Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Pulse Proportional reproduction electronics

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Pulse Proportional reproduction electronics

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 PM
jaymen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulse Proportional reproduction electronics

Here is a picture of the 5th Dorffler Ace Pulse Receiver Clone we have made. Also pictured are reproductions of the electronics that came in the Rand GG Pak, and Dual Pak.

The smaller of the two little Rand reproduction boards is the transistorized switcher as used in the GG Pak, it works with a 3.6 volt Nicad pack and Rand LR-3 actuator with a 3.6 volt motor.
There was a second version that came with an extra 3 wire cable and plug to connect the elevator servo, it was used in the Dual Pak on the rudder/throttle servo. This reproduction will replace either version. The switcher can also be modified to run 2.4 volt motors found in earlier Rand LR-3 actuators.

The larger of the little boards is the Rand Decoder/switcher used for elevator servos as used in the Rand Dual Pak. This is designed for high pulse rate systems and as such requires the use of a high pulse rate transmitter. This board also contains a 3.6 volt switcher to drive 3.6 volt motors. Like the other switcher, it too can be modified to drive 2.4 volt motors. This elevator rate decoder board plugs into the rudder/throttle servo's switcher and gets it's signal and power from it.

The two Rand boards pictured are hand made, the circuit board copper traces routed with a Dremel and super fine point carbide burr. They both use upgraded 1 amp matching output transistors that have much lower voltage drop than the originals and run cooler as a result. These devices work very well for motorized actuators, and I built the two boards to develope and test the newer transistors. A year ago I sold one on eBay, but deceided it took too long to make by hand to continue building them for sale. I have considered having a small run of printed circuit boards made so they don't take so much time to make, but it would only be feasable if I could be assured of selling at least a dozen of them. If enough people are interested and want to make a commitment to buying them, then I can have a small batch of bare boards made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39632.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1064342  
Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Trisquire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulse Proportional reproduction electronics

Are you making Ace actuator clones too? I traded my last one a few years ago.

Tom
Old 11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
jaymen

Reproducing the plastic molded parts, and stamped metal parts for an Adams actuator would require a mold to be made and tooling, very expensive and not practical. The same applies for the Rand LR-3, HR-1, and HR-2. These also would be too expensive to make molds for in the small quantities that the vintage market would want.

God only knows what Ace, Dick Adams, and Herb Abrams(Rand) did with the tooling for these. The molds, tooling, and I bet alot of extra parts either got tossed or put aside somewhere. If I knew where to get my hands on that stuff, I would have, but it seems to only surface one-sey two-sey in the hands of individuals.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Trisquire

Got you.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 PM
JMP_blackfoot

Hi, Trisquire,
I have posted some info here :
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8081677/tm.htm
Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Trisquire

Thanks JMP. Those Gridleaks back issues are a gold mine. I didn't want to give the impression I miss my actuator. I was just asking out of curiosity.

Tom
Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 AM
sotonflyer

Hello Jayman,

I would commit to buy two of the receivers if you do plan on making any.

Peter