Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

"model engineering of norwalk" kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

"model engineering of norwalk" kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:20 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "model engineering of norwalk" kits?

I am trying to remember the kits produced by M.E.N. and having trouble remembering the kits produced.

I remember:
M.E.N. Trainer
Big John Bipe
One or more Buzzard Bombshells

Can someone help me remember? Did they have kits for small engines like Cox?

Robert
Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 PM
jfuller
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

I know of one, the "minnie Moustang" which was designed as a class racer for .049's

James Fuller
Old 04-04-2010, 07:31 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE:

I still have one of their battery chargers. Still works!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE:

ORIGINAL: build light

I am trying to remember the kits produced by M.E.N. and having trouble remembering the kits produced.

I remember:
M.E.N. Trainer
Big John Bipe
One or more Buzzard Bombshells

Can someone help me remember? Did they have kits for small engines like Cox?

Robert
I can't think of any here, but on occasion used to see their stuff on display at the AMA shows in Pasadena. I think they were trying to push the charger at the time.

Overall I think they could not have produced one dozen different models.

Keep going I think you hit upon something. Bill Northrop the plan man for Big John is still kicking in southern Nevada, and the 58 inch w/s MEN trainer is well known at RCM. The Bombshells, that is a whole different matter.

Wm.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE:

Guys, my memory has never been what it should but in another thread regarding the charger I was reminded that this company meant someting and I am certain it was the Minnie Moustang that I was trying to recall. Thanks!

Ribert
Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RE:

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the sunny and warm 'Valley of the Sun'.

I agree with all of the above MEN kits; and this past weekend within eBay there was a MiniMoustang and Big John for sale. I have a small number of MEN kits in my collection: several Trainers, a Trainer 40, the Twin Trainer, the 72" ws J-3 Cub, + all those mentioned previously, except the MiniM. A few years back herein RCU we were discussing MEN kits, especially the J-3 Cub, with its undercambered airfoil, and another modeller mentioned that his first MEN kit was an Aeronca C-2 or C-3, also with the undercambered airfoil, I can't remember which, but I have never seen that particular design. Also, I have heard discussed that re the Trainer design, there may have been a small and a larger one. I have several in my inverntory list just listed as MEN Trainers, and one listed as a Trainer 40. I guess I will have to go into my storage area and check out the small-large Trainer thing, unless someone else knows of a difference. One thing though, they are nice kits, and anyone who has flown them really likes them. I hope this has been of interest, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 AM
fritzke

My 1980 Tower Catalog lists the Trainer 20, Trainer 40, a .30 size Cub and the Buzzard, and the .60-.90 Big John.
The Minnie Moustang was a Ken Willard design that was published in the old RC Sportsman when it was a tabloid size monthly that included a full size plan. It was kitted by MEN.
Dave
Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
HIr/cer
My Feedback: (74)

M. E. N. Gobbler sailplane. Bought mine in the mid '80s from Ace R/C. Also used the M. E. N. charger and am wondering if any are routinely still using the charger?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM
iflyg450

Love the MEN kits, My mother cut the kits and my father soldered up the charger's. Working on a MEN 40 juts to have fun with it will have atleast 4 bomb realse hard points. Al's Hobbies in Norwalk, CT still has alot of the kits and a few chargers left. How much were these kits new??
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
johnvb-RCU

I'm building a 15 Trainer at the moment, just started covering. Pretty good kit all round. I have a Twin Trainer kit as well. There's an *bay seller in Australia who auctions a few every so often. At the moment he has 15 and 40 Trainer kits up for sale, plus some old Davey kits as well
Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE:

Yes, the Mini Moustang was a Ken Willard design, but I remember seeing a M.E.N. advertisement for their kit of that plane.

Jim
Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I built and have flown the M.E.N. Trainer Twin for over 20 years... : ) I wore out two Enya .09's on this bird and now have two older OS .10's installed. Its the sweetest flying twin I've ever built, and I have well over 300 flights on her. She was built in a blizzard in Bethal, Alaska during a three week storm and still flying today in Hawaii. I glass clothed the fuse, and added 1-1/4" strip ailerons, for flaperons. The stall is below the single engine control speed...so even on one engine, and you stall the model, the twin is still controlable with the rudder...full control. It will maintain altitude on one Enya .09 running...and I've done it many times. Its such a gentle flyer, that I can't say enough good about this amazing little model.

I do hope these kits become available one day again.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60981.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1478296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32977.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1478297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86280.jpg