RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   How Many Builders Are Left? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/10254493-how-many-builders-left.html)

Stickbuilder 01-12-2011 07:10 AM

RE: How Many Builders Are Left?

There are tons of builders left. The thing is that they are normally busy building, and not doing as much posting as the ARFers are.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Taurus Flyer 01-12-2011 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

There are tons of builders left. The thing is that they are normally busy building, and not doing as much posting as the ARFers are.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Bill,

You are right tons of builders, but for how long?
Often I detect first signs of degeneration, I think about propulsion electrification and build coro-plastification etc. These are all pre stages to the final configuration, the ARF and RTF pilot.
See for example the first post of "ratshooter" in this thread, I think he is doomed already, what do you think?:
My next plane will be made from coroplast when my order of 2mm gets here.

Coro-plastification in first stage of development. I saw a whole modelers club that became victim of an infection in a short time and I could get away just in time.

Have fun,

Cees

ratshooter 01-12-2011 09:34 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Bill,

You are right tons of builders, but for how long?
Often I detect first signs of degeneration, I think about propulsion electrification and build coro-plastification etc. These are all pre stages to the final configuration, the ARF and RTF pilot.
See for example the first post of "ratshooter" in this thread, I think he is doomed already, what do you think?:
My next plane will be made from coroplast when my order of 2mm gets here.

Coro-plastification in first stage of development. I saw a whole modelers club that became victim of an infection in a short time and I could get away just in time.

HaHaHa thats funny. I don't think you have to worry about me flying away on a cloud of coroplast. I am not doomed! I have never had a plane made from this stuff and just want to see what its like. I still intend to order a big stack of balsa and go back to making my own airplanes. Plus I know where there is a Seniorita and an LT-25 for sale. Besides building is building even if its not wood. I do prefer wood but am not locked into it exclusivley.

And the poster who said there are tons of builders but they don't spend much time posting may have it just right. Cold weather and my one radio being sent back for repairs is the only reason I am not out flying right now.

Also thanks to everyone that has responded. I have looked at every link posted and every aircraft you guys put up. I had forgotton about so many of the older models. The threads on the Midwest Tri-Squire and Ugly Stik are good also. An Ugly Stik was the first RC plane I ever saw fly. I thought it was magic. It was covered in trans red monokote with the original scheme.Thankfully I have never lost that wonder of flight. I love it when a newly built model flies for the first time. I wish I had a video of the little Aircruiser making its first flight. What a sweet flying plane. And I built it myself. Including all the mods. You can't buy one in the box ready to go.

Taurus Flyer 01-12-2011 09:53 AM

ratshooter.

You write:

I have never had a plane made from this stuff and just want to see what its like.

First cigaret, first joint?

Be careful please, these realy are the first signs.

Cees

ratshooter 01-12-2011 01:25 PM

If they are that much fun theyMAY be addictive. Lol. Anything that flies is interesting (except helecopters). Thanks for your concern though. There isn't a label on a sheet of coroplast that reads:

WARNING: BUILDING WITH COROPLAST MAY LEAD TO HEART FAILURE, BREATHING PROBLEMS AND INSANITY IN WOMEN (okay, deeper insanity). PLUS YOU MAY HAVE MORE FUN THAN THE LAW ALLOWS. ITIS ALSO KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER IN LAB RATS, BUT ONLY RATSIN CALIFORNIA.

Just funnin' with ya. Nothing will ever replace a nicely built balsa wood model. I have never seen the look of pride on a modelers face from building an ARF like you see when somebody unloads a newly completed model for the first timeand waits to see what the other fliers at the field have to say. It may not have a super fancy trim job or even 4 channel control. But its a "one of a kind" airplane with no other like it. And to my eyes the best looking models are the classics from the 60s on up. Okay some late 50s will also do.

Taurus Flyer 01-12-2011 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oké, ratshooter,
You've convinced me, you are absolutely Coroplast-proof.

Even if we build in wood the possibilities are not limited to balsa, see the picture.
The fuselage is all pine, also a lot of parts of the wings and tail feathers. Scratch build can be cheap when you use cheap materials from a do it yourself shop.

Good luck with modeling.

Cees

ratshooter 01-12-2011 03:39 PM

Hello Taurus. I used to get a lot of mahogany (luan) paneling from the mobile home factory I worked in. I would use that for fuselage sides and gussets in wing spars. I have also used foam board for ribs. My buddy is building a full size Falco and saves me the thin plywood scraps and lots of spruce that has really come in handy. I nearly fainted when I found out he was burning scraps in his wood stove to keep the shop warm.

