Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

'Best' Pylon R/C plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

'Best' Pylon R/C plane?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 03:49 PM
RobStagis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Best' Pylon R/C plane?

I mean R/C conversions of old free-flighters, of course. I don't personally like many of the old cabin-style planes and would like to build a pylon plane. I DID have a Bowers FlyBaby (expanded design by DB Matthews) that I dearly loved, and like the style of, to boot, but:

With all the experience on this board, and 20/20 hindsight, what pylon plane would you build now? I passed on a Goldberg (crap - can't remember the name) Comet/Zipper years ago just becausse of the building difficulty, but that's the style plane I'm looking at.......

Any good ideas?

thanks - Rob
Old 07-07-2003, 05:06 PM
kdheath

Hi Rob,
The airframe of choice in SAM competition (if you're interested in high performance) is the Playboy Sr. With either an old sparky motor or modern 2-strokes, the Playboy has a wonderful climb and super glide. Wouldn't go wrong there.
But look up the Society of Antique Modelers and their newsletter SAM Speaks and SAM coverage in MA and other mags. Lots of cool designs.
Kelvin
Old 07-07-2003, 05:49 PM
jessiej

What would be a good old-timer for an Arden 099?

(I also have a bunch of other questions about RC assist-my ignorance knows no bounds)
Old 07-07-2003, 06:27 PM
RobStagis

Dunno, Jessie - wish I did. An Arden is an old engine, so you won't be looking at big planes. It just doesn't have a whoe lot of power.

If you've got questions, ask away!!! Here's my philosophical statement for the day: There's no stupid questions except for the unasked ones.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:36 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Kerswap

Rob I have used one of these for seven or eight years now for relaxing breaks. built it from plans borrowed from somebody but are avaliable from some of the SAM cottage industry suppliers.

It is a delightful flyer of 57 inch span on a pylon and an eliptical stab and vertical with sub fin. Uses a long square section stick built fuselage which makes for an easy build. Polyhedral wing with elitical tip sections and only a slightly undercambered airfoil which agine makes for a simple build.

I use an old OS .20 on mine and it balences at about 60% MAC which makes the half elevator on one side more of a trimming device when underpower with the throttle becoming the primary pitch control. Have had many flights just launch and power up to altitude and throttle to idle and trim a big circle and set the radio down. Half an hour later when ready to land just pick it up and guide it to a runway or if I am at a dry lake just let it land itself! Delightful

For float flys I made a simple wire cradle that repaced the two wheel main gear which are forward of the prop. This cradle is formed to rubber band on two side by side one liter sodapop bottles and another cradle banded on under the fuse which holds a single 10oz pop bottle just ahead of the subfin. It won,t take off the water but I just pitch it out over the water then plop it in the water almost at your feet for landing. Been attending the London Bridge float fly for eight or nine years and the few times I did not take this one everybody freaks out wanting to know where the 'Coke Bottle' plane is! Its a goodun.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Gonnacrash
My Feedback: (10)

Leisure made an ARF electric Playboy I think. Don-Basehor, Ks
Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 AM
RobStagis

JohnBuckner - sounds like my kind of flying. I used to do the same thing with my Flybaby. That was the calm-sunday-night flier - it taught me to be NOT afraid of the ground. Nice figure 8's at 10-15' of altitude. Slow flyby's - with the HP VT .21 you could hear the prop flapping through the wind. Trim for a big circle, put the radio down, walk over to the guys sitting in the pits - and wait for somebody to say, "Rob - I thought you were flying." *grin* Too nice..... 25 minute flights on 4 oz..... I was using Top Flight Super M props - wide-chord thingies. They matched the engine perfectly....... And those little 4-sstrokes are SO quiet. "Hey, Rob - good muffler!!!" "No muffler - I know it's against club rules, but I didn't think anyone would mind....."
Old 07-08-2003, 07:38 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jessiej: A Zipper would work with a Arden .09, the class "A" one. For a cabin plane look at a Miss Tiny, An Arden would be good in that one also . MAX H.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:01 PM
jessiej

<jessiej: A Zipper would work with a Arden .09, the class "A" one. For a cabin plane look at a Miss Tiny, An Arden would be good in that one also . MAX H.>

Thanks Max. That sounds great-two nice looking designs.
I have always thought the Zipper and the Sailplane among the all time beautiful models.

As there is a bit less old-time activity around here than in the more remote parts of Antarctica the information I get here is much appreciated!

jess
Old 07-09-2003, 11:27 AM
RobStagis

Check SAM, as was previously suggested. They're nuts about old-timers and keep everybody posted on what's going on. Thanks for mentioning the Sailplane - that was the name I was searching for earlier in this thread. I, personally, think it's the best-looking old-timer out there - but there's not a flat place anywhere on it and I was scared of the build.