ghost systems for me already and I waiting for the Testors system to come in he shipped last week. I got 15 flights on my Min-X system during the Mid-South VRCS fly-in this past Memorial Day. He does quality work and his price is very reasonable.

Bob Harris
Old 10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Might also try Tony at http://www.radiosouthrc.com
Old 10-05-2008, 03:58 PM
maxpower1954

Steve, I used the Citizenship DPT TX with the Shoestring very sucessfully, on 27.

New full range recievers are getting scarce, at least the four channel types. I use the Futaba R-114 AM, and the HPI RF-2 (identical, built for HPI by Futaba.) Ebay has them pretty often. The new Futaba R-124 is not full range.

My C-S had the smooth white plastic stick tips, and was fatiguing to fly for more than about five minutes, so eventually I went to a 1970 MRC-700 (Futaba)TX;
much, much better ergonomicaly. Ron Ellis, Grotto2 on the boards here, does my radio work and a very nice job at that - you can contact him by PM. Russ Farris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91947.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1046464  
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
SGibson

Thanks Russ. I will contact Grotto.
The photo of your Shoestring and Citizen-Ship looks like it could have been on the cover of Model Airplane News around 1968 ! I would like to fly a Falcon 56 or a Taurus with my Citizen-Ship.
Thanks,
S Gibson
Old 10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
maxpower1954

Steve: Do your C-S transmitters have the metal serrated stick ends, or the smooth white plastic ones? Russ Farris
Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

For SGibson. The first FM radio appeared in 1968, from MRC. It was on 53 MHz, as FM was not yet permitted on 72. I had a report on it in the Jan 69 issue of Model Builder Magazine.
I know - WHAT magazine? Eloy
Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
jaymen

Hey Russ, did you use the original C-S receiver in the Shoestring?

I was unaware that Futaba had R114 AM receivers on 27mHz availlable in the USA, or were you refering to 72 mHz when you said that?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:54 PM
SGibson

My Citizen-Ship four and five channel transmitters have the knurled ends on the sticks. Eloy, I was looking through my old RC Modeler and Model Airplane News magazines a few weeks ago and saw a picture of you at a pylon race in California. The late 60's and early 70's were fun days for RC. All the planes were scratch or kit built. Very few run of the mill ARF's. Construction articles in every magazine. I was always waiting at the drug store to buy the latest magazine since I couldn't put enoguh money together for a mail order subscription !
Steve Gibson
Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
maxpower1954

ORIGINAL: jaymen

Hey Russ, did you use the original C-S receiver in the Shoestring?

I was unaware that Futaba had R114 AM receivers on 27mHz availlable in the USA, or were you refering to 72 mHz when you said that?
Oh my goodness no, Jaymen - I put too much work into the Shoestring to do something like that! Maybe in my ARF Senior Falcon.

Futaba airborne all the way...the R114 AM 27mhz receiver was available in the U.S. until a few years ago, I picked up two from Tower Hobbies.
Until recently, the HPI RF-2 was listed new on Horizon Hobbies web site, made by Futaba for HPI; it's the R114 design (I've looked inside the case.) In spite of the RF-2 name, it's a four channel.

I wonder what other AM 27mhz receivers, if any, are still made? Russ Farris
Old 10-08-2008, 09:06 AM
jjscott

Not exactly on the subject of old radios, but picturing one is this RCM cover from January 1966. It shows an F&M Matador reed set along with the original Goldberg Shoestring. There are plans and a construction article inside. Love your plane Russ.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35846.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	1048053  
Old 10-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While I don't have good recall for faces, we used to have a modeler here, in the early 1970's, Mahlon Smith, who was the builder of the very first Goldberg Shoestring kit. He was featured in some magazine pictures. I wonder if that's him with Carl in the pic, above. It's been so long that I would not be able to recognize him. One of his excellent models was an old six-foot span Berkely Cub. It was powered with a .35-size engine and would do the most beautiful touch-and-goes. Very realistic. That's the one that eventually became the Sig J-3 Cub, I believe.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:34 PM
maxpower1954

ORIGINAL: Bax

While I don't have good recall for faces, we used to have a modeler here, in the early 1970's, Mahlon Smith, who was the builder of the very first Goldberg Shoestring kit. He was featured in some magazine pictures. I wonder if that's him with Carl in the pic, above. It's been so long that I would not be able to recognize him. One of his excellent models was an old six-foot span Berkely Cub. It was powered with a .35-size engine and would do the most beautiful touch-and-goes. Very realistic. That's the one that eventually became the Sig J-3 Cub, I believe.
Yes Bill, that's him! Quote from page 4 about the January 1966 cover.

"Carl Goldberg, on the right poses with Meahlan (sic) Smith and Shoestring prototype. The Shoestring, featured in this issue, was designed by Carl and built by Meahlan. F&M radio equipment."

He has an unusual enough name a Google search might turn him up. Russ Farris
Old 10-08-2008, 10:20 PM
grotto2

ORIGINAL: maxpower1954

I wonder what other AM 27mhz receivers, if any, are still made? Russ Farris
Russ-
In another thread Jaymen has come up with a 27MHz AM single conversion receiver. Wonder if he could magically find a 4+ channel dual conversion 27 meg AM digital receiver for us?
-Ron
Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 PM
rcacro

That picture of Carl Goldberg and the Shoestring brings back some memories for me. I test flew the model on the first flight.
Hard to believe that its been over forty years.
The plans show a different spelling for the designer's name as Mehlin Smith. I really don't remember him as I only met him the one time for the test flight.

John Wisniewski
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 PM
bumpa53

ORIGINAL: maxpower1954

Steve, I used the Citizenship DPT TX with the Shoestring very sucessfully, on 27.

New full range recievers are getting scarce, at least the four channel types. I use the Futaba R-114 AM, and the HPI RF-2 (identical, built for HPI by Futaba.) Ebay has them pretty often. The new Futaba R-124 is not full range.
MR. MAX
I am also interested in using an old Citizenship 27mHz DP4 TX with updated airborne components. I am having trouble finding a Futaba R-114. I don't understand what your comment about the R-124 means. It sounds like it is not compatible. Please explain to this electrical novice.

Thanks
Bumpa53
Old 12-27-2008, 10:13 PM
maxpower1954

Hi bumpa53, the Futaba R-124 - the current production model - has only a range of about 6-800 feet. Fine for a park flyer, iffy for a larger gas model. It works fine, within the limits of range. There are other new full-range ( about one mile) 27 mhz am receievers out there, but they are going away fast! I just got home from a five day Christmas cruise, give me a day or two to hunt them down for you...Russ Farris P.S. I like the MR. MAX title, if only I could convince my family!