Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival

Announcing the first Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival.
This is a Vintage Radio Control Society fly in that will be held May 23 and 24 in Lexington Kentucky at the Lexington Model Airplane Club field. Lexington is in the heart of Kentucky Bluegrass country. An area of fast women and pretty horses.

Our field has a 700 X 50 feet hard surface runway. A 600 X 60 feet grass runway. A 450x75 cross wind grass runway.

The coordinates for Google Earth are 38° 3'9.61"N 84°17'39.23"W

This year any plane designed before January 1, 1974 is eligible to be flown in the event.

The theme plane this year is any Carl Goldberg plane.

For more information see The Lexington Model Airplane Club web site at http://www.lmacky.org/event/eventcal.html and click or download the PDF.

For more information on the VRCS check the web site at http://www.vintagercsociety.org

Or email me directly at W B 4 G U K at A O L dot C O M remove the spaces and substitute the (@) and (.).

Dan Thompson in Bourbon County Kentucky
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28656.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1142181  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM
iflyj3

Default RE: Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival

Would anyone that is 50% or more thinking of attending, please email me as to how many and if you are interested in the Saturday night Banquet.

We can handle as many that want to come at the field, but the banquet is a different matter. If there is less than 20 it will be in the restaurant but if it is more than that it will be in a private room. Since time was of the essence with it being short, I did not do preregistration this year which would have given me an idea of attendees.

FYI,

I spoke to John Castronover at Toledo and he said that he and Dwayne Wilson are plannning on bringing the #2 Kazmirski Taurus and if conditions are right they will fly it. As you know John and Dwayne bought the plane together. This will be history being made the second time!

Maynard Hill called last week and is planning on attending and will be the Banquet speaker. Maynard is a good story teller.

Maynard called agained and he will not be able to make it due to unforseen circumstances.

Our VRCS VP Don Patterson and Karen will be here to.

Joe Fife, also from Florida is planning on being here.

Pray for good weather!

Dan Thompson in Bourbon County Kentucky.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Bob Mitchell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan,

There is a "Kentucky/Tennesse Flying" thread in the "Clubhouse" section. You might want to consider posting a copy of the announcement there as well. It's a pretty active thread.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
iflyj3

Thanks Bob, I will do that.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:37 PM
iflyj3

Only 6 more days till the KBVF and the weather looks good.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM
iflyj3

The 1st Annual Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival held in Lexington KY on May 23rd and 24th 2009 is now history.

The weather on Saturday was perfect. Low humidity and 84 degrees F. Winds of less than 1 MPH. Sunday was a little overcast with 3 MPH winds.

There were 22 registered pilots with 12 of those LMAC members and 10 from out of town. The out of town were from Florida, Michigan, Illinois, North Carolina, Indiana, Tennessee and Pennsylvania.
The arrival night (Friday) was celebrated at the Hotel bar and restaurant with 15 attendees.
Flying on Saturday was terrific. Many flights were flown by planes of all types. Rudder only, REM and full house controls both vintage and modern radiosused. One notable plane was a Royal DC3 with two .25's was flown by our club president. Itsported a brightly polishedaluminum finish.
The high light of the Saturday flying was the Kazmirski Taurus that is co-owned by John Castronover and Duane Wilson. For the very first flight they elected Dan Grotzinger to be the test pilot. Since John is a single stick guy and two stick transmitter was used, I can understand. The second flight was made by Duane and the right wheel fell off. He very softly put it down on the grass runway andit landed it fine with no damage what so ever. We were all holding out breath.
On Saturday my wife tookthe out of town ladies on a private horse farm and garden tour with lunch at a local gift and lunch shop. The kind of place for the ladies. They liked it somuch they wanted to go back on Sunday for more gifts but it is closed on Sunday.
The Saturday night Banquet was attended by 22 people and the awards were given for the Farthest Participate (John Castronover from FL), Technical Achievement (Don Patterson from MI), And Concours (Dan Grotzinger from IN and Russ Farris from NC).
Sunday flying by the Vintage crowd was sparse as it always is as most leave either late Saturday or noon on Sunday.
I would like to thank the guys that helped me with the event, Jerry Dukes, George Bubnar, Butch Krebsand Warren Davis. I also appreciate the out of town guest coming. With the exception of two, I have flown at events with all of them.
Pictures will be forth coming when I get all of them in and processed.
Dan Thompson in Bourbon County Kentucky
Old 06-12-2009, 08:06 PM
iflyj3

