Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Name the plane-with clues!-repost

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Name the plane-with clues!-repost

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
gittarpikk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name the plane-with clues!-repost

Reposted from another thread........

Here's another one...x'cept it's gonna really stump ya (it's in disguise)

I will give you a "clue" as I really don't know what the model is....I just had some "fun" with redesigning it and cut maybe a pound or pound and a half of plywood out of it. It's now 3# 5 OZ no fuel but all up. and I have an OS 25 FP on it. The original motor was an HB 25 and I have made a muffler for it. The HP runs circles around the OS (even though OS is nearly new), but I'm going to maiden with the OS.

Don't get confused with the trim scheme....thats another discussion.

The "clue" is it had "Pilot" stamped on the ribs...so its a pilot kit. I never owned a Pilot kit , but the owner of the plane gave it to me and it was a real mess. Much repairing and strengthening and lightening later...we have this. Canopy was destoyed

I thought the wind would hit 5MPH today..to maiden...but its still running about 9-10 here in East Tenn.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17954.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1179683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94277.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1179684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94402.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1179685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77914.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	1179686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23594.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1179687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13309.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1179688  
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Name the plane-with clues!-repost

Ummmm,

Photo?
Old 04-13-2009, 03:56 PM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

Ummmm,

Photo?
I was reloading picts..their up now
Old 04-13-2009, 04:15 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very similar to an r/c Top Flight Flite Streak, which was a c/l plane. But the fuselaga top reminds me of the TF Contender, too.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 AM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

Very similar to an r/c Top Flight Flite Streak, which was a c/l plane. But the fuselaga top reminds me of the TF Contender, too.
Lol... The trim scheme...and "mods" worked...That is the trim scheme...and is also the thought I was holding when I had my "fun" with it.

The plane is a Pilot kit though...

BTW...I am thoroughly enjoying the .020 Skylark thread you posted...you have that silk looking fabulous!..and a "how-to" on thread hinges...great!.. I will be doing some thread hinges (will use matching color thread)on at least 2-3 planes (Skampy, Allstar, Chief) as they are finished soon. Was starting to finish and got side-tracked with the old RCM trainer 3 ch I had (circa early 70's) and I've been degreasing...yep, the old talcum powder and sanding way.!
Old 04-16-2009, 03:08 AM
flying pastor

Possibly a Pilot QB 20L. Trike u/c with Quick Build construction. Haven't seen one for a long time so I am probably wrong!!
Chris...U.K.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 AM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: flying pastor

Possibly a Pilot QB 20L. Trike u/c with Quick Build construction. Haven't seen one for a long time so I am probably wrong!!
Chris...U.K.

That sounds like a probable prospect... The plane is a bit large (and a was a bit heavy-lots of plywood to last through beginner pilots) for the .20...but would have allowed anything to and including a .35...maybe even a .40

I will try to google that model, perhaps someone has a few pics of theirs..
Old 04-16-2009, 07:16 AM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: flying pastor

Chris...U.K.

I think your 100% right

Here is a pic off the web (there was only 1 I could google) so its gotta be a bit rare and somewhat older plane.

I do remember a piece of balsa stamped QB or quik bilt. The box shown is the evidently a version II . I would think I have version I. Straining my memory (of all the old mag rags I had read), the difference might have been lower weight and a symetrical airfoil(I would think). The airfoil I have is a semi-symetrical.

The carb that was on the HB 25 was a Weber carb and I have not found one to replace it. The fuel feed nipple was pulled out so I had to "manufacture" one with brass tube and JB weld ......looks odd, but works. If I had wanted to restore this as a rare bird, I would have first located all engine parts and a muffler (I found a new muffler from MECOA)and proceeded to finish it original. Since it was not a popular OT type plane, I just decided to have some fun in the redesign...and now it kinda passes for the Top Flight Flight Streak , which no one that I know has ever tried to make R/C. This plane is NOT the Flight Streak...but I think it would make an interesting conversion. No, the Flight Streak wouldn't be a 3D plane...nor even a good sport flyer , but would make one heck of a combat wing and look like a million dollars. The paint scheme was a challenge as originally it was easy to do with silkspan and dope , but when you start laying two layers of film over ribs, things go south real fast. ...so I had to actually cut the color gores out and piece them together(1/4" overlap") (and iron the edges) while off the wing frame...then lay and postioin the whole thing on the wings and then tack it down (much easier said than done)

It was a fun rebuild and it looks like it will fly well...I hope I get to maiden it in a few days as we are finally getting what I call flying weather hee in E Tenn.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18343.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	1181251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46298.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1181252  
Old 04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
gittarpikk

Maiden flight was Great!.....except

I had to use all my up elevator trim... You may be able to see the down trimmed elevator (pic was taken at zero trims)

4 OZ tank...and on about second fly-by I made a low speed pass (getting used to approach) and powering back up noticed engine leaned so went to 1/2 throttle.

about 100' up and downwind leg, engine quit...so next manuever was landing...and was uneventful. The plane had fabulous low speed control and no tip stall tendecies .(even though I kept speed a bit higher due to maiden flight). Overall was very smooth and predictable.....something and OT like me needed after years of not flying often.

Still not found why motor quit...but will. Tank still had 4/5 fuel left in it and clunk was free.