Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Ben Buckle kits

Old 06-10-2003, 10:22 PM
GoldenAge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ben Buckle kits

Hello All,

I've been thinking about building their 88" span Quaker kit in the coming months as my next project. Anybody have opinions good or bad about these kits? I have been building model aircraft since the mid 1960's, so experience isn't a problem here

Just wondering about the quality of the wood and other materials as I have never built a Ben Buckle kit.

Many thanks in advance,

Scott
Old 06-10-2003, 11:59 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ben Buckle kits

They come from O'er Yond. A bit rough in they die cutting. Have used the 66 span Quaker by Bob Holman which is set up for Cyclone engine.

Wm.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:36 AM
4Stroker
My Feedback: (33)

Default Quaker

Hi, GoldenAge. If you want a Quaker check out the 84" version sold by Penn Valley Hobby Center in Pennsylvania. It's $99.95 and I can attest that it is a nice kit because I had one (sold it.) Their web site is pennvalleyhobbycenter.com and they are nice folks to deal with. I have two or three Buckle kits but have not built any of them, but they look OK to me. Be advised some are printwood, not die-cut. In any case you might want to check out Penn Valley if the size suits you and you want to save some$.

I love the old-timers but have had little time to build lately. BTW, my favorite Buckle kit is the Elf Biplane and I got one of those from Dave Thacker at Radical R/C. If you are set on a Buckle kit there are a couple of dealers in the Houston area, GCBM Models and Third Coast Hobbies. Good luck with your project!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:17 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default All parts are machine cut on the BB Flying Quaker...

Just to clarify, the larger Ben Buckle kits are all machine cut parts, i.e., ribs, fuse bulkheads, etc. It should also be noted that BB kits are complete kits. Penn Valley kits are partial only. Ben Buckle kits are historically quite accurate, most building off of only slightly updated plans from the originals. Ben Buckle was very intentional about this. The only printed kit we carry is the Southerner 60. All others have pre cut parts.
Regards,
Mike McGraw, President
GCBM R/C Models Inc.

www.gcbmrc.com
Old 06-12-2003, 12:20 PM
GoldenAge

Default Ben Buckle kits

Thanks again for the responses!

I'm seriously thinking about the BB 88" span Flying Quaker that is offered on the GCBM web site. I'm going to put it on my Fathers Day wish list!

Scott
Old 06-14-2003, 05:50 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default Ben Buckle kits

MikeSell's son is building my BB Quaker Flash, and he found a number of items that needed some re-engineering for R/C. These kits are set up for FF and must be beefed up a bit (especially the spars and dihedral brace) for R/C. The overall quality of the components is excellent, but some stick wood was too short and was supposed to be spliced! So we had to buy a few pieces (overall not worth getting excited about), but the end result is worth it. Just make sure your left and right sides are built the same, as these free flights are made to circle, and are often NOT symetrical from side to side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	86415_20995.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	50055  
Old 06-16-2003, 05:22 PM
GoldenAge

Default Ben Buckle kits

Hi Doug,

That young fella did an excellent job on your Quaker Flash! It's going to look real sweet floating slowly overhead with the see through covering.

Thanks for the construction tips, I had to do some re-engineering on my Dallaire to help it survive the occasional rough landing!

Take care and good luck with your new Quaker,

Scott
Old 07-10-2003, 12:46 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default Ben Buckle kits

Scott,
We've decided not to fly the Q.F. this season as I have plenty of planes, and Chris (the builder) wants to show it at Toledo (it wasn't quite finished in time for this year's show) next year...So I decided not to risk banging it up until he has a crack at a prize with it. He's worked too hard on it not to have the opportunity for some recognition for it.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:54 PM
Scalebuff

Default Ben Buckle kits

My DAD is a BB freak!, we own most of the range and i can only say these kitts are great.....

i personly havent flown the quaker but iv seen it fly and its just like the rest of em! "BORN TO BE IN AIR!"

the only 2 BB planes i have personly flown is the large "majestic major" and the "great news", im more of a scale guy but i love flying these, every time you take them down the field you get crowd around you....

i say go for it, never had a problem with BB kitts/plans except we carnt fly them all at once

good luck¬
Old 07-17-2003, 10:22 PM
GoldenAge

Default Ben Buckle kits

Doug,

Good luck on your first flight when you finish showing it off

Rick,

Thanks for the positive feedback on the BB kits. I have to move the request for the Quaker kit up to my birthday. (Sept. 1)

Take care,

Scott
Old 07-19-2003, 07:36 PM
gwinhh-RCU

Default Ben Buckle kits

RE: Super Quaker:
I built one from a partial kit (rigs/tips only) and powered it with an old OS 40 fs. Wonderful airplane. I put a 2-piece wing on mine (brass tubing joiners) for transportation ease. Wish I had it back.....howell