Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Plane for Sullivan Foam Wings

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Plane for Sullivan Foam Wings

Old 03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plane for Sullivan Foam Wings

Does anyone know of any plans ever published for the Sullivan foam wings that used to be sold. I have a set of these foam wings waiting to be sheeted, but sure would like to know if any plane was ever designed for them.
Thanks,
Frank Schwartz
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Plane for Sullivan Foam Wings

they were a generic replacement that could be used for many pattern planes at the time,by trimming the center section you could adjust the wing planform from a tapered wing to a double tapered wing etc..kaos ,banshee phoenix are the ones that come to mind but there were alot more
Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Frank,
I remember there was at least one airplane designed to use them, but I can't for the life of me remember what it's name was/is or which magazine it was published in? I want to say RCM, but???

They inspired me to design my first successful competition fun fly airplane in 1976 called the "Overdose", or O.D. (short for Original Design ) because (for that time anyway ) it had an overdose of power and control surface area, etc. etc.
I shortened the wings to 44" span, it was also 44" lomg, and it had a pumped K&B .40 for power. Weighed about 4 lbs.
Won several competitions with it in '76-'77 [8D]

I got a set of these wings from you (IIRC ) a few years ago...wanting to re-create that airplane...unfortunately, I haven't gotten to it yet...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Doc.316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine went on a kaos fus...wow that combo is still in the attic.