That pine plane is cool. Is it a static model or will it be flown? Did you build it? I am guessing you did.

My main reason for the coroplast is to try out an older Hitec radio I bought off ebay. Its an early computer radio that I don't have a clue how to set up. I have the manuel but am still lost. The radio seems to be fine but I don't want to risk a wood model whena crash proof coro plane makes a good (and cheap) test bed. I thought I might find a "how to" on Youtube but so far no luck. I am going to another modelers house friday and all he has is computer radios and I think he can get me pointed in the right direction.

bkyrdflyer 01-12-2011 04:46 PM

Well, let me throw one more angle into the mix. If I could by an ARF of every type of plane I wanted then I wouldn't build it because I simply don't have the time. The problem for me is they are not making many of the planes I like such as vintage bipes. And with an ARF you have to take what ever color scheme they put on it and you can't choose the material. With a kit you have so many options. Seems to me that for most companies their bread and butter these days is electric flight. Open a RC magazine and it seems every other page has an ad relating to electrics.

Stickbuilder 01-12-2011 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: bkyrdflyer

Well, let me throw one more angle into the mix. If I could by an ARF of every type of plane I wanted then I wouldn't build it because I simply don't have the time. The problem for me is they are not making many of the planes I like such as vintage bipes. And with an ARF you have to take what ever color scheme they put on it and you can't choose the material. With a kit you have so many options. Seems to me that for most companies their bread and butter these days is electric flight. Open a RC magazine and it seems every other page has an ad relating to electrics.
Have a look at the Waco YMF thread here in the Vintage and Antique forum. If you like vintage Biplanes, you will love what we have done with this one. You can build it too.

Bill, Waco Brotherhood #1

bkyrdflyer 01-12-2011 05:46 PM

Stickbuilder, I have seen it. Great job. I just bought a Pica 1/6 scale Waco on ebay and will be looking to your huge post for ideas. Are there any 1/5 scale waco kits out there? Good to talk to you.

Stickbuilder 01-12-2011 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: bkyrdflyer

Stickbuilder, I have seen it. Great job. I just bought a Pica 1/6 scale Waco on ebay and will be looking to your huge post for ideas. Are there any 1/5 scale waco kits out there? Good to talk to you.
As to the kit availability, with the plan set and the templates, you can cut your own. The wheel pants and correct cowl are available from Fibertech. This is the real YMF cowl and not the UMF version that all the other glass companies sell as the YMF cowl. So to answer your question, yes the fifth scale kit is still there.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

pimmnz 01-13-2011 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And the really great thing about 'rolling your own' is that you end up with the model you want, as big as you want, not what someone else has decided you really need...
Evan, WB #12.

WEDJ 01-13-2011 11:07 AM

Of course there are some of us builders left!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8268762

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6590239

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10077015

Taurus Flyer 01-13-2011 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: ratshooter

Hello Taurus. I used to get a lot of mahogany (luan) paneling from the mobile home factory I worked in. I would use that for fuselage sides and gussets in wing spars. I have also used foam board for ribs. My buddy is building a full size Falco and saves me the thin plywood scraps and lots of spruce that has really come in handy. I nearly fainted when I found out he was burning scraps in his wood stove to keep the shop warm.

That pine plane is cool. Is it a static model or will it be flown? Did you build it? I am guessing you did.

My main reason for the coroplast is to try out an older Hitec radio I bought off ebay. Its an early computer radio that I don't have a clue how to set up. I have the manuel but am still lost. The radio seems to be fine but I don't want to risk a wood model when a crash proof coro plane makes a good (and cheap) test bed. I thought I might find a ''how to'' on Youtube but so far no luck. I am going to another modelers house friday and all he has is computer radios and I think he can get me pointed in the right direction.

Hello Ratshooter,
The pine plane is on hold for a moment but will fly in the future. It’s an own (construction)-design of the Fokker DVIII WW1 fighter.

Most important is bending the spruce/pine? using heat and water, see the rudder, two layers used for the outside, The formers of the fuselase are made of “laths?” reinforced with pieces of plywood in the connection points. The beams of the fuselage and all other parts are also “pre” bend before gluing the fuselage together, stress free and straight.

Success with the radio and the Coroplast, ideal as “crumple zone”.

