RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Sterling Models (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/1016257-sterling-models.html)

CoosBayLumber 08-02-2003 02:13 PM

Sterling Models

The name of Sterling Models of Philladelphia has not been with us for some time now. I had understood that Estes models out of Colorado had bought them up, however it seems they did not buy the entire line.

Anyone know who bought up the remainder or who bought up what portion?

Wm.

LesUyeda 08-03-2003 01:06 PM

Sterling Models

Estes bought everything except the Chris Craft boat line. That was only marketed by Sterling, and the owner wanted more than Estes would pay.

Unfortunately, Estes bought the name, and promptly discontinued all of the models, except a very few. It is possible that remanufacturing the steel rule dies to stamp the parts would have been cost prohibitive.

Les

Mike Denest 08-05-2003 12:22 PM

Sterling Models

I spoke with a Sterling employee (I forget who, though) sometime before the transfer to Estes. It seems that a majority of the product line was destroyed in a suspicous fire in the warehouse that Sterling shared with another concern. There ain't much left except what shows up on eBay.

CoosBayLumber 08-05-2003 11:43 PM

Sterling Models

I had heard that rumour too. But, someone else said what Estes got was "worthless", late model slow selling items. The more earlier, and obsolete stuff was either missing, or incomplete enough not to warrant duplication. However, there hasn't been an assessment as to what is within either grouping.

Odd about the boating items. They made a big splash at the Pasadena AMA show back in the 1980's indicating they were going to reactivate the old line. They brought out a couple models and then no more stock was available. If you didn't get on some list, your didn't get one.

The flying models were "for show" and they instead were pushing the rubber models. No committment as to re-introducing any old ones.

Then they were gone. Out of business.

Wm.

oldsterling 08-08-2003 12:01 AM

All the more reason...

All the more reason to protect what's left out there among us collectively.

Vintage Sterling Model Preservation

Mike Taylor 08-08-2003 01:20 AM

Sterling Models

OldSterling,

What a great idea. I have some old plans laying around. I will dig out what I have and have them scanned so I can share...

Mike Denest 08-08-2003 10:49 AM

Re: All the more reason...

Originally posted by oldsterling

This is great! There was a Google club a few years ago that had a good bit of information. I hope it was saved so it can be included in the new site.

Mike Denest 08-08-2003 12:17 PM

Re: All the more reason...

Jeff,
I checked my list for the missing FS-24 kit. It is the Messerschmitt ARF R/C. This is a profile model that complemented the ARF Mustang. 55" span multi for .45 to .65 engines.

oldsterling 08-08-2003 01:55 PM

Sterling Models

That's excellent Mike! I was scouring the earth for that one. It must have been produced for a very short period of time. Sterling's ARF line was just too far ahead of its time... when the cost seemed unreasonable compared to what is so common today for ARFs. No one really considered overseas labor back then.

I've got another missing piece. It's from the "S" control line series. The elusive Kit# S-16?

Mike Denest 08-08-2003 04:28 PM

Missing Link

<SNIP>
I've got another missing piece. It's from the "S" control line series. The elusive Kit# S-16?

Hmmm, can't help on that one; my list dosen't show it. However I can go down into my secret vault tonight and check my Sterling kit stash. :D If I find it I'll post it here. While I think of it, who's got what?

Here's mine:
Piper PA-22 Tri Pacer FS-1
N.A. F-51 Mustang FS-10
Mighty Mambo FS-12
Bell P-63 Kingcobra FS-13
Supermarine Spitfire FS-14
Rudder Bird FS-15
Supermarine Spitfire S-19
Stearman PT-17 FS-20
R.A.F. SE5a FS-22
Fairchild PT-19 FS-5
Piper J-3 Cub FS-6
Wizard FS-7
Piper Super Cruiser FS-8 (partial)

All the above models are eligible for VR/CS events with the exception of the Spitfire, S-19 which is ok for OTS.

Rubber power A1 through A26
6 way Tiger Moth
M Series Monocoupe

Boy, for crappy kits they sure are popular :surprised

Mike Taylor 08-08-2003 05:22 PM

Sterling Models

They may have been crappy kits, but the were a defining factor of our youthes...

