Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

June 1966 M.A.N. question

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

June 1966 M.A.N. question

Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default June 1966 M.A.N. question

Hey guys, I noticed in the VRCS eligible planes listing a Cessna with two/.49s, from the June 1966 Model Airplane News. That's all the info it shows. If someone could check their M.A.N. collection and tell me exactly what kind of twin Cessna this is, I'd really appreciate it...looking for a new project. Russ Farris
Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 AM
RFJ

Default RE: June 1966 M.A.N. question

Russ,

It's a 76" span Cessna Skymaster by Hale Wallace.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96382.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1050761  
Old 10-13-2008, 05:43 AM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Russ,

As Ray indicated it was the push-pull Cessna Skymaster designed by my dad. Small world as he lived in Rock Hill for many years before retiring from IBM and moving near Asheville, NC.
Royal used to import a line of Japanese scale kits that included a Skymaster which was a direct copy, even down to using a re-draw of my dads plans.

His WW1 Bristol Bullet was also published in MAN & that one's one my winter build list, for many years it was one of MANs best selling plans.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:14 AM
salat
My Feedback: (4)

Hi!
If so, would you mind to post those original plans? Or you selling them?
Thank you,
Kostya

ORIGINAL: Lotus72D

Hi Russ,

As Ray indicated it was the push-pull Cessna Skymaster designed by my dad. Small world as he lived in Rock Hill for many years before retiring from IBM and moving near Asheville, NC.
Royal used to import a line of Japanese scale kits that included a Skymaster which was a direct copy, even down to using a re-draw of my dads plans.

His WW1 Bristol Bullet was also published in MAN & that one's one my winter build list, for many years it was one of MANs best selling plans.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 AM
maxpower1954

Thanks Ray, I suspected it might be the 336 Skymaster. When I moved to Charlotte in the mid-1980s, one was at a used car lot(!) on Tryon street; It was the original 336 fixed-gear Skymaster, with wheel pants, minus wings; with a for sale sign!

Lotus, that's cool it was your Dad who designed this and he lived in Rock Hill. Did he compete with it? I figured it might be the Skysmasher; there weren't many twin Cessnas in 1966 (UC-78, 310/320, 336/337 and the 411.

I can always tell when a full-size Skymaster is coming - it has a very distinctive sound, almost like a buzz. Thanks guys, Russ Farris
Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
s. wallace

Hi Russ,

My Dad's Skymaster placed 5th in scale at the 65 Nats, would probably have ended up much higher but the model's test flight was round 1 at the Nats...it was just completed in time, not uncommon in those days.

He's better known in RC scale for his P-63 that earned many 1st place trophies all over the east coast and his Chipmunk that placed 4th at the 1970 World Champs and he was the team manager for the US scale team I think in 72, 74 and 76.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:39 PM
s. wallace

ORIGINAL: salat

Hi!
If so, would you mind to post those original plans? Or you selling them?
Thank you,
Kostya

ORIGINAL: Lotus72D

Hi Russ,

Kostya, Привет!

Unfortunately I do not have a set of Skymaster plans, only for the Bristol Bullet. Right now my wife & I are prepared to move into a new house starting next week so everything we own is boxed up. It may take a while but I could probably get the plans copied for you if that is the model you are interested in.

Scott
Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott,
I would be interested in hearing how long it would take your father from start to substantial completion of a model? I.ve heard precision scale models are never finished !
S Gibson
Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want to be blown away by a master builder, check out this project by Scott's father.

http://www.steenaero.com/articles_de...?ArticleID=148