RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   1954 SEA-CAT (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/3800458-1954-sea-cat.html)

shorty6235 01-20-2006 11:04 AM

1954 SEA-CAT

I have the original plans for the 1954 SEA-CAT from Berkeley Models. I'm looking for some more info on it and a pic.

BOB MOORE 02-02-2007 08:08 PM

RE: 1954 SEA-CAT

1 Attachment(s)
I built this Sea Cat about 9 years ago for a pal of mine. We flew it off out runway using a metal landing gear. It flew great but real slow.We never flew off water. My pal died several months ago, and i have model in my shop. The power is a OS26 four cycle. I plan to fly it again in the spring

Joe Nagy 02-02-2007 08:45 PM

Hi Shorty;

Greetings from a very wet and soggy Florida.

The Sea Cat by the late Henry Struck was presented as a construction article in Model Airplane News back in the early 50s, can't remember the date rite now, my magazine archives is in Phoenix, and I am in Florida for a couple more weeks. I have the magazine, badly mouse eaten, [I purchased a bunch'o'old mags a while back], anyways, I can make you a copy of said article if you want it. I also have an original Berkeley kit of the Sea Cat; you have to hand out the kudos to these old timers, designing such advanced models at the time of shuch primitive radio equipment, makes you kind of wonder as to how they did it. I will close for now, best regards from Florida's beautiful Gulf Coast,

Joe Nagy.

Harley Condra 02-06-2007 11:38 AM

I have a complete Berkely Sea Cat kit in the original box....too bad, but the box top was almost completely destroyed during my move from California to Montana 1 1/2 years ago.
I was very fortunate to have bought the kit from a hobby shop when it closed in San Diego over 20 years ago.
Any idea what the kit is worth today? It's all there, newver started, and totally complete.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP

DaveP 02-06-2007 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Henry Struck's article was in the August, 1954 issue of Model Airplane News. I've wanted to build it since '54 but never got a round tuit.
-Dave

P.S.: Hmmmm. RCUniverse is showing a slightly smaller version than what I uploaded. My original is small, but more readable. If you want it emailed, PM me.

CoosBayLumber 02-06-2007 08:30 PM

I dunno, but have received a rash of requests on the Sea Cat recently.

Back a few years ago, I laser cut the ribs for a wing, as mine was damaged. I am going to make another run of ribs, tips, float strut, etc. for the Sea Cat but only for the main wing. No other parts. These of 3/32, 1/8 and plywood. I cannot locate my pile of 3/32, but ought to have those parts in hand before end of February. The other two sizes have been cut and are in a pile out back. No plans available. You need to use the originals or copies to locate where to glue parts. And remember, this A/C has some non-standard sized wood involved.

If you want a copy of wing parts, contact me via P.M. with your address or zip code so I can figure shipping cost. It used to be near $20 for everything, but due to recent postal rate increases, this same may be at $22 now.

Remember, this for main wing only.

Wm.

lakedunmore52 02-07-2007 09:20 PM

I have a complete kit with the box in good condition setting in my attic. To build on the famous "someday" time frame. How can I help you?

Joe Nagy 02-23-2007 05:48 PM

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

For those interested in da 'Sea Cat', I just spotted a kit for sale in eBay, #330090341794, check her out....not cheap, but at least it is for sale. Good luck. Best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.

Silvaire 03-05-2007 11:35 PM

This RCU classifed seller doesn't seem to have a clue...[&:]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=268687

(I don't want this post to look too stupid if someone gives him a "heads up" and he retitles his listing. This is a built Sea Cat, but he does not know what to call it.)

His asking price seems close to reasonable - if you happen to be in his area and could inspect and pick it up it in person.

Arlen

planeman40 08-20-2007 10:17 PM

For those of you who are interested, I have plans for the Berkeley Sea Cat, Custom Privateer, Privateer, and the Jetco Navigator in high resolution digitized .PDF format ready to e-mail. I am offering these for free to those want a copy. Just e-mail me at [email protected] and note the plan(s) you want. I will send them by return e- mail.

Planeman

dicknadine 08-24-2007 03:06 PM

add my name to the list. have set of plans, so the wing ribs will come in handy some future day. Dick Stamm, PO box 177, Greensburg, La, 90441. thanks dick

joeycatt 09-09-2007 02:01 PM

Shorty - Any possibility of getting a copy of your Sea Cat plans?
My father bought one of these in the late 50's, and I remember the plane.

Stump Jumper 09-28-2007 08:32 PM

I built a Sea Cat several years ago and have had many good flights on it. The horizontal stab had too much negative incidence, about four degrees if I remember right. I reduced it to about one and a half and it worked well. If I were to make one more change I would make the pylons the floats are on an inch shorter. If you are not perfectly into the wind on takeoff the wing will dip catching a float and drag the nose around. Overall a very pleasant plane to fly.

johnkamm10 06-26-2020 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by shorty6235 (Post 3800458)
I have the original plans for the 1954 SEA-CAT from Berkeley Models. I'm looking for some more info on it and a pic.

I have a flying example now, and have flown it for over 40 yrs.........ya I know, but true. I have lots of experience with the model, what do you need to know ????

johnkamm10 06-26-2020 03:42 PM

I have been flying one of these, on again and off for over 40 yrs. Water flying is a entire different plane from land and wheels on so many levels. You will have a blast, nice looking model too

warbird51 07-04-2020 07:29 PM

My present day SeaCat built by my late best friend.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...d3bffe3d8.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...c0ed11bae.jpeg