Cees

Love To build 01-13-2011 02:15 PM

Still here. Building since 1983. I'm a 70/30 split. 70% building and 30% flying. I have assembled a few ARFs recently. Rather build from plans or kits though. More satisfying.

roaddog2 01-13-2011 02:27 PM

YES! There ARE builders still doin' it! 'Fact is, it's ALL I can do. 'Gotta have 2 workin' hands t' drive a transmitter!
:O)
RD

Taurus Flyer 01-13-2011 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Love To build

Still here. Building since 1983. I'm a 70/30 split. 70% building and 30% flying. I have assembled a few ARFs recently. Rather build from plans or kits though. More satisfying.
First disquieting signs of infection, denial of the urgency of the situation. (I did smok..........)
I did tell this often before, model airplanes do not drop of the sky! You did buy them!! You did fly them!!
Have fun,

Cees

scubajohn 01-13-2011 07:47 PM

hi stunt flyer and ratshooter the robin is nowin the planes of fame museum at the grand canyon the planes of fame main museum is at chino and they have a old flying wing
the starduster was indeed based at chino my dad lived there in a motor home on the airport for about 15 years if any body wants to build a starduster like his with a radial let me know i could suplly lots of pics

stuntflyr 01-13-2011 09:15 PM

Very cool, John. Had lot's of fun around there in the 70's and 80's flying warbirds and hanging out around your dad's hangar. I liked his old Ford with the cool glass top, and of course his Starduster. If you remember old Gordon Beeson, he just recently passed away.
Chris...

ARUP 01-14-2011 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

And the really great thing about 'rolling your own' is that you end up with the model you want, as big as you want, not what someone else has decided you really need...
Evan, WB #12.
The Pfalz DXII is really neat but I like the Demoiselle the most! I love rolling my own and your words are perfect!

JohnBuckner 01-14-2011 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: scubajohn

the starduster was indeed based at chino my dad lived there in a motor home on the airport for about 15 years if any body wants to build a starduster like his with a radial let me know i could suplly lots of pics

Small world I was a hanger rat at Chino for a couple of years 1970, 72. Did the maiden of my Smith mini there, here is a later picture at twentynine palms. I also did the maiden of a Emigh Commuter 11 helicopter there for an old timer who lived in a camper. He was not a rotor pilot but flew the dickens out of that horrible thing even from his hanger up to his girlfriends at Hesperia. On one of those flights just landing back at Chino it threw rotor blade and crashed right next to the new tower. He survived and rebuilt but it never flew agine and now is in the museum at Page AZ.

John

scubajohn 01-15-2011 07:15 PM

stuntflyer, johnbuckner, the helicopter was not my dads he did not have a wing flinger you may remember erv appelbomb he taught my dad to fly in that starduster after he built it stunt flyer if you hung at his hanger you may know shane freeburn i did here about gorden if you Pm me we could trade numbers my dad knows alot of museum guys and i am sure he would love to hear from you

i am thinking of buying the dirty bird kaos 40 for my old os 46 pump i had on one and flew the heck out of it i moved and flew off a road with trees on one side that coverd road would take off and break away and then land dead stick in the hay field next to it all was wel until one day i said watch this i can slip it it in and land on that road well there was one small branch that i could not see the next thing i said was oh ****

stick to thy flight plan </p>

Thomas B 01-15-2011 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still building here. I do enjoy a number of ARFs....nothing wrong with doing an ARF of a aircraft that you like but do not love enough to scratchbuild or kit build it.

I like to concentrate on the rarely modeled aircraft when I scratch build. Here is my latest original, a Beriev Be-200 turbofan powered amphibian. This one is an electric EDF. In fact, I did this the old fashioned way: No CAD, no laser cut parts, no foam, no vacuformed plastic, no fiberglass, no carbon fiber. Just balsa, ply, hand sketched plans and heat shink covering...:)

I did a good bit of research and my model appears to be the first R/C model ever done of this good looking Russian water bird. (Not exactly vintage or old timer, but it will be one one of these days..;)

Nothing wrong with promoting building, but the folks continually taking pot shots at people that also enjoy ARFs as well seem unkind to me. There is more than enough room for both groups in the hobby.

gene6029 01-16-2011 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

We're still out there! One of my latest projects....Gene

ratshooter 01-16-2011 10:47 AM

ThomasB your russian jet looks neat. I hope you don't think I am picking on you for building ARFs. There is room for everybody. Plus this sport needs all the support it can get. There is no such thing as too many modelers. And like I wrote I have owned 3 ARFs and would like to get an Easy Sport 40 myself. I don't like the color scheme but that can be corrected after the first crash.

Gene now that what I call a real model airplane. Good job.</p>