Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

48 " Miss America what powerplant to use

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

48 " Miss America what powerplant to use

Old 07-04-2003, 09:39 PM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 48 " Miss America what powerplant to use

Had one years back radio assist with an OS 15 in the thing. Now I'm thinking Electric conversion. Any thoughts on what power to use would help.
This time using transparent covering to see it well in the air. Planes for this one came from a buddy who does Cad on older plans. I know I just have to have the Trexlers on this one.
Call it an upgraded Old-timer.
What to power it with is my trouble.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:14 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 48 " Miss America what powerplant to use

If you can keep the weight down there's no reason it shouldn't fly with a Speed 400 and gearbox on 7 cells. Use 600 mah nicads or go for 900 mah NiMH but add an eigth cell.

I'm surprised you needed a 15 on the powered version. 48 inches puts it right in the 1/2A Texaco size. Or perhaps you wanted the rocket like contest climb that the 15 would offer?

If you wish to duplicate the hot climb using electrics then I suspect you'd have to go for one of the hot brushless motors. But keep the battery pack fairly small and the runs short or it'll get way too heavy to thermal.