Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Mark's Models 'History' and Welcome Mark

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Mark's Models 'History' and Welcome Mark

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mark's Models 'History' and Welcome Mark

Very interesting reflections, Mark, thank you.

I wish plans and canopies were still available for those Fun Scale warbirds. I had a second-hand P-51, 40 size for awhile and really liked it.

Anyone know a source for the plans?

Jim
Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Very interesting reflections, Mark, thank you.

I wish plans and canopies were still available for those Fun Scale warbirds. I had a second-hand P-51, 40 size for awhile and really liked it.

Anyone know a source for the plans?

Jim
I'll second the canopy and plans. I have a Jemco Fun Scale Mustang that needs to be rebuilt, and somebody, somewhere along the line, after the last crash did some recovering and started to convert it to a bolt-on wing. If worse comes to worse I'll probably have to make a pattern and mold a canopy.

Mark,

Your hang glider looks like it was a blast to fly. Did it have any kind of restraint other than just holding on? I appears on landing you just set it down and start walking away with out unhooking any harness or other restraints.

Hogflyer
Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM
TFF

I wish the whole scale line of Jemco would come back. They were nice size if you did not get carried away with weight.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anybody is interested, a friend of mine has a dynaflight 60 size mustang (NIB kit) he would probably let go for a very reasonable price.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 PM
vintagemxr

By the way, Mark, is it correct that the wing design for your hang glider was copied from the Windward?

Doug

Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Does anyone remember Mark's RO-8? I think it is still the best all built up 2 meter class made. Again as with way too many, too bad it is now unavailable. I do have a kit that I never finished that I'm thinking now of getting out. If anyone wants a copy of the plans, I'll check what shape there in.

DM
Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Aurora_60

speaking of plans..
I also have had a Wanderer 72 for over ten years... No plans, I think I let someone use then for scratch build project. Can anyone help me?

DM
Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Back in the early 90's i built the 80" Spitfire with Saito 120. It is now on it's third engine (Saito 150) and is still one of my favorite planes. Very easy to build and fly, looks great on the low flyby's -
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
lflf

Mark, I built and flew many of your kits, the Mustang, both old and redesigned, and all of the solid balsa carved wing biplanes. For a while our field looked like a World War 1 airfield with all of those SE-5's and Fokkers lined up. My favorite was that little Fun Scale Pitts. Everything about that kit was cool. The cover picture on the box with that little plane in front of that real airplane hangar was a fantastic piece of artwork. The instructions were very funny. The plane was fast building, simple, and looked impressive. Nothing would beat a plane that cute that only cost $30! I owned several at one time. I managed to score three of those kits from your last shipment to Sheldons. That plane was pretty challenging to fly. I think my knees were shaking on both takeoff and landing, it came in so fast, but it sure was a fun plane and impressive with those sustained knife edge manuevers. I'm surprised you haven't been inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame or whatever you call it. They need to do that and get your history transcribed like the others so we can access it, I'm sure it would make fascinating reading. In my book your right up there with Goldberg in the model business. I wish you well and thank you for your great kits.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

............. I would like to thank Mark Smith himself for joining us (see post 18)

Interested in info on Mark's Models, from beginning through the current (Dynaflite) history..
Having entered this thread when it was at post #59 and scanned through it, I find it extremely interesting. Thanks to all.

I have built and demolished a number of models that were sold under the Jemco, Marks, and Dynaflite names. I was very sorry when Marks sold out to Great "Pains" as I was when any mfger. did so. That is a different story!

For anyone interested, I have one of the Fun Scale SE5 kits. I built one and used a Brat .28. I had great fun with it. I did add flat bottom ribs and cover under the wings. That made the machine much more predictable. Unfortunately, I had used a relatively new switch harness design that proved to be unreliable in large airplanes but did OK in smaller ones with little or no vibration. I can only guess that the Switch turned itself off as they did so in other models before. (Loss of battery usually results in a crash as the servos move out of the trimmed position. Turning off the power will freeze the servo in its position.) Bad choice on my part. That SE5 just kept chugging in large right circles as it was trimmed for, at 1/2 throttle. It would ease over slightly into a descent, and as speed gained, it would roll back to left upright and climb. Great to watch as it disappeared west into a setting sun evening. That is a suitable aviator way to go as all aviators say when one leaves us, "He flew that last flight west."

