Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

2.4GHz Single-channel

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4GHz Single-channel

Tom, your new xmitter looks good.

Jean-Marie was here at my Vintage fly in on May 29/30 and in addition to others, he brought his single channel and the Halftone plane. He flew a lot and had a ball. It was very impressive.

Single channel of which I have three, is still a challenge. I have tried to get others in my club interested, but no joy. They just shake their heads when a single channel flys and don't believe it when I do a touch and go. They think I have a hidden elevator somewhere.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 PM
iflyj3

My Galloping Ghost actuator pictures.

I added a picture of the number 2 model that shows the feed back pot for the throttle. The PDF is a overview of the operation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om32705.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	1473787   Click image for larger version

Name:	up48124.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	326.1 KB
ID:	1473788   Click image for larger version

Name:	xc80462.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	1473789   Click image for larger version

Name:	vt57820.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	1473790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86379.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1473791  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Xs57194.pdf (56.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dan,

I love your Galloping Ghost. I had one with a Rand Actuator a long time ago. I never got it to fly well, but I would like to get another. Perhaps we can convert one to 2.4 Ghz I too get lots of strange looks when I bring out the old Invader with only a rudder and throttle. I had many, many great flights in the old days with single channel. I could loop, roll and do cuban eights and split S. All of this was done by just pushing a button. I have flow this model using the sticks on a modern radio, now I will be able to be a lot more authentic. Jean-Marie has been very helpful with this project . Right now I am experimenting with the timing of the button to get the throttle step right.

Unfortunatly we are all a bit spoilt with modern radios and ARF models. back in the sixties you had to build your own model or you did not fly.

Here is a movie of my very first RC flight back in the early sixties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcz0C2UoJdY
Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 PM
phil_g

Here are a few pics of mine, I tried to copy the look of the RCS Guidance System of the 1960s:
A few of us are using this encoder now and its working well. It includes sequential or compound escapement emulation, using a state-machine software model of the Elmic Compact taken from timings in a 1965 magazine, it optionally drives an ESC and has motor delay and slow-start for sequential rudder-only models, audio and visual warning of motor start, three motor run timers... silent mode (for gliders), the compound mode includes kick-up elevator, & quick-blip throttle... it has individual servo reversing, throw adjust, a range-test mode, save config to flash, audio confirmation, 'next turn direction' cheat LEDs for sequential, - etc etc etc... and it also will drive a 'real' rubber escapement connected to the receiver via a channel switch.
Its all built on a PCB, the PIC software is all in assembler and we're all using Corona 2.4g DIY or Frsky DIY modules.
I'll do a video soon.

Its been a fun project, I've really enjoyed doing this one. Next project is converting an old Orbit 10-channel reed set, and my pal Shaun has to choose which to convert between his RCS Comp 10 reed set and a Remcon 12 (very old kit-built reed outfit).
Cheers
Phil

Name:	Db83955.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	1473930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48370.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	1473931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51959.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	1473932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84102.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	1473933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93094.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1473934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oe56911.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	1473935  
Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
phil_g

Been practising using the S/C encoder to drive FMS:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHxLsKQcNOQ[/youtube]

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 PM
iflyj3

Very neat Phil_g
Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Doc.316

This stuff is just too cool......My only comment would be from looking at the video is that you guys had better use a pretty good pushbutton switch since that thing is getting the stuffing used out of it....! Keep up the good work...hope to see some video of the planes flying.

Steve
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM
phil_g

This is the final version of the software as I'm declaring the project 'completed' ! (new features in bold)
Spec:
Sequential or Compound escapement emulation, using a state-machine software model, it optionally drives an ESC via the throttle channel and has motor delay and slow-start for sequential rudder-only models, audio and visual warning of motor start, three motor run timers... silent mode (for gliders), the compound mode includes kick-up elevator, & quick-blip throttle, with a choice of Corporal-syle 'on-off' sequence or Fred Rising style 'half-full-half-off' sequence. It has individual servo reversing, throw adjust, two range-test modes, save config to flash, audio confirmation, 'next turn direction' cheat LEDs for sequential, - etc etc etc... and it also will drive a 'real' rubber escapement connected to the receiver via a channel switch in receiver channel 4.

The video also shows an alternate PCB style which clips to any Futaba style module, in this case a Spektrum DSM2 with an AR6100e receiver.

Cheers
Phil

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM3SQ1briWY[/youtube]
Old 11-14-2010, 09:26 AM
phil_g

Before & after shots of a 1967 Gem: (the 43-year old button works fine Steve!):

Before:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKqbTYqxg4[/youtube]

After:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYXPy8hBjBg[/youtube]

Cheers
Phil
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM
iflyj3

Looks good Phil_G
Old 11-15-2010, 04:27 PM
latinRClover

Fantastic Phil_G !! I want one ! ( but my electronic skills dont go beyond soldering....[] ) . How can I ?
P.s. I have just ordered plans for a Veron Robot ..[8D]
Old 12-09-2010, 02:06 AM
phil_g

latin, PM me your email address & I'll send details.

