Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Spitfire

Old 06-16-2009, 02:51 PM
otrcman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sterling Spitfire

Hi Dick (otrcman),
I noticed along the way that you have been posting about the F3F but wondered if you ever did anything with the Sterling Spitfire?
Hope all is well.
Chris...

Hi Chris.

The Sterling Spitfire is well down on a very long list of "to do's". Things like yard work and car maintenance take an apalling toll on time that should be spent on airplanes. The F3F has been taking all my model building time. But it's almost a done deal. My son is helping me with computer generated artwork for the decals right now.

Have you made progress your P-63 since we last talked ?

Dick
Old 06-18-2009, 01:10 AM
stuntflyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dick,
I know the story. For me it's been going to work and "stuff".
Good to hear about the F3F.
I received all of my graphics for the King Cobra, have uncovered the wing and have found a myriad of sins like moisture damage, general rough construction and the ailerons are desperately in need of total redo of hinging and actuation. I wrecked my RCM Trainer so built (assembled) a ARF trainer for my son and am finishing a Kaos for me and will finish up the King Cobra this summer too. I'm going simple on the finish with Monocote wings and tail and a painted fuse so it isn't so daunting.
Hope you're well,
Chris...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
pixelpete

Greetings to all, I'm researching the Sterling Spitfire (i just got one on eBay) and have been reading up on various threads here. It seems that old kits are likely to have better quality wood compared to newer kits. Is there any way to tell from the box how old a kit is? This one is unopened, and I may keep it that way though back in the '60s I almost had my dad convinced that we should build one... So I'm looking for information about the kit. From reading old threads, there were some magazine articles that specifically dealt with the Sterling Spitfire. Can anyone help me out there? Here's what I gleaned so far.

1982 Scale RC Modeler (october & december) has article on building the Sterling Spitfire.

1962 American Modeler Magazine with the original article of the George Harris Spitfire.

I'd be happy to pay copying costs to get the info, though if you can scan the articles at somewhere between 180 and 300 ppi, I'd love to see jpg files.

In addition,scratchbuilder46 is sending me a copy of an article fromR/C Scale magazine which deals with interesting scale mods and retracts? Please let me know if you can help out with these or other articles. Sometimes after reading the negatives about the Sterling kits, I'm tempted to try the TopFlite gold kit, so insight about that dilemma would also be appreciated. I'm coming back to modeling after a long time, and will be all ears!

Pete
Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 PM
otrcman

Hi Pete,

Someone else may be able to give you additional ways to date your kit, but I call tell you much:

I bought my first Sterling Spitfire kit in the summer of 1963 after having seen the 1962 American Modeler article. It was purchased straight out of a hobby shop, so I'd assume it was manufactured in early 1963. That kit had plans printed in black ink. The radio installation details showed a reed radio.

A couple of years ago I bought another Sterling Spitfire kit on ebay. I don't know what year this second kit was manufactured, but the plans are printed in medium blue ink and the radio installation is a proportional rig.

If you read back in this thread you will also note that the wood in my later kit is much heavier and poorer quality than the early kit.

Dick
Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM
aerowoof

the early boxes were a thick rectangle that opened at the center undrt the label,the later kits are in a thinner wider ehite box.some of the earliest kits were in a maroon box.I would be interested on the mods article as I have the plans from aam from 1962 to buils from
Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 AM
pixelpete

Thanks for the info aerowoof, that puts my "new in the box" Sterling Harris Spitfire back to the early kit, that's cool! Thanks to Ray who kindly sent me a pdf of theFebruary 1962 American Modeler magazine. If anyone needs that article, I'll pass it on. I'm still looking for the build articles rumored to be in the1982 Scale RC Modeler (october & december) issues. Any help (pix of your plane?) much appreciated.
Pete