Mike Denest 08-08-2003 07:34 PM

Sterling Models

Yup I built (and burned) my share of Comet, Guillow and Sterling kits. Boy was it fun! :D

whatiwork4 08-08-2003 09:03 PM

Sterling Models

some did not like the way they built but all the sterling kits i built always flew great.i thought that flying charchteristics outweighed the parts fit issue.my list of sterling built and flown kits.
c/l .35 size
ringmaster,pt-17,fokker d-7,neuport 28,ruffy,corsair,se-5
r/c
rimfire,olympic challanger,king cobra,mustang,se-5,fokker d-7,pt-19 probaly a bunch of rubber powered and 1/2a controline.it was all i could afford back then vk kits and others were out of my price range.

GoldenAge 08-09-2003 01:46 AM

Sterling Models

I had a blast building and flying many of the old Sterling kits. Most of them as control line jobs because I couldn't afford RC gear.

Ahh, the smell of nitrate dope and burning castor oil fumes.......

I've got the 'FS' PT17, Waco SRE and the Stinson SR8 (finished but not flown)

Nice web page Oldsterling!

Scott

big max 1935 08-09-2003 03:19 AM

Sterling Models

Must be like most of you , cut my teeth on the Sterling U/C kits but the ones that I have fondest memories of are the Ringmaster with a Fox 29 & the Flying Fool with a Fox 35 . Still one of my all time favorite R/C planes is a Lancer with a K&B 40. Still have a Ringmaster hanging on my wall & a Lancer wing around here someplace . Good memories! MAX H.

Wulf 08-19-2003 06:08 PM

Sterling Tri-Pacer

I finished a Tri-Pacer kit last winter that I picked up on E-Bay.I have a OS .26 4-banger installed and also added some homemade ailerons & steerable nose gear..I had one of these as a kid and never did fly it.She`s a beauty just have`nt got around to adding radio gear yet.

AHHHH the good old days!!!!!!

Wulf 08-19-2003 06:16 PM

Tri-Pacer

1 Attachment(s)
Picture--My Tri-Pacer-Here she is!!

CoosBayLumber 08-20-2003 12:09 AM

Sterling Models

That Tri-Pacer looks impressive. I have the Berlekey version which is a bit smaller and set up for a .19 glow engine.

I always thought the Sterling version took a .35 glow. Your choice of a .26 would work nicely, considering that we now use light weight radio equipment. Just don't make a rocket out of it.

Wm.

Wulf 08-20-2003 10:08 AM

Sterling

Mine is the 58" span one and yes the plans call for an engine of .19 to .35 in size The OS .26 pulls good ,should do the job without a problem.

Love em but, don`t leave em hanging.

bevsron 08-24-2003 01:07 PM

Sterling Models

I have the box that the Sterling Mighty Mambo came in, in pretty good condition, if anybody is interested. [email protected]

The box is no longer available.

ghenson 08-28-2003 03:59 PM

Sterling Models

Sterling masters abound. I have a Waco SRE that I was restoring and was wondering where the CG is supposed to be.

GoldenAge 08-28-2003 05:27 PM

CG....

Hi,

According to my official Sterling Waco SRE plan, the CG is
exactly 4 3/16" back from the top wing leading edge.

Hope this helps,

Scott

ghenson 08-28-2003 05:55 PM

Sterling Models

thanks for that info. I am also curious what engine they had in mind for the SRE.
whatever additional specs you have would be of interest.

GoldenAge 08-28-2003 08:42 PM

Sterling Models

Well...

The plan has a K&B .40 drawn in there, but as you may already have noticed, these Sterling's are built like TANKS :D

A .60 size 2 stroke or .72 - .80 size 4 stroke should provide enough power. I have a Sterling Waco SRE out in the shop now
all framed up. I'm going to use Solartex covering and finish it with
Butyrate (Randolph's) dope.

Scott

glowplugboy 09-01-2003 05:13 AM

There's a couple of Sterling kits on Ebay...

..... a Waco SRE and a Stinson Reliant....