Slightly off-topic, but maybe of interest to button-pushers:

Single-Channel Compound Actuator Emulator for period S/C sets & modern micro-servos:

Getting away from the 2.4g S/C project for a moment, there are those of us who have (and who use) genuine old single channel sets.
The escapements and single-channel actuators for these are getting harder to find, especially any in good condition.
With this in mind I've done a tiny module that exactly emulates the operation of a compound escapement setup such as the Elmic Compact and Corporal for rudder, kick-up elevator and quick-blip throttle. If you're more familiar with the old motorised actuators such as the Minimite and Minimo, this module works just the same way.
There's quite a weight saving too over the old actuators when using 5 gramme servos, and with much greater reliability.
Please note this is demonstrated on a standard unmodified Macgregor 27mhz S/C outfit, its not related to the 2.4ghz S/C project, although it shares the same emulation engine I developed for the 2.4g encoder. The S/C radio link remains as it was, 27mhz A.M. super-regen or superhet, but with modern micro-servos replacing the old escapements inside the model.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMemPuQUhfk[/youtube]

Cheers
Phil
Old 12-09-2010, 02:52 AM
iflyj3

Phil_g,

Very impressive, what's next?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:14 AM
phil_g

Thanks Dan,
I've done a bit of a web page for mine & pal Shaun's vintage radios, I'm not a good web creator but theres lots of stuff on there and much much more to come as time permits. I'd be interested to hear any feedback or any information we might have missing, experiences etc
Thank you

Here it is: [link]http://www.singlechannel.co.uk[/link]

Cheers
Phil
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 AM
iflyj3

Phil,

Very nice web pages. I haven't had time to read all of them yet, but will do so. I also sent the URL to the Vintage Radio Control Society (VRCS) YAHOO group, so expect a few hits from this side of the pond.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
phil_g

Well, I'm enjoying Single-Channel bang-bang flying so much that for the last three sessions all my other gear has stayed at home!
On Saturday I was down the park with the tatty old single channel Sharkface and a camera, unfortunately there was no-one else there so tried to take some video with the tx in one hand and the camera in the other... Now I'm no photographer and of course most of the footage was of unusable random bits of sky, or of a dot flitting about in the far distance... but there was just enough to make up a couple of minutes of video. Excuse the crappy model, its soon to be replaced, maybe a 'Weekender' or a 'Halftone'.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FazJ1JnDjpY[/youtube]

Developments - the Reeds Emulation Encoder is at an advanced stage and my flying buddy Shaun is getting all excited, his 2.4g RCS Comp 10 is all Corona'd up and itching to go fly...
Currently the Reeds encoder has 12 emulated channels, proper simultaneous servo-slow on all functions to emulate the old bonner reed servos, servo reversing throughout, trim on all channels (cheating, should only be on elevator, but why not?), a second aileron output (to avoid a Y lead), is fully simultaneous (of course it should be limited to bi-simul, but again... why not?), it has 2 range-test modes just like the S/C encoder, has the option of self-neutralising or progressive aux channel, etc... and trims, reversing, config etc are all saved to flash memory. Its written entirely in assembler and theres still some code development and bells & whistles to add, but it wont be long now...
Although its not finished it is in a flyable state, and all being well mine will soon be flight tested in my Cub, whilst Shaun is talking about his Graupner Caravelle and of building an Ed Kazmirski 'Taurus' (a proper reed model).
Isn't it exciting?
Cheers
Phil
Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
iflyj3

Very nice. You did a better job filming than I do and the only thing I am doing is filming.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:41 PM
phil_g

Slightly off-topic but relevant I think...
Finally got a day off (well, it was my Brithday!) and took the resurrected Junior 60 down to the park. This model is fitted with my 2.4ghz Reeds Emulation radio but only on rudder, elevator & throttle. So it was a 'first time' in several ways but the J60 behaved very well given the wind today and the radio was perfect. Its 40-odd years since I flew reeds and I'm normally a mode-2 flyer but other than a couple of moments when my fingers got lost, mostly when I needed throttle, all was good. Glad it was a sedate model for the first trial!
Here we go:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38vrO1fxlJQ[/youtube]

Cheers
Phil
Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 AM
phil_g

Very popular in the UK but not sure if anyone here might remember the Remcon Versatile 12?
It was a kit-build reed set, could be built with up to 12 channels. It was bi-simul across the left & right hand switches and had a centre-loaded 27mhz aerial.
The reed tones were adjusted with slider pots and were notoriously unstable.
The relayless receiver was huge by todays standards, 3" x 2" x 1" and a full installation with DEACs and bonner servos would weigh almost 2lb.
Back in the day mine was built by my Dad by copying a clubmates unbuilt kit - I was 11 or 12 and although he'd taught me to build small electronics bits & bobs by then, he didn't quite trust me to do the Remcon on my own, so he did most of it & I 'helped'.
I remember pauses in its construction as he saved up for the next part - reed bank, crystals, servos - all very expensive at the time.

