Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Looking for Cavalier plans

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Looking for Cavalier plans

Old 06-13-2003, 01:50 PM
MrChaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Cavalier plans

Recently I saw a picture in our local newspaper of C. David Gierke of Lancaster, NY holding what appears to be a vintage airplane called a "Cavalier".
If anyone out there knows where to acquire plans for that airplane I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:26 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I can think of with similar title is a large A/C from the 1950's called the Custom Cavalier by Berkeley. Only thing I can come up with similar name. It was advertised well, but not too big in selling due to not too many glow engines avaialable for it at the time.

These A/C are rather gracefull in operation, but a kit of such are well up into the several hundred dollar range now when found.

Wm.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:31 PM
RCPAUL

David Gierke is a contributor to Model Airplane News and a manufacturer of an engine cleaner and has published an engine book. He has been in the hobby - both UC and RC - for many years. A Goggle search will get you the picture you saw plus many other references. I met Dave at a pattern contest many years (30+?) ago. You might be able to contact him through MAN or his company - its name I cannot remember.

The Cavalier you saw was a Berkley kit - but they had four others.

If AMA releases the John Pond plans, you could get a copy there.
Why not put a request in the plans section of RCU - you might get lucky.

Paul
Old 06-16-2003, 01:06 PM
R. Smith

If you have the Zaic Year Books there is a small scale plan for this early, little known RC model. I am not sure which edition includes the plan but it's there.

Berkley did kit the Cavalier, shortly after WW2. It was also released in a twin engine variant at the same time.

This is a very large model with a fully planked elliptical fuselage. You will need a balsa forest to construct one.

Richard Smith
Old 06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
4Stroker
My Feedback: (33)

Default Cavalier Plans

A plans business called "Orbit Electronics" in Horizon City, TX, sells plans for a Custom Cavalier at 78" span. This fellow bought the plans business from Bill Effinger's widow about 3 years ago. He was out of the business for a while but apparently is back in. I bought some plans for the big Spad this year; I'll try and find his e-mail address for you and post it here. BTW, the catalog I have says this model originally had a wing span of nine feet!

Here is the e-mail I had from an earlier post: [email protected]

The owner's name is John Melvin. BTW, I have not seen these advertised since I bought my set of plans; I hope this is not a hit-or-miss kind of deal. Anyway, good luck!
Old 06-21-2003, 11:51 AM
RCPAUL

I just found this site and remembered your request. This place has plans as well as partial kits. Enjoy!

RCPAUL

http://www.klarichkits.com/
Old 10-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Slowflight

Default RE: Looking for Cavalier plans

I built a Cavalier from AMA plans. It is the best flying 3 channel plane I have ever had my hands on. It is pure joy to fly. An old OS .40 LA is far more than enough power. I usually take off at half throttle and cruise at a click or two above idle. Turns are tight and with almost no tendency to spiral. Mine weighs exactly 5 pounds. Not good in wind, but a beauty in the air on calm days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85327.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	188723