I know this is early but, the Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival for 2010 will be on Memorial day weekend, May 29 and 30.
Make your plans now. Later in the year I will develop the brochure.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 AM
maxpower1954

Thanks for the heads up, Dan. I had a great time this year - it was a well-organized and sucessfull event. Hope to make it next year...Russ Farris
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
iflyj3

The Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage festival is set for May 28 and 29 of 2011. See included brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wu60859.pdf (1.06 MB, 37 views)
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

The Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage festival is set for May 28 and 29 of 2011. See included brochure.
This event has been canceled for 2011
Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 AM
maxpower1954

What happened, Dan? I had plans to attend by '57 Cessna 172! Russ Farris
Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: maxpower1954

What happened, Dan? I had plans to attend by '57 Cessna 172! Russ Farris
Hi Russ,

It is with reservation that I am canceling the KBVF for this year.

The reason is the difficult access to our field because of the active landfill we are near. When the landfill is closed, we have locked gates to come through and retrieving a downed plan on the landfill is costly and not timely. Last year I spent 2 to 3 times the effort handling the gate and retrieval issue than I did on the actual fly in. I told myself if that condition existed this year I would not have the fly in. I had a meeting with the landfill people on March 29th and basically nothing has changed.

It is too late for this year but I am a member of two other clubs and I will explore the possibility of holding it at one of their facilities. They are not as convenient as the LMAC field and have close mowed runways.

Russ, when you were here year before last, I didn't have this problem because we still had the old landfill crew that believed that goverment employees provided a service to the ones that paid them. It seems that has changed.

BTW, the two other clubs I am a member of are on full size grass strips. One is 2000+ and the other one is 2700 feet. Maybe next year. I have even given thought to having it here at my house on my 1500 foot strip. However, the trees in the fence row are too close for model flying.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
maxpower1954

Too bad Dan - the clammy hands of government around our necks and wallets can only get worse. I notice the phrase "public servant" is going out of style these days.
Hope it works out for next year! Russ Farris
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 AM
iflyj3

The KBVF is scheduled for May of 2012. The flying days are all day Friday and Saturday till 1 PM, to have the flying during the open hours of the land fill. See brochure and download the PDF as it has a bunch of pages.

Name:	Hf98179.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	1728934  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qo39585.pdf (1.06 MB, 33 views)
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

The KBVF is scheduled for May of 2012. The flying days are all day Friday and Saturday till 1 PM, to have the flying during the open hours of the land fill. See brochure and download the PDF as it has a bunch of pages.
Only about 3 weeks left until it's festival time.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM
iflyj3

Announcing the 2013 Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival plus two different fly in's following.
The KBVF is on Thursday and Friday and followed on Saturday with a float fly at the Central Kentucky Float Flyers lake and a sailplane fly in on Sunday the the Clark County RC Barnstormers field. 4 days of flying on Memorial day weekend in May. May 23, 24, 25 and 26. In addition the KBVF invites any plane that is controlled by an ACE transmitter, see brochure.
Go to https://sites.google.com/site/kbvfky/ for a 13 page brochure for all three fly in's.

Name:	Zw69737.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	1840672  
Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 AM
iflyj3

Default Kentuck Bluegrass Vintage Festival

Announcing the 2014 Kentucky Bluegrass Vintage Festival plus two different fly in's following.
The KBVF is on Thursday and Friday and followed on Saturday with a float fly at the Central Kentucky Float Flyers lake and a sailplane fly in on Sunday the the Clark County RC Barnstormers field. 4 days of flying on Memorial day weekend in May. May 22, 23, 24 and 25. In addition the KBVF invites any plane that is controlled by an ACE transmitter, see brochure.

Go to https://sites.google.com/site/kbvfky/ for a 13 page brochure for all three fly in's.

Name:	KBVFBrochure.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	1977855