Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling RIMFIRE

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM
northiceman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sterling RIMFIRE

Thanks for the plans ! I'm well into the construction (having cut all parts with xacto knife!) - the body is nearing completion and the wing is roughed out as well as the vet fin/stab/elev/rudder. I'll install the ole Enya .29 RC I had in the original back in the '70's
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM
ChiefK

WOW!!! you are fast.

I had a Webra .40 in my Rimfire. It was GREAT!.

Greg
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
northiceman

Rimfire is coming along fine. Have it almost completely roughed out - complete with flaps.[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20975.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1846130  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM
ChiefK

This is my current project.... the Rimfire will be down the road a piece.

Greg

Name:	Yw66738.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1846543  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
northiceman

Rimfire is almost ready to test. Canopy on its way from Tower and I need to fix the tail feathers perm. Muffler is one I received with a Webra blackhead many yars ago. Fits most enyas and is very easy to install (one steel band with set screw that wraps around the cylinder. Gotta be careful not to tighten too much-you can actually distort the moving parts hat way.

Name:	Pn36012.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1850864  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
northiceman

Greg-what is that model you are building? I recognize the shape but cannot remember the airplane name :
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
ChiefK

The plane in the picture is an original J&J kit of a Troublemaker. I took my first J&J Troublemaker to the 1974 AMA Nationals in Louisiana and it got me a second place in Novice pattern (that was also my first contest). Picture below...

The Rimfire looks ready to go and a lot of fun.

Greg

Name:	Fc90492.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	1850907  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 PM
ChiefK

That Rimfire has GOT to be ready to fly.... how did it go?

Greg
Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
northiceman

Hey Greg - I guess I've been sleeping ! Just real busy with tax, planes, trying to get the remnants of the tons of snow off the 600 squares of patio ! I have not flown her yet - picked up a nice Enya muffler for the ole Enya .29 - weather is just too cold here yet - its -4 C today with a wind that makes it approx -10 C. Here is a pic of the PT-19 I'm trying to complete - its the old 89in Dynaflite kit I found in a Quebec hobbyshop in 2004 - will have a Rimfire 1.20 and two electrifly 11.1v x 3200 mah packs in series. Tested the 1.20 motor - nearly hauled my 8ft x 2ft wing table made of 2 x 4 and 1/2in plywood across the basement ! has a 16 x 10 prop. Should haul the PT-19 up there real cool.

Name:	Om32451.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1863114  
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
ChiefK

Very nice PT-19. I'm still working on the Troublemaker. Should be ready for paint in a week or two.

Greg
Old 04-07-2013, 04:40 AM
northiceman

Happy Masters Week ! Finally did the maiden Rimfire flight this am - flies great-I forgot how well this baby flies - and it glides like a big bird on dead-stik ! Yes-I HAD to try a dead stik landing. B-r-r-r! -it was a cool -8 deg C out there on the runway-hands went immediately into the pockets after startup for a few mins. Did not try the flaps-did one flight and returned to the pad to thaw!
This airplane can land with nose up real nice (if you keep the speed up) so I'm looking forward to an approach with full flap. Will try to get some pics of a "flapper" landing and post.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:50 PM
ChiefK

I'll look forward to the Rimfire pics. The Troublemaker is getting close. White base all-over. Red trim on the wing, Wing now masked for blue. The fuselage is also masked for blue and when that's set, will add a little red to the tail surfaces.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
northiceman

I believe someone around here found the defrost switch ! It may get warm enough to get a flight or two in tomorrow - if so, will post a few pics.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:21 PM
ChiefK

Here's a couple of pics of the Troublemaker...

Greg

Name:	Pn35847.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1874508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12006.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1874509  
Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Just in case someone is still looking:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/download_...an.asp?ID=3951
Dave
Old 04-13-2015, 02:30 AM
ChiefK

Originally Posted by fritzke
Just in case someone is still looking:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/download_...an.asp?ID=3951
Dave
The Rimfire remains one of my all-time favorite airplanes, along with the Troublemaker, and the Tsunami (which flys much like the Rimfire). Thanks for posting the link to the plans download site.

