Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

"Sparky" vintage R/C electric project

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

"Sparky" vintage R/C electric project

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM
ukengineman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Sparky" vintage R/C electric project

I thought you guys might be interested in my latest project to be completed. "Sparky" is a Harry Hundleby design originally published in Sep 1951 Aeromodeller for single channel R/C. It was described as having a breathtaking performance and was intended for single channel aerobatics. I started this project a long time ago for diesel power but when I got around to finishing it I decided to go for brushless electric. Construction is traditional as per the original and fuselage is covered with tissue over balsa sheet with wings and tail covered in nylon. Control is rudder and elevator, motor is a Scorpion 2215-18 and LiPo is a 3S 2200mAh.
I recently carried out the test flight. Full power climb was rapid, very little power required to just cruise, more power and loops and rudder rolls were good fun. I landed after 14 mins and a recharge took 931mAh, battery is 2200mAh so could have stayed up for a fair bit longer. A nice and unusual addition to my vintage R/C model collection.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10902.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1052433  
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: "Sparky" vintage R/C electric project

Don't you just love it when those old designs take "wing" again. Nice project and the electric idea on these old timers is great for keeping them clean. Can take 'em out to the park and let the youngsters see flying models the way they used to look...minus the noise and cleaning time. Have fun with 'er and keep her flying!

Soft landings.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:27 AM
jirvin

Wow - I know the Sparky

My first rc plane I saw fly was my dads Sparky.

I was 4 years old - now 52!

I keep getting keen to build one - I have the water damaged original plans with the pin holes.

Recently I obtained from the x list a fresh copy plus a mate gave me a copy of the original article.

Dad had his Wright single channel gear he made from a kit
- remnants of the are still in the rafters in mums shed.
I remember him winding the rubber for the escapement.

I think you model needs a scale cylinder head sticking out the top for the full affect

Thanks for the memory
cheers Jeff
Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 AM
ukengineman

Hi Jeff, it's nice to meet someone who knows the Sparky. It was a nostalgia trip with me, I built one a long time ago with a school friend. It had unreliable single channel radio and this combined with our inexperience back then meant that it didn't last long, nevertheless it left me with happy memories. I still had the rather tatty plan so I decided to build another one, with modern radio and many successful models later this one goes really well. I am sure you will have a lot of fun if you go ahead and build one. The picture shows Sparky during a slow fly by.
Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97272.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1054199  
Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 PM
billmod12
My Feedback: (1)

UK, Very nice!!! What did your total weight come out to be?? Cheers Bill
Old 10-18-2008, 06:09 PM
ukengineman

Hi Bill, the Sparky came out at just over 2 pounds flying weight - about 1kg. Wing span is 48 inches and area is 360 square inches.
Alan