RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Wanted - Quickie Article, RCM Dec 1972 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/10930449-wanted-quickie-article-rcm-dec-1972-a.html)

BruceTharpe 01-27-2012 07:27 AM

Wanted - Quickie Article, RCM Dec 1972

I've got the plans for Fred Reese's Quickie, a little .15-size 3-channel taildragger. It's in the running for "Simplest RC Design of All Time". Still, for the sake of curiosity, I'd like to see Fred's article and any photos that go with it. It was published in the December 72 issue of RC Modeler. Scan would be great, willing to buy the mag if you have it...

N1EDM 01-27-2012 01:38 PM

RE: Wanted - Quickie Article, RCM Dec 1972

Hello Bruce,

I've got that issue. Hang around for a while. I'll get it to you.

Bob

TommyWatson 01-27-2012 01:48 PM

Hi bruce,
I will send the scans to your web site email address. Scan is not too good but is readable. If I scan at a higher resolution the file gets too big to email.
If you can't find the magazine over there, you can have mine for the postage.

Regards

Tom Watson

N1EDM 01-27-2012 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is. Boy, they sure didn't waste ink in those days. Is there anything else that you need?

I'm working on a DV right now, my 2nd. My first one would still be flying if I hadn't tried to fly it with an unextended antenna....

Bob

BruceTharpe 01-27-2012 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Bob and Tom :-) Very helpful! Amazing to me how those big, black windows turn a basic box into a pretty cute little model.

To put a bow on this thread, here's a pic from the article...

N1EDM 01-27-2012 03:53 PM

Glad we could help. Drop a picture of the finished model when you're done. We'd love to see it. Are you going to make any mods to it?

Bob

BruceTharpe 01-27-2012 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Are you going to make any mods to it?

Nope. Only modification is to my thinking. Thought I'd stick a lowly OS .10LA on the nose, but after reading the article, Fred talked me into a .15! Maybe I need a hot rod for a change.

I met Fred Reese just a couple of times before he passed away and he seemed genuinely kind and friendly. He was always one of my favorite designers, we definitely thought alike. Seems like when I'm looking at vintage designs to build, the ones that usually draw me in are the ones where I feel a personal connection with the designer. Fred had a lot of fun designs that were more famous, but the Quickie will be my little tribute to him and his efforts.

N1EDM 01-28-2012 05:02 AM

That's a nice though, Bruce. Thanks for that...

Good luck with the Quickie... Keep us in the loop,

Bob

iflyj3 01-28-2012 05:05 AM

Bruce,

Are you going to kit the Quickie? It is a Vintage plane that meets the VRCS criteria.

BruceTharpe 01-28-2012 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

Bruce,

Are you going to kit the Quickie? It is a Vintage plane that meets the VRCS criteria.
No, no. I do have the vintage R/C "bug", but this is about as complex a model as I can squeeze in right now. Will be just a personal model.

Printed plans are available from RCM Plans:

http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1336

EloyM 01-28-2012 08:37 AM

Hi Bruce. Greetings from CA!. Sure that RCM is in my collection, but others have beaten me to get you the info. If it falls
through, let me know. You are right about Fred Reese, I met him when I was with Model Builder Magazine, he came in
a number of times. Great all around person - and modeler, which we see fewer and fewer of every year.
Now finishing up a "Dragonfly" from Model Builder, will fly with a roaring Enya .09 up front. Far cry from my Flying King,
both interesing building projects. Get back to the Quickie - spring is not far off. Eloy Marez

BruceTharpe 01-28-2012 08:48 AM

Great to hear from you Eloy! Was at the AMA Expo, asked about you at the Airtronics booth, Jack told me you were just there... Sorry we didn't bump into each other. Thanks for chiming in here.

Can't quite picture the Dragonfly from MB, got a pic?

TommyWatson 03-01-2012 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bruce,

I got inspired with the Quickie after your post so I got the full size plan from RCM and have almost finished. I have gone all electric in my flying (No more Glow or Turbines). I have installed a Tower Hobbies Rimfire .10 Outrunner. I just need to make up the pushrods and finish the covering and painting. Have you started on yours?