Name:	Rimfire1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	2088602  

Last edited by ChiefK; 04-13-2015 at 02:34 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 04-13-2015, 04:02 AM
northiceman

Hey Dave - thanks for the "wake-up call". I have MANY flights on the RimFire and I WILL post a few pics (as I promised - seems like so long ago - 2013). Been busy spending most of the winter in the Bahamas and fishing and building more models-etc. Now completing a 98 in Fokker D VII, a Super Lazy Ace and a Astro Hog (SIG kit). Until I get some action pics - this one will refresh a few memories...(the original kit box). BTW - still have 6 feet of snow on the deck here in New Brunswick !

Name:	397046.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	2088610  
Old 04-13-2015, 07:18 AM
ChiefK

Good to hear from you again Iceman.... Don't have 6' of snow in North Carolina, but still enough bad flying weather to be a problem.... mostly high winds.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Here are a couple of photos of my Rimfire from 1971 or 72. Please forgive the poor photo quality as these were from some really small snapshots common from those years. It was powered by an OS 40 HP and was a joy to fly for this then young and very inexperienced flyer. I would have to rate it as one of my all time favorite planes and it was flown quite a bit. The rubber bands on the nose are holding the hatch in place because the latch, whatever it was had failed. The only problem I ever had with the plane was from the horrible World Engines servos that someone talked me into buying. These would just fall apart at times and were the eventual downfall of the plane though it was rebuilt and sold to finance a new project. When the servos failed the last time and me being a bit of a hot head at the time, they were stripped from the plane and tossed to (4) corners of the field ..... where there were promptly retrieved by someone who later had the pleasure of them crashing his plane! Such were some of the adventures of those days.

Though it was a sterling kit, I remember it being of fairly good quality and not difficult to build.

Name:	Rimfire 4.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	2089013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rimfire 5.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	2089014  
Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 AM
ChiefK

Truckracer, thanks for jumping in. Good looking Rimfire. Mine (see above) was also a joy to fly, but it sounds like I made a good decision using Kraft servos. Too bad about the poor photo quality. I recall that I was using either Kodachrome or Ektachrome slide film in the early 70's (I took lots of pictures, so I couldn't afford real color print film and processing, but I did have a decent camera). Turns out, it was a good decision. You can see that my photo above is still in very good condition. I know now, that the fading color can be corrected, but the fuzzy focus can't be improved much. Check out my Gallery to see more very old photos as well as some newer ones.

ChiefK

Last edited by ChiefK; 04-14-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:31 AM
northiceman

Default Hey ChiefK - you still kikkin' ?

Had a heart attack since we last talked (2016) and am building a Ziroli P-51 Mustang and 3 others this winter.
Originally Posted by ChiefK
Truckracer, thanks for jumping in. Good looking Rimfire. Mine (see above) was also a joy to fly, but it sounds like I made a good decision using Kraft servos. Too bad about the poor photo quality. I recall that I was using either Kodachrome or Ektachrome slide film in the early 70's (I took lots of pictures, so I couldn't afford real color print film and processing, but I did have a decent camera). Turns out, it was a good decision. You can see that my photo above is still in very good condition. I know now, that the fading color can be corrected, but the fuzzy focus can't be improved much. Check out my Gallery to see more very old photos as well as some newer ones.

ChiefK
Old 01-28-2022, 11:42 AM
HankErnst

I'm new to this group and forum. I had a Sterling Rimfire complete kit that my wife throughout from a minor basement flood we had. Looking back, it was probably salvageable but that's history. I now have the plans, balsa and time to try again. I'll be scratch building so that's where I'm at. My question is the canopy. Any suggestions on where to find one or a similar one? I'll figure out everything else but I'm hoping someone knows if I can us something from a different kit that would fit and be the same scale size. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Hank
Old 01-28-2022, 08:50 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HankErnst
I'm new to this group and forum. I had a Sterling Rimfire complete kit that my wife throughout from a minor basement flood we had. Looking back, it was probably salvageable but that's history. I now have the plans, balsa and time to try again. I'll be scratch building so that's where I'm at. My question is the canopy. Any suggestions on where to find one or a similar one? I'll figure out everything else but I'm hoping someone knows if I can us something from a different kit that would fit and be the same scale size. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Hank
If they still make them, SIG use to have a line of canopies. They had a WWII version that would work well on the Rimfire.

Edit: I just looked at the SIG website. They still show their canopies as available.

Last edited by Truckracer; 01-28-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:50 AM
HankErnst

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Truckracer
If they still make them, SIG use to have a line of canopies. They had a WWII version that would work well on the Rimfire.

Edit: I just looked at the SIG website. They still show their canopies as available.
Thanks, I'll check it out. Appreciate the quick response.