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

the early boxes were a thick rectangle that opened at the center undrt the label,the later kits are in a thinner wider ehite box.some of the earliest kits were in a maroon box.I would be interested on the mods article as I have the plans from aam from 1962 to buils from
Old 08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built the Sterling Spits in around 1964.It came out heavy.If I rememer right the top wing skins was thicker the the lower skin. The biggest engine I had was
a Veco 45. I gave it away to a Pal, and he never flew it. Here is the picture of mine along with WW1 that I built
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50087.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1484304  
Old 08-15-2010, 12:58 PM
pixelpete

Thanks for the picture, It's nice to see. Which one is you? When was it made? Too bad it never flew, unless it's still waiting to fly! Wouldn't a nice big 4 stroke engine overcome the weight problem? I de-aged the picture for you, I wish it was that easy to do it to me...

Does anybody have info about retracts and flaps? Would anyone compare the TopFlite Gold Kit Spitfire to the Sterling? I know the Sterling is old/vintage, but perhaps other interesting items of comparison?

Pete

Name:	Tr51176.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	1484305  
Old 08-15-2010, 02:40 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am holding the Spits.I build the model in`1963or 64. The guy holding the Nieuport 27 was a High School History teacher. I built this WW! plane from MAN plans. I also built me a Nieuport 24 from same plans. Just changed shape of Rudder and Stap. The Spits was covered with silk span and Dope. Added talc power to color dope to flatten the dope. I built a Top Flite Spits with OS 90 four Stroke. I sold it and the guy moved away and I never saw it fly. This model was coverd with fiberglass and expoxy. Painted it with spray cans, then put flat expoxy over the paint. I am a Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic and the Stearman is one of the 35 real Aircraft I have restored.It took me 24months to do the Stearman.
Look at my RCU Site

Name:	Tr50878.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1484390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68407.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	1484391  
Old 02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
davegarrett1974

what is the thickness of the wing ribs please ?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 PM
otrcman

Originally Posted by davegarrett1974 View Post
what is the thickness of the wing ribs please ?
I presume you're asking about the Spitfire ? The George Harris plans specify 3/32" ribs except where noted. I'd guess the Sterling would be the same, since the kit is based on Harris' plans.

Dick
Old 10-04-2015, 08:25 AM
silversurfer805

Hello Dick. I realize this is an old thread but I thought I would add some info. I brought out my Sterling Spitfire kit I purchased when the kits started drying up, somewhere around 1990. I am thinking about it for my next project when I finish the Great Planes Ryan STA-M that my friend and I built but needs a few mods before 1st flight. I have a lot of kits and this one looked pretty well designed and I think I can get a scale looking plane out of it when I complete it. I picked it because of the cost involved. The retracts are less expensive for this model than for a big Corsair or any of the other big kits I own. I have an extra 60 Engine to use, so the retracts are going to be the most expensive investment into the new plane. I have radios, so that is not an additional expense. Making it scale with the narrow main landing gear placement, it will be harder for landings and takeoffs than other kits. Still trying to decide on the retracts. If anyone is still readying this thread give me a suggestion on todays retract products that will be scale. Thanks. I do think the kit will build nicely, just will take more time to turn out a scale model.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM
otrcman

Silversurfer805,

Yes, some of us are still out here. I've not built my Spitfire either. If you learn anything about good retracts for the plane, please post the info.

As far as the narrow gear, I wouldn't let it worry me much. My first Spit tracked easily on takeoff and landing, other than wanting to nose over on landing. All the narrow gear means is that you will be more likely to drag a wingtip if you ground loop the plane. As I said, the plane goes pretty straight by itself. But today you could install a rate gyro in the plane and make it an absolute puddycat.

Dick
Old 10-10-2015, 05:57 AM
pd1

In case anyone wants to compare the Stirling Spit to the George Harris Spit from the 62 American modeler here's the plans for both.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Spitfire_Sterling_64in.pdf (2.62 MB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf
Spitfire_IX.pdf (1.84 MB, 45 views)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:07 AM
Pittscrazy

Thank you so much for posting the plans !
i recently picked one up at a swap meet and am anxious to finish and outfit her .