RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Cosmo 25 SR anybody else have one? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/2614497-cosmo-25-sr-anybody-else-have-one.html)

Daryl_y 02-02-2005 07:30 PM

Cosmo 25 SR anybody else have one?

1 Attachment(s)
Here lies the first plane I have ever built. I built it about 14 years ago when I was in Jr. High When I go a little older I lost intrested in the hobby and gained interest in fast cars and women . I regained intresst in the R/C about 9 months ago and used this plane to regain my wings. I flew it for several months while my current planes were under construction until it was a victim of a mid-air which as you can see pretty much destroyed it. This plane flew very well tih an OS 40 fp and is next on my list to make another one from the plans I still have. It is a Cosmo 25sr made by the Cosmo adult hobbby and craft company. Just wondering if anybody else ever had one of these. The other picture attached is of my Ace Cloud Dancer 60 (my current favorite)

scalebldr 02-06-2005 04:59 PM

RE: Cosmo 25 SR anybody else have one?

I have built and flown three of these with .25 size engines.they do make good 4 channel trainers .world engines used to import them before they sold out to indy r/c .looks like you just need half a wing.good luck

hfenn 02-07-2005 11:15 AM

I built two in 1987. They were my first product test report for R/C Report Magazine. The first was built stock with an OS 25FP. The second I built the wing with no dihedral and an FP 40. It was fast. Coincidenatlly, it died in a mid-air also. The first one with the .25FP still exists, but the owner doesn't fly anymore.

Daryl_y 02-09-2005 11:33 PM

Good to hear from a few other people that have built these. Unfortunately Scalbldr although only 1 wing half is destroyed it is a 14 year old model that has more flight hours than many real aircraft and was lost in a corn field for a couple weeks until spotted by a private pilot. So the wood is pretty rotten under the covering so it doesn't really make sense to rebuild it. I still have the plans and a Formica wing rib template, so it would be easy to build another one (which I plan to do soon). I still have the 40fp that was originally in it but I am thinking a OS .32 or Supertigre .34 would be perfect for it

p51b 02-16-2005 03:20 PM

I have one that I recently built from a kit that had been lying around for almost 15 years and had survived several moves, etc.

Actually, you might have a tough time recognizing it, because I decided to invert the fuselage, cowl the engine, and build it as a low-winger. I had a friend some years ago who had a really good flying Ace Super Pacer with a ST 25 in it and had always wanted to try a .25 sized airplane. It is powered by a piped OS25FSR, and that seems to be all the power it needs.

I have only flown it a couple of times and am still trying to get it trimmed out so I can decide whether I like it or not. I had almost doubled the rudder area, but it still lacks a bit of rudder authority, particularly in a vertical climb.

The kit wasn't bad, though it built up a bit on the heavy side.

tri-squireflyer 04-02-2005 11:08 PM

I've had one of these NIB for a number of years. Never spoke with anyone who had ever built or flown one. Nice to know they fly good! Think I bought it at an auction 'swap shop'. Glad you saved the plans and wing template. Wish I'd done that with my Sterling R/C Monocoupe or the Andrews Trainermaster! Oh, the errors of youth!

tri-squireflyer 04-02-2005 11:15 PM

Sorry, I'm brand new to this forum. I posted a reply to the wrong person. Check your Cosmo 25 question. Tri-squireflyer

SGC 04-06-2005 10:45 AM

I have a Cosmo 10SR with an .09 in it fly's great, I also still have the plans and the plans from my brothers Cosmo King 40( got shot down with another transmitter in the car park). all this series of aircraft were great flying models .
Oh I built mine as a tail dragger with reduced dihedral.
Stewart

eatherbreather 02-07-2012 11:28 AM

G'day there!

I learned to fly on a Cosmo 25SR but my first (short lived) model was the Cosmo 10SR. I'd love to get another one and fly it now that I can fly just to see what it was like!.

aerowoof 02-07-2012 12:20 PM

they are long out of production,check the classifieds on rc groups or rcu marketplace they show up every now and then

Satinfoxx 04-26-2015 11:33 AM

I"m re entering R/C after 17 yrs off. Found the Cosmo 25 kit online.Built it & installed an O.S. 32, more than enough power. Good vertical performance. Plane tracks straight & flat. They did well when they designed this plane.I cut off the beam eng. mounts & used a DB mount.Steerable N.G. Watch your CG.Tends 2B nose heavy w/ 32.RX battery mounted vertical, & just BEHIND the fuel tank.

takEon 05-17-2015 07:14 PM

If you are interested in building from plans, the Cosmo 25 SR is available on outerzone. I had one that I converted to low wing flew with a Webra .32 ABCD. Great airplane!

Satinfoxx 05-17-2015 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by tri-squireflyer (Post 2836557)
I've had one of these NIB for a number of years. Never spoke with anyone who had ever built or flown one. Nice to know they fly good! Think I bought it at an auction 'swap shop'. Glad you saved the plans and wing template. Wish I'd done that with my Sterling R/C Monocoupe or the Andrews Trainermaster! Oh, the errors of youth!

tri-squireflyer,
You say you HAVE one NIB? Do you care to sell it???
I want to build a 2nd one for back up.
Thanks a lot.

Satinfoxx 05-17-2015 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by takEon (Post 12039978)
If you are interested in building from plans, the Cosmo 25 SR is available on outerzone. I had one that I converted to low wing flew with a Webra .32 ABCD. Great airplane!

takEon,
Thanks for the information. I saved the plans.
I'd like to find another Cosmo 25 kit to build as a back up.

martin_solo 07-13-2017 01:23 PM

Does any one know when this model was designed?
I have one and I am hoping it was no later then 1980 so it will qualify for a local vintage fly in event that requires models up to 1980.

Martin

stubaz 11-02-2019 07:01 AM

Hi, Yes I actually have one right in front of me. It's still in it's original box, although I have had to reseal it as one end of it gave way the last time I picked the box up. The glue holding the cardboard together gave way. Nothing was broken, but it was impossible to get it all back in the box as it was when it was new. For the right price I may be talked into selling it, but I'd have to be careful as it was given to me as a gift.

bharmon 04-02-2020 03:36 AM

There is one on Facebook now. Search Cosmo 25 SR waffle. It is a pretty fun group that uses waffles to sell rc items

pjwright 07-05-2020 06:40 AM

Wing Ribs for Cosmo 25SR

Originally Posted by Daryl_y (Post 2641087)
Good to hear from a few other people that have built these. Unfortunately Scalbldr although only 1 wing half is destroyed it is a 14 year old model that has more flight hours than many real aircraft and was lost in a corn field for a couple weeks until spotted by a private pilot. So the wood is pretty rotten under the covering so it doesn't really make sense to rebuild it. I still have the plans and a Formica wing rib template, so it would be easy to build another one (which I plan to do soon). I still have the 40fp that was originally in it but I am thinking a OS .32 or Supertigre .34 would be perfect for it

I acquired a box of "Cosmo" stuff off ebay a few years ago that included a complete Cosmo 40SR kit, plus a partial Cosmo 25SR kit. The latter included extra wing ribs (the plane requires two P5 and one P6 sheet). I'd part with the extra ribs for the cost of shipping if it'd help. Suggest e-mail at [email protected], since I don't know if RCU PM is working.
;-)
PJ