Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Need Help Identifying This Engine

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Need Help Identifying This Engine

Old 06-02-2003, 02:09 AM
rc_for_me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Identifying This Engine

Once again I am turning to the engine guru's here at the Universe.

A friend has an old, possibly mid 30's aircraft engine that we would like to identify.

We dont know much about the engine but have posted pictures that hopefully can be used to identify it. Here is what we do know:

It was obtained in Japan during the American Occupation right after World War II

It does not have a glo-plug, it has a spark plug that is insulated with layers of Mica vs the more common porcelain insulation.

The numbers "89-39" are engraved in the side of the crankcase.

It appears to be about .35 in size.

We were unable to identify it in the Anderson Blue Book.

Thanks to all in advance for their input.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:03 AM
jetranger-RCU

Default engune

It looks like an OS 60 1940. Great Planes sold a repro around 1985 that OS made I have one looks the same, except OS used a plastic tank on the new one. 2000 were made in 85 by OS the first 1- 1600 went to Europe the rest 1601-2000 all numbered went to the USA. I have number 1601. The engine is made as well as any other OS. Have not run it yet, have a Power House almost finished I might put it in

By the way the motor is not large it's about the size of a 45
Old 06-05-2003, 06:58 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help Identifying This Engine

You might want to look at E-bay item #3133547260 OS K6 engine . Probably one like jetrangers. MAX H.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:16 AM
jetranger-RCU

Default engine

The engine shiown on E-Bay is the OS 60 they came out with around 1985 as a repro. The seller says he thinks he got it got it in the 70's. But he's wrong I got mine when I had a hobby shop and ordered it around 85 from GP