Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Chinese Twin Star 40cc motor/engine

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Chinese Twin Star 40cc motor/engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
betoriddem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese Twin Star 40cc motor/engine

[&o]Hello,Does anyone out there have one of these motors they would like to sell,or parts? I have one that needs a rod and from what I gather they were made in the mid eightys. I would also concider one that has the same problem as mine.Can anyone help me please? Mine is tore appart right now but here is a pic of one together. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16511.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1150119  
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
betoriddem

Default RE: Chinese Twin Star 40cc motor/engine

Sorry guys I'm new to this,heres the pic of the motor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25572.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1150121  
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cost effective wise, it might be cheaper and more productive to use a new Chinese engine.

There is a prolific selection. They seem to come out with a new model every few minutes.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They were sold fom a place in Hawaii. I never saw one but the reviews of this engine were particularly bad. In every instance the quality of the thing was really bad and the performance was substandard. I'd put this on the shelf and get a better engine to work with.
dennis
Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 AM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

One person id check with is Ralph at rcignitions.com.
The other thing as posted would be to purchase a newer twin.
Check out the RCGF thread in[gas engines].There are a few others and of course the name brand engines also.I have talked about the twin stars before when passing conversation with Ralph and personally i would look at other possibilities.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:00 AM
betoriddem

Hey guys, I did some research and found out that the yuhe fastory is still producing engines in Nanjing China. They make UAV and target drone engines for the military and law inforcment. From what I gathered they even make a few four cylinders jobs and a couple twins yet. The web-site I found this info on wanted $10 for futher information on the sales of these engines. I'm thinking of paying the $10 just to find out more about the company and the engines they have. I'll keep everyone posted when I find out more on these chinese engines,cost,availability,ect.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:13 AM
old git

I managed to get hold of a broken Yulon 30 5cc glow motor many years ago. I'm a total pack rat and some five years later decided to repair/replace the broken and lost connecting rod.

It took many attempts to get a blank that matched the wear pattern on the cylinder wall when I rotated the crank. I used a piece of 1/8" Dural (Duralumin) and filed it until it looked right.

The motor ran very well and I used it in a c/l model for some time. I cannot say if it was as powerful as it should be but it was very noisy with it's 360 degree exhaust porting.

I would think you could make a replacement rod quite easily, especially with the other rod as a pattern. Grind a punch to match the dia of the crank pin and the piston pin and punch through the pattern.

Using a pillar drill and Number drills, match the sizes and drill the blank (Dural). a little work with a variety of files and replace the component in the engine.

Keep a spare blank in case you need another rod in the future. Best of luck and it's not that difficult!

WACO Brotherhood No. 1

old git - - - - aka John L.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:44 PM
betoriddem

Hello John, I'm affraid this connecting rod won't be that easy. It has a cap on the end that connects to the journal like a automotive type rod. So I think my only hope is to find one running,or one I can use for parts. So far no one has offered ether,but then again the thread is new. We'll just have to wait and see what happens,maybe I'll get lucky. Thank you for trying to help thou.....Mick
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I have a new one in a box here...Got one running about 10 or 12 years ago, the owner gave me this one in return...It's never been run or even turned over, they put something in the engine when it was assembled that congeals with age, maybe they used castor...
It has the rope and pulley to start it and mayb e an extra set of rings...$50....It should be taken apart and resealed at the joints, I don't remember whether or not it had gaskets....
Ihe other one seemed to run OK, don't remember the prop or rpm or how long it would last....