RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   FREE to good home, Aviation and Model Magizines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/11628037-free-good-home-aviation-model-magizines.html)

Truckracer 03-27-2016 04:37 PM

FREE to good home, Aviation and Model Magizines

I'm going to post these here first rather than in the classifieds as I believe there may be more loyal modelers here that will appreciate the information.

I have probably 2000 or so (guess on #) Model and General Aviation magazines I will give to someone who will use and enjoy them. These have been collected starting in the 60's thru the present time and include such magazines as but not limited to ......

RC magazines:

RCM
MAN
Model Builder
RC Report
Misc. RC Heli mags
American Aircraft Modeler
Flying Models
Model Aviation

Full scale magazines:

EAA Sport Aviation
AOPA magazine
Others

Many years are full volumes and include some of the more desirable RCM's from the 60's. Some years are partial and there are quite a few missing issuesin the mid 80's when I went through a divorce. Some magazines are pristine and some are well worn and dog eared as they were all well read multiple times. I considered them valuable reference material before we had the Internet and treated them as treasures. All have been kept in a dry environment so none have any water damage and they are not musty smelling like old magazines often are.

All will have to go away at one time and it will take a fairly large vehicle to haul them. They would fit in a pickup but it would be a full load. They are currently in plastic storage tubs but I will be keeping the tubs. All will have to be picked up in Des Moines, Iowa as they would be very difficult and expensive to ship and more work than I want to take on. My guess is they will weigh over 1000 pounds as each tub weighs about 80 pounds.

These are a bit like giving away a child as they have been a part of my life for a long time. I need to dispose of them while I'm in good health as down the road, they will be just so much trash for any of my heirs.

Let me know if you would be interested.

hartenbos 05-06-2016 04:56 AM

Hi Truckracer,

I hear your heart re the Modelling Magazines.

I have been collecting aero modelling bits & pieces - including a vast variety of aero modelling magazines for many years now. Some go back to the 1930's.

Question is.... How to find a "good home" for these priceless works of art. I believe the magazines never "date" (even though prices advertised & kits for sale are no longer current).

Good luck finding a "good home"...

Aero modelling regards from South Africa

Truckracer 05-06-2016 11:54 AM

hartenbos, thanks for your concern!

So sad, it seems that there is almost zero interest in vast collections of old modeling magazines. With younger people and the electronic media dominating the scene these days, paper documents are coming to an end.

I really don't know what to do with the collection. When I pass one day, none of my family will have any interest in them so if they haven't found a good home by then, they'll probably all get trashed. Oh well, at least I won't be around to cry over a sad outcome.

foodstick 05-08-2016 07:06 PM

We could use them to insulate the Clubhouse at Elkhart ;)

I always pull the sticker of my new ones and leave them at any dentist or Dr. office I visit...

its definitely a sign of the times.. I am just glad they don't all have full size plan inserts for nice scale builds, I hate seeing nice plans thrown away.

Truckracer 05-08-2016 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by foodstick (Post 12211381)
We could use them to insulate the Clubhouse at Elkhart ;)

I'm sure they have a rule against that. If not, they would pass one! ;) :mad:

Maybe some of the FOGs and habitual rule passers could use some of the less popular AMA magazines in the outhouse .... and not as reading material?!

hartenbos 05-09-2016 12:53 AM

Sacrilege to even think about abusing "Afrikana" like that.... :mad:

Somewhere - some AMA Heritage site or something of the like - should make an effort to incorporate the mags in their display.

We have a coffee room where modellers can come and chat & browse old mags to their heart's delight. How about doing this in your area?

foodstick 05-09-2016 03:58 PM

What I love are those old British airplane mags with the full size plans in them.. those things are just great...

I think I have one where a machinist scratch builds a running Merlin for his 1/5th scale Spitfire ! ...somewhere.... I recall when finished it wouldn't make enough power to fly the plane ....

74SEVEN7 08-02-2016 03:51 PM

Would any of you magazine collectors have the November 1987 issue of Model Builder ? I'm trying to get a scan of Stu Richmonds article on the tiny T. Wasp 0.01 cc engine by Giovani. Thanks in advance ! BOB

ggeezer 08-03-2016 02:06 PM

I can help Bob. Send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Orv.

ggeezer 09-12-2016 04:25 PM

Truckracer
Are the Model builder magazines still available, I know someone who is looking for them.

Orv.

Truckracer 09-12-2016 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by ggeezer (Post 12256798)
Truckracer
Are the Model builder magazines still available, I know someone who is looking for them.

Orv.

Yes they are but it will be a few weeks before I could get to them to see what is there. When I can, I will inventory them and report back here. Most of the Model Builder mags are earlier years if that matters.

fritzke 09-21-2016 06:00 PM

Wasp .010

1 Attachment(s)
yo!
Dave

g-rock 10-07-2016 12:53 PM

Dave,
Do you have the rest of the article? Thanks.
Gene