Here are some Jemco models that were used as Scale Warbird Racers. The P-51 Scale kit modified to a Reno Racer. Then a large fun scale P-51 modified to be a bit more realistic P-51. Still a good flier. Then a Pt-19 which was a joy to fly, but after several years, it mated with a Corsair during a very close pylon turn. Broke me lil' heart, it did!
I also kit-bashed a fun-scale P-51 into a decent looking P-63 King Cobra. It was also a lot of fun and met its fate in a club fun warbird race.

EDITED to ADD: I also still have a kit of the Jemco line the Master Scale Douglas Dauntless. Someday ???
For those that need canopies, check with SIG mfg. They always had lots of canopies, which could always be modified and/or used for fun-scale purposes.

So whatever they were called, Jemco, Marks, Dynaflite, they were all welcome to my house. Unfortunately that big almighty $ took away much more than it deserved. [>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33754.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1192706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53200.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1192707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93376.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1192708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26411.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1192709  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

To all who know Mark personally and those who know his designs, Please check out this website

Mark Smith

Mark has helped many of us get our start in RC Flying with the Wanderer and other designs, but do You know much about Him ??

Look over the site and you may discover some interesting things, leave a word of encouragement or have a story to share

Thanks

Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM
WORNBOOTS

From Original Post, "Model List only" Edited to Update list and specs May 26th 2009

Kits By Marks Models

Windward ................... Wing Span 72", Wing Area 532 Sq. In., Weight 24 OZ. RTF, Debut 1969

Windfree ..................... Wing Span 99.25", Wing Area 555 Sq. In., Weight 29 OZ. RTF, Debut 1970

Wanderer 72 .............. Wing Span 72", Wing Area 563 Sq. In., Weight 14 OZ. W/O Radio

Wanderer 99 .............. Wing Span 99", Wing Area 853 Sq. In., Weight 46 OZ. ???

Sunny ........................... Wing Span 40", Wing Area 555 Sq. In., Power .15 Cu. In., Weight 3 1/2 LBS RTF

Bushwacker ............... Wing Span 68.75", Wing Area 555 Sq. In., Power .15-.19 Cu. In., Weight 3 LBS RTF

S2 Pitts

Scorpion 4

Corsair ... ......................40~.60 engine ... 54" span ... 556 Sq In wing area ... 5~6 lbs. ... Scale 1" = 1.32'

Fun Scale P-51............ "40" size: .19~.40 engine ... 51" span ... 490 in wing area ... 18-20oz wing loading ... 3 3/4 ~ 4 lbs

Fun Scale P-51............ "60" size: .40~ .60 2 cycle / .60 ~ .90 4 cycle ... ??54" span ... 680?? sq in wing area ... 4~5 lb weight

Honker ?

Honker Bipe

Mustang ....................... 40/60 Size: .40~.60 ... Span 53" ... 470 Sq. In. .... Weight 5-8 Lbs. Foam Core Wing

Fokker D-VII

Se5a ....................................... Wing Span 42.5", Wing Area??? Sq. In., Power .???? Cu. In., Weight ? LBS RTF

SBD-5 Dauntless

Gruman F6F Hellcat....... Wing Span 56", Wing Area 610 Sq.In., Weight 7-8 Lbs.

Spitfire

Bird of Time .......................... Wing Span 118", Wing Area 1070 sq. in., Weight 49 Oz. ?? .

Mini Bird of Time.................. Wing Span 79.25", Wing Area 609sq.in. Weight 26 Oz.
Still need specs on some above, and info on any other kits not listed so far.... Thanks

Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, I have a MM Funscale P-51 in the attic - I'll get the specs posted this evening.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:49 AM
WORNBOOTS

Hey thanks Hemi'
 its appreciated............... Dan Z
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, here are the specs for the .40 and 60 size - they are both on the label...

