RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Loft Find (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/10447255-loft-find.html)

sir crashallot 04-06-2011 01:16 PM

Loft Find

1 Attachment(s)

well found these on the net and they caught my attention. one being the low wing model with its hp 40 engine which iv never heard of before, and the second model thats complete.
My questions are what [planes are they and what kit? and also some info about the hp 40 if anyone has any info. Never come accross an engine called hp or with its looks.

heres the pics of them.</p>

fizzwater2 04-06-2011 01:53 PM

RE: Loft Find

Hirtenberger made HP engines - now owned by MECOA in the states.

Some history here:

http://www.mecoa.com/hp/history.htm

I'm afraid I can't help with what the planes might be.

Walt Thyng 04-06-2011 02:12 PM

Don't know about the high winger, but the other one looks like it might be an Andrews Sportmaster. RCM also had something called the RCM Sportster which was similar.

I had an OS 25 that lay in the snow all one winter. Found it in a block of ice; took it home oiled it and flew it for several more years.

The HP 40 was a hot engine in its day.
Walt

Michaelj2k 04-06-2011 04:57 PM

The low wing could possibly be an Andrews Minimaster.

Walt Thyng 04-07-2011 05:07 AM

Michalej2k you're right, the Sportmaster needed at least a hot 40, the 25 was recommended for the Mini. Thanks for jogging my memory on a great flying little bird.
Walt

sir crashallot 04-07-2011 05:47 AM

thanks for geting in touch guys and thanks for the info, the litle low wing plane with the hp 40 in it has a foam vener wing and same for turtle decks. this plane has been in the loft for 20 years pluss and was flown for 10 years before its hibernation. looking at the Andrews Sportmaster it has a diferent tail ect and built up wings so i dont think it is. however after looking at the high wing model it looks to be have been built from plans.

Walt Thyng 04-07-2011 07:56 AM

Yeah, if it's got foam wings, either somebody cut their own or its not an Andrew's.
Walt

Dave Harmon 04-07-2011 07:57 AM

The low wing might be a Johnny Casburn 'Lucky Fly'......somebody help me out, it's been a very long time since I've seen one of these.

Michaelj2k 04-07-2011 08:02 AM

Say, what kind of airfoil is on the low wing? Could it be a Funster?

spaceworm 04-07-2011 09:10 AM

I have a Funster built from RCM plans. I don't think this is one. The Funster has bolt on flat bottom wings, different cowl, different vertical tail, diffferent horiz stab with lifting 'foil, etc. Also the loft plane looks smaller, the Funster had a 72 inch span, basically a low wing Telemaster.

Sincerely, Richard/Club SAITO #635
"Always On, Slightly Off"

hook57 04-21-2011 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Dave Harmon

The low wing might be a Johnny Casburn 'Lucky Fly'......somebody help me out, it's been a very long time since I've seen one of these.
I know this is a few days past but I agree with you Dave, looks a lot like one of J. C.s Lucky Fly series (maybe the II).
hook

Sport_Pilot 04-25-2011 11:43 AM

Oddly you can buy a new HP from Mecoa, but you won't be able to buy a Webra anymore.  The same designer designed both HP and Webra, and except for the carbs and minor differences they are the same engine.  Or that is the old Webra Speed of the late 70's were almost the same engine as the HP Gold Cup.  But HP had some quality control issues, mostly rings with too much gap.

Telemaster Sales UK 04-26-2011 10:12 AM

I thought that the red and silver model looked a bit like a Flair Atilla to which someone has added ailerons.

Then again it could be a "Wrinkly Bottom Flyer," a variation on the Magnatilla which was published as a plan some years ago. The myhobbystore or X List websites may be able to help.

martenson 05-06-2011 04:42 AM

HP is one of my favorit engines, I have 11 HP engines from 1969 to early 1980ths.
Strong and light engines, I have 5 HP 40, 3 pylon rear intake and one like yours and one Gold Cup.

Good Luck;)

Scar 05-06-2011 08:49 AM

Gosh, I love these "Stump the Band" threads!

Not that I have a clue on the engines or planes, but I admire those who do and contribute to the discussion.

I want you guys to know that some of us really appreciate the information you provide.

Thanks,
Dave Olson

sir crashallot 05-25-2011 06:46 AM

Well the low winger is actualy called a magic dragon. i found a website that had a black and white photo that resembles the model. theres allot of peoples rcu names on there so heres the link to site and then to the actual model
www.trentonrcflyers.com/
http://www.trentonrcflyers.com/patte...c%20Dragon.jpg of the model

sir crashallot 05-25-2011 06:48 AM

also allot of you may be wondering what ive been upto since those photos, well the high winger i traded to a friend and hes restoring it as it has damage from storage. and the magic dragon has undergone a complete rebuild,. 4 days on an d off sanding the gloss paint from the model, new entire fin and stab made to origional specs. and a nice new covering applied. will upload photos when i sort out my camera.