So 45 years on, thanks to pal Shaun, this one arrived as an empty case and was therefore ideal as a 2.4ghz conversion project. The switches were the the hardest part to source - Remcon switches were very clicky, noisy things and mounted in a thin-steel case to make it worse. The ones I eventually found are identical in every way including the noise.
This used the last remaining reeds emulation prototype pcb, the new pcbs are a bit smaller and neater with fewer components. In the firmware the inbuilt servo-slow on all channels now has variable-speed to emulate the old, slow, reed servos. The pot on the bottom right controls the transit speed.
As you can see theres been no attempt to restore it aesthetically, I kinda like the 50-year old look!
The Remcon has been flown quite a few times, first outing was the Sheffield slope-soaring fly-in, in a Veron Impala, and of course its flown the old Junior 60 a good few times at our local club.
Cheers
Phil

Name:	Db84193.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1643912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15585.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1643913  
Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 AM
phil_g

I hope Jean-Marie doesnt mind me mentioning this here, but I've just taken delivery of some more Single Channel Emulation Encoder PCBs, so if anyone fancies a go at single channel flying with reliable equipment, by all means send me an email on [email protected] :af
Having to order more boards made me realise that he entire first batch have been taken, so including the early home-made boards thats 40-odd 2.4g S/C sets in use now!
The emulation encoders are ready built & tested so all thats needed is to plug them into a 2.4g module, mount it all in a case with battery, button and on/off switch, build a S/C model and fly! Its really very easy to do, and results in a high quality, comprehensive and reliable S/C set - much better than it was in the 60s!
Its a non-profit project done more or less at cost, just for the fun of it - and it really is fun!
Its all here: www.singlechannel.co.uk , documentation is on the archive page and photos & user-feedback etc on the 2.4g conversions page.
Cheers
Phil

Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 PM
tweedy

1963 Aero Flash and Hinode Transmitter with Phil's 2.4 emulator, Aero Flash was kitted by Airco Models plans did not say who the designer was (Any one Know?) OOO silkspan covering Tee Dee .020 with throttle.

Richard Browning

Name:	Rp43275.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1689150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35469.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1689151  
Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
tweedy

more photos

Name:	Mk26982.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1689154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12627.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1689155  
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 AM
Trisquire

Cute plane.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 AM
phil_g

Wow, Richard that Hinode tx is tiny! The conversion must have quite an intricate job...

Last year my pal John built me a Tomboy and its so nice that for a long while I darent fly it... but last week I got it all fitted out and ready to go. Power is a Blue Wonder which I wasnt sure about, would it be enough? It is much, much lighter than a Mills 1.3 and so I've had to put 4oz of lead in the nose to get it to balance at 50% and thats after lightening the rear as much as possible, hollowing the sheet subfin, etc. All in all, ready to go, it now weighs 28 ounces, which is a bit more than I expected.
The Blue Wonder and 8x3.8 on a 3S 1000 pulls almost 100w at full throttle so its still over 50w/pound and it climbs well, and cruises nicely at half power. Control is just bang-bang rudder & 2-position throttle, and the radio is my 2.4g Single Channel Emulation radio, using genuine period RCS Guidance System harware, a Frsky module, and my custom encoder which exactly models the old single-channel escapements.
Location is Pontefract Park (inside the Racecourse) which is PANDAS club site. I'd been waiting for the fog to clear, and conditions were dull, & a little southerly wind. The other models are the s/c Sharkface and a Reeds emulation Junior 60, both of which appear in other posts & videos.
Cheers
Phil

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzVcMk7m2Os[/youtube]
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
phil_g

Last week I bought an early 1970s Macgregor Digimac 1+1 transmitter for £14 on ebay.
In its time this was 'half a step up' from the single channel radios of the period, having proportional rudder and a sequential 3 position throttle. It was popular for boats but a lot of model flyers used them too. The Macgregor electronics were not suitable for a straightforward 'hack' conversion, as it didnt use a conventional ppm stream, so I've written a custom 1+1 encoder for the same hardware as the single-channel emulation set. In practise it works exactly as per the original (the new s/w was written to the original spec) and its turned out to be a really nice outfit. This time I used a redundant Corona module and rx, although I might change that to Frsky (my favourite!) before flying it. For the moment the conversion isnt done that neatly, but it will be when I swap the module.
With only rudder and throttle, the set only uses channels 1 and 3 of the 2.4g rx, but I've played a little trick with this one in that I have rudder on channel 1 but simultaneously reversed rudder on channel 4. This means that I dont need a reversing option on the tx, for different model requirements I just plug the rudder servo into receiver channel 1 or 4, whichever gives the correct rudder movement.
Heres the converted set, does anyone remember flying one of these?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHaUvmsJdU4[/youtube]

Cheers
Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.