"40" size:

.19~.40 engine
51" span
490 in wing area
18-20oz wing loading
3 3/4 ~ 4 lbs

"60" size:

.40~ .60 2 cycle / .60 ~ .90 4 cycle
54" span
680 sq in wing area
4~5 lb weight

Not sure if the wing span on the 60 is correct. 190 sq in out of 3" wingspan doesn't quite seem possible....
Old 06-02-2009, 01:05 AM
WORNBOOTS

Thank you sir, I added them to the list also and used ?? marks on the .60 size..
 Will be doing more plans in the near future, also sent some others your way

Cheers........... Dan Z
Old 06-05-2009, 08:43 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mark,

Now I am remindedthat Jim Meister designed the fun scale P-51 and probably the P-40. I foundboth kits a couple of years ago on Ebay and plan to fly them on electric power. I flew a series of the .40 size P-51's on ASP .40's and OS.40 FSR's in NAA Bob Hoover and Wisconsin ANGcolors and markings at Angels Stadium and Mile Square Park.They flew great andmade me look good. Icarved and sandedbottom fuselage fairings to make them more scale-like andaddedDubro scale landing gear covers, pivoting gear doors, and scale location steerable tail wheels. I remember that the sheeted rear fuselage tended to do the banana thing which didn't affect flight seriously. The models looked like they flew about 70mph after a shallow dive, glorious. I never let the lack of provisions for retract bother me..
Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM
fokker20planes

Hi Mark, it's a pleasure hearing from one of the greats!
I have had in the past the Sunny, Jemco funscale Mustang and the Honker Bipe. However I also had the TopCat sailplane which had the same type of solid balsa wing as the Honker Bipe. Did you produce this kit? It was a great slope soaring plane that I flew here on the shore of Lake Michigan back in the early eighties. My brother and I actually managed a 1 hour flight in the middle of winter!!! Those were the days...
Tom
Old 06-21-2009, 12:03 PM
donkey doctor

Hello; Sad to hear about Mark's battle with cancer, I had a nasty bout of lung cancer last year, but now I'm cancer free, so there's hope.

Here's a marks models Mustang kit, don't know anything about it except that it was bought in Hawaii in the 90's.

I have zero experience with foam wings, and I don't have the instructions that should have come with the kit. If I could find the instructions, I could make a start on the kit.

Any ideas?

Name:	Mk27565.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1221932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33425.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1221933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep85478.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1221934  
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi All

I'm normally in the warbird section of these forms, but saw a Jemco post and had to check it out.

I started flying rc around 25 years ago. The whole idea was to learn as quick as i could so as to begin building and flying warbirds. The day I discovered the Jemco/Dynaflite line of warbirds is when I became a huge fan of the Jemco construction concept for the warbirds. The Jem-Lok fuse, and foam core wings made the model strong, straight and fast to assemble. Plus the size was perfect for those of us who had other financial responsibilities but wanted to be in ******** a very nice warbird.

The beginnings of the arf concept, yet allowing the modeler to feel pride in the construction and finish as well.

I had/have: Corsair, Zero, P-51D, P47, Me 109F, At6, SBD, FW190D.

We even molded a full composite Jemco Corsair that I have to this day.

I still have an assembled original P-47 and NIB SBD.

Steve
Old 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

What about the 1/4 scale ASW-20 sailplane kit that MM produced for a while?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Marks Models hellcat for sale
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130328
Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 AM
aeroscale

The Windfree remains in production to this day; fitting tribute to a timeless design!
www.hobbyhangar.com

aeroscale

Name:	By76250.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1307708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56849.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1307709  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM
hmslone2002

My boyfriend just got a Bushwacker kit and is having some trouble with the blueprints and instructions. He is looking for some pics of the kit completed. If anyone has any pics pls post them or email them to me at [email protected].

Thanks

Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: hmslone2002

My boyfriend just got a Bushwacker kit and is having some trouble with the blueprints and instructions. He is looking for some pics of the kit completed. If anyone has any pics pls post them or email them to me at [email protected].

Thanks

What kind of problem is your boyfriend having with the plans or instructions? I have built many of these Bushwackers, perhaps I (or any of the others reading this thread) can help.

I have a picture of my first Bushwacker from 1976 in my file cabinet somewhere... I'll have to try to find it one of these days.

Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.