Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

I need help identifying this plane....

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

I need help identifying this plane....

Old 05-31-2003, 12:32 AM
CrisM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help identifying this plane....

I bought this plane about 1-2 years ago from a local store. At the time, it had been discontinued by the manufacture and I had purchased one of the last kits. I crashed the plane into a pole on its first flight and destroyed the wing. It was one of my first planes and I figured I would just get a wing kit and foolishly tossed the original instructions/build plans. Seen as how the plane is no longer made, I cannot get a wing kit from the manufacture. I hate to toss this plane as it has never been more then 4 feet off the gound! I am hoping someone can identify the model of it and also point me into the direction where I could find either a wing kit or some instructions on how to build the wings. I am 90% sure the kit was made by "Goldberg".. It did not say "Carl Goldberg" on the plans, just "Goldberg" and it had a "G" with an arrow pointing to the right as the logo, if that helps. It was a very popular plane from what I was told. Hope someone knows what it is and can help me get it back into the air. Here is the pic:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	82672_37281.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	48627  
Old 05-31-2003, 02:17 AM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't recall this plane being goldberg.his main trainer till the 80's were the falcon and ranger as well as the skylane.then there was the eagle linefrom the photo it looks to be a shoulder wing design with a symetrical airfoil.the main gear are odd for goldberg.they were big on torsion type gear which did not use that 2nd gear leg.not much helpsorry.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:12 AM
CrisM

Originally posted by scalebldr
don't recall this plane being goldberg.his main trainer till the 80's were the falcon and ranger as well as the skylane.then there was the eagle linefrom the photo it looks to be a shoulder wing design with a symetrical airfoil.the main gear are odd for goldberg.they were big on torsion type gear which did not use that 2nd gear leg.not much helpsorry.
I could be wrong on the manufacture but I was pretty sure it was Goldberg. It is a fully symetrical, mid wing, advanced trainer.. It came highly recommended to me as a good entry level aerobatics plane for those whom had mastered trainers. It takes a 60 sized engine as well... Hope this helps someone to identify it..
Old 06-18-2003, 02:29 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

go to tower hobbies and look at the great planes easy sport 40. i dont think its the same plane but the wings atre the same desighn and look to be about the same cord.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:05 AM
DLHagen
My Feedback: (4)

CrisM:
Believe your plane is a GLOBAL Tornado ARF. There should be a few left around the Sacramento area as shortly after the kit was discontinued, our LHS (RC Country) obtained about a dozen and we grabbed them up in short order. Unfortunately, I too, did not keep any of the directions as they really were pretty useless. You should be able to reproduce a very close replacement wing by copying the 40 size Tower Kaos, as it also has a double tapered wing.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:25 AM
CrisM

Originally posted by DLHagen
CrisM:
Believe your plane is a GLOBAL Tornado ARF. There should be a few left around the Sacramento area as shortly after the kit was discontinued, our LHS (RC Country) obtained about a dozen and we grabbed them up in short order. Unfortunately, I too, did not keep any of the directions as they really were pretty useless. You should be able to reproduce a very close replacement wing by copying the 40 size Tower Kaos, as it also has a double tapered wing.
Thanks to all those who replied. I was able to identify it as a Global Tornado when I took it into RC country. Ironically there was also a gentleman standing there who had a complete wing that he gave me for FREE! I am almost done recoating the plane with a plum/grey color scheme and then will be working on fixing the engine mount. One question I have is this. The Tornado used an upside down engine mounting method. This I have found to be a pain in the butt. Can I redo the mounts to mount the engine sideways or will this mess up anything? Also, does anyone happen to know the balance point for this guy? Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:51 AM
buck1856

balance on the main front spar and youll be close to start with. set it a hair nose heavy with the tank empty.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:52 AM
CrisM

Originally posted by buck1856
balance on the main front spar and youll be close to start with. set it a hair nose heavy with the tank empty.
Yeah, this plane seems VERY tail heavy. A few have told me that is the case with this plane.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:02 AM
buck1856

after you balance from the front spar, fly it and you canalways move it back. the easiest way is to screw on the firewall a wheel weight. dont just use stick on, they will eventually vibrate off and they will do it at landing or takeoff so the gremlins will get your plane.