BruceTharpe 03-01-2012 07:02 AM

Way to go Tommy! The Quickie craze is sweeping the planet :D

Mine's not built, but parts are cut and engine, servos, spinner, etc... are on their way. Will wait for an opening, then throw it together - hoping two concentrated days will do it. I ordered three different sets of wheel pants, will decide which is best when they get here. What pants did you use?

TommyWatson 03-01-2012 12:07 PM

Hi Bruce,

I found a complete U/C set at my local Hobby shop/ It was too wide so I tried to rebend the legs, bt it snapped. So I cut another U/C from alluminium and mounted the plastic wheel pants and wheels in it. I should have mine finished in a few days. Still deciding on the finish and colour.
I can't wait to fly it.

Both of my Reactions are still flying with their new owners.

Regards

TommyWatson 03-05-2012 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maiden flight of the Quickie today. Flew very well. I need to fit a bigger prop and get a bit more power from the motor and battery. Stable for such a small model.

BruceTharpe 03-06-2012 07:40 AM

Way to go, Tommy, congrats! Did you cover with clear film? Thinking about doing a portion of mine in clear...

TommyWatson 03-06-2012 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bruce,

No, I got lazy and just doped the wood. One of the advantages of electric power is No fuelproofing is required.
I added the dayglow red so I could see it in the air. Looks OK from a distance !!

Regards

BruceTharpe 10-09-2012 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought it was time to update this old thread. It's been a very busy year for me, but I squeezed in mini building sessions here and there and finished my Quickie a few months ago. Finish is white and transparent red Monokote with a clear mylar laminating film for the rest of it. White dope inside the engine compartment. Wheel pants are from a Flyzone Switch - they needed some filling on the seams and re-painting, but they suit the model fairly well. All up weight is 2lb, 1 oz. (33 ounces).

The engine is a brand new Enya .15-V. Enyas have a reputation for taking a long time to break in and then lasting forever. I can confirm the long time to break in part. Ran about 1/2 gallon of fuel through it on a test stand and it went from being incredibly tight to just plain tight. Running very rich in the plane now to keep from heating up and stopping.

Flew for the first time at our VRCS fly-in on September 1, and won the Pilot's Choice Award. It's made a few flights since then as well. It's a pretty nifty little flyer for just rudder and elevator flight controls. It's faster than it looks and it does great snaps! Takeoffs are a challenge, you gotta be quick on the sticks. Landing approach is solid, but touchdows always remind me it's a tiny little airplane with all the bouncing and skittering (maybe it's me!). Anyway, the Quickie was a fun, easy project and it's a kick in the air.

TommyWatson 10-09-2012 10:11 PM

Well done Bruce. Looks neater than mine.

Regards

landeck 10-10-2012 11:21 AM

Bruce, that brings back a lot of memories. In the mid '70s we built that plane as a club racer in the RAF (Roswell Air Force). We had to use a Fox 15 for power and have a fuel cut off that worked on full down elevator. They were a lot of fun and provided a couple of summers of good racing that anyone could join in.

Bruce

BruceTharpe 10-10-2012 12:12 PM

Sounds like fun! After starting this project, I was flipping through some old mags and discovered ads for a Quickie kit. Michigan Hobby Hangar made kits back in the day, along with a Quickie Bipe. Were most of your racers built from kits or from the RCM plans?

MrMulligan 10-10-2012 02:57 PM

This thread brought back memories. I had a kit of the Quickie Bipe in the 70's and a great flying plane with a Veco .19. I had a plans built one in the late 90's done by a friend who built two at one time. Going through my stuff just now, I found a set of plans for a Quickie Bipe and two sets for the Quickie. If you're interested, email or PM me. They deserve to be built.

landeck 10-11-2012 10:16 AM

We bought the kits from Michigan Hobby Hanger in bulk and got a nice discount. I think it was around 20 kits. I still had mine up till about 5 years ago when I had to go through my hanger and clean out the ones I knew I would not fly again. Of course, now I wish I had kept it.:)

Bruce

BruceTharpe 10-11-2012 02:14 PM

It would be a nifty little airplane for pylon racing; would love to see four or more buzzing around a course. Wonder if there's a group pic of your racers out there somewhere...

The Quickie Bipe was published in the Oct 75 issue of RCM. Fred Reese designed the original, but the Bipe was designed by George F. Jennings. In the article, George mentions he is from Michigan, so I wonder if he was connected with Michigan Hobby Hangar in some way?