Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Smith Mini Plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:54 PM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smith Mini Plane

Was trying to decide on the next project, something kinda simple and not too "fiddly" as a good friend puts it. I stumbled across a set of plans that I had that I forggoten I had - a Smith Mini PLane. 1/3 scale I would guess - 88" span. Typical old school construction - there is some building to do, but nothing really difficult. Sticks, planking etc. The plan says it was designed by J.A. South in August of '79. The plan also says that glass pants and cowl are available from James Jefferey of Germantown, OH. Was wondering if any one was familiar with the design? And if there is a source for the glass parts for the thing? A search of Fiberglass Specialties site was no help. I could roll my own I guess. But I'm lazy that way. Any help any one has would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Holidays to all
Thanks
RG
Old 12-24-2008, 04:54 PM
billmod12
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Smith Mini Plane

I have some pics of full scale ones if any of that will help I will be glad to share. Cheers! Bill
Old 12-24-2008, 05:34 PM
RGM

Hi Bill -
Merry Christmas to you. Thanks so much buddy. I appreciate it very much. But I think I've alreay found the one I'll do. Not terribly exciting I guess. But then again, truth be known, I guess neither is the airplane. Haven't quite decided if this is even the one going on the bench. Looking at Norm Pages Mach I also. Had a couple of those way back when and they were sure sweet. This thing is probably just sport scale - haven't looked at that too closely. Not for competition anyway. Just for fun.

Many thanks Again Bill.
Take Care
RG
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42451.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1095932  
Old 12-24-2008, 08:04 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Hi RG,

Thanks for posting that pic of the Smith Mini Plane. Had not seen it before and I find it a colorful scheme for what is a nice flying plane. Might just do that on my Sig kit down the road.

Merry Christmas!

Joe
Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 PM
RGM

My pleasure Joe. Hope I didn't step on your toes by referencing the Mini as not terribly exciting. My apologies if I did. Just that comparing it to all the Ultimates, Ptts', Extra's, Edges's etc that abound out there, the lowly Mini seems almost professorial these days. Reckon thats one of the attractions it holds for me. I figure at 88", it should make a really nice, lazy afternoon, lawn chair touch and go's relaxer. The pic, by the way, came from Bud Davisson's great Airbum site.
Merry Christmas to you
Take Care
RG
Old 12-25-2008, 05:58 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

You didn't step on my toes, RG. I always liked the Smith Mini Plane and, having built one some time ago with an O.S. .45FSR on the nose, I can say it was a fun airplane to fly. Of course yours will be much larger but there is just something enjoyable about those biplane designs like the SMP. You don't have to be trying to rip the wings off a biplane to be having a good time flying it, eh?

Joe
Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 AM
RFJ

[quoteA search of Fiberglass Specialties site was no help.][/quote]

I see they do a glass cowl and spats for a 1/3 Mini Plane from the Harold Osborne plan. I suppose in theory if they are accurately scaled this should fit any 1/3 Mini Plane.

Ray
Old 12-26-2008, 10:37 AM
RGM

Ray -
Thanks so much. When I was cruising Fiberglass Specialties, I didn't even think to check Osborne's offerings. Osborne's Mini may just be the one. Wingspan matches, and the plan is from the Osborne era. When Craig reopens next month, I'll get in touch with him and do some forensics. Thanks again buddy. I'll keep you posted.

Joe -
I am in total agreement. Slamming an airplane around is just not my style. Product of my age I guess. I hold the 3D boys in the highest admiration for their abilities with the sticks. But traditional, old style, straight line aerobatics is more what flying is all about to me. And the Mini is more than capable of that style of flying.

Thanks Guys
Happy New Year
RG
Old 12-26-2008, 11:43 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just add 2/3s more and have a real one; it would still probably fit in your car. There is a real one at my airport for sale but it needs some work and I am a little too big for it. There is a guy here I think his screen name is OldScaleGuy and he offers a kit of one but I dont remember it it is 1/3 or 1/2, but if it is 1/3 he might have a cowl.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:10 PM
RGM

TFF -
If FSG doesn't pan out, I'll give OldScaleGuy a shout. After thinking about it for a while, I think there is a good chance that the plans I have are the ones that Hal Osborne was selling back in the day. He sold plans from several designers as I recall, and while I don't specifically remember this one on his list of offerings, I wasn't in the market for this type of project back then either. So I think the chances are at least reasonably good. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to recall that someone bought Osbornes stuff and was offering it again. Could be mistaken about that though. And by the way, I doubt seriously I would fit in a Mini Plane these days either.

Take Care
RG