RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

skylarkmk1 05-27-2007 02:56 PM

RE: WACO YMF

Hi Ken,

I just got back from 2 days of sailboat racing and am bit tired. Sorry to hear about the "oops" and glad the damage was minor. Looks like things are going well repair wise, hope you saved the pattern for the scallops along the leading edge. As long as the paint matches, no one will ever know (except of course the Brotherhood and anybody else you've told:D). Seems like the Cox/Pica construction held up pretty well.

Nightstalker 05-27-2007 03:08 PM

Looking good Lt. Man you work fast for on ol' Air Force guy:D. Good repair pics too. Knowing your finishing skills, too John's point, unless someone knows better, they won't be able to tell... and they Dang sure ain't gonna know that your plane was an ARF originally.

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

Live Wire 05-27-2007 06:43 PM

Jim
You have done a great job with that panel. Glad to have helped with the parts;)
Larry K

Jim Henley 05-27-2007 07:13 PM

Hey Ken,
Repair is looking good, like George and I am sure others, we had a good day weather wise so I went flying. Had a good day got some
(lots) of touch and goes in on the old trainer. If the weather holds up tomorrow our club will have a fly in and I hope to get the Super Stearman out.
With any luck you should have your WACO back in shape by the time your group has it's meet next weekend.

Jim Henley 05-27-2007 07:15 PM

Larry,
Thank You! It was a big help to get those pieces, just wasn't sure how to get started with out them.

khodges 05-27-2007 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Hi Ken,

I just got back from 2 days of sailboat racing and am bit tired. Sorry to hear about the "oops" and glad the damage was minor. Looks like things are going well repair wise, hope you saved the pattern for the scallops along the leading edge. As long as the paint matches, no one will ever know (except of course the Brotherhood and anybody else you've told:D). Seems like the Cox/Pica construction held up pretty well.
Pattern????!!!!!!

:DJust kidding, yeah I saved them; good thing, too, didn't think I'd need them so soon:). What kind of sailboat racing? Full scale? I'm assuming out on the Miss or Mo River. Sounds like a fun alternative to r/c flying. One for windy days, one for calm. I've thought about building an r/c boat just to have something different. It would be a scale something or other; I've looked at a stern wheeler riverboat and the big Dumas Mr Darby tug. The tug would be good at the float fly site as a "retriever":)

I got a bunch of back issues of the AWC newsletter from one of the club officers I e-mailed a few weeks ago. man, you can get either a YMF or a YKS for a tad over $115K. Let's see, if I save all my pocket change and dig around in the sofa cushions, maybe..............................I can afford a ride in one:)

jim schroer 05-27-2007 08:58 PM

Ken, if the engine is not at full power when the tailwheel leaves the ground then the rudder can not completely do the job that now it must do alone. Torque and/or crosswind will overpower it. This may not have been your problem, but it was mine at one time. Jim #9

skylarkmk1 05-27-2007 09:22 PM

Ken,

Full scale sailing over on Lake Carlyle (ILL.) for the Luekemia Race this past weekend. Anything from my little 14' Sunfish on up to 35'-40' Cabin sailboats. Normaly, I sail at Creve Coeur Lake near the CC Airport with the CC Sailing Assoc., a dry sailing club (boats must be trailerable). We race every othe week (roughly).

I had a couple of R/C electric power boats, still have an old outrigger race boat and have a "Bingo" sailboat to build, but the building area is getting over crowded with projects. An electric boat does work well as a retriver (boat or aircraft).

Well, if you have some extra cash, CCA has the opportunity to get a ride in either a PT-17 or an SNJ. Who knows, you might be able to get a ride during the Fly In.

khodges 05-27-2007 09:32 PM

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I'm ready to try anything about now; I'm looking for somebody big enough to hand launch it:D

I readjusted the tailwheel today, and took the fuse out on the paitio to see what it does. I loosened the spring setup on the control rod to allow the tailwheel to caster about 5 degrees each side of straight, and set it so I have some right rudder in when the wheel is held straight. The free caster almost allows the wheel to be straight with a the rudder straight, meaning I can move the rudder a little to the right without affecting the tailwheel movement at all. Taxiing around the patio, it seems to work pretty well. My thought is that at the start of takeoff roll, the tendency of the tailwheel to run straight, plus the spring action in the control rod, will allow it to track straight to the point the tail lifts, and I'll have right rudder already in when this happens. Plus, just a matter of getting used to how much rudder I need. My little UPF Sportsman was real bad for this, but I got used to it. Just hope I get used to this one before I completely trash it:D

Stickbuilder 05-28-2007 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: khodges

Thanks for the tip, Jim. I'm ready to try anything about now; I'm looking for somebody big enough to hand launch it:D

I readjusted the tailwheel today, and took the fuse out on the paitio to see what it does. I loosened the spring setup on the control rod to allow the tailwheel to caster about 5 degrees each side of straight, and set it so I have some right rudder in when the wheel is held straight. The free caster almost allows the wheel to be straight with a the rudder straight, meaning I can move the rudder a little to the right without affecting the tailwheel movement at all. Taxiing around the patio, it seems to work pretty well. My thought is that at the start of takeoff roll, the tendency of the tailwheel to run straight, plus the spring action in the control rod, will allow it to track straight to the point the tail lifts, and I'll have right rudder already in when this happens. Plus, just a matter of getting used to how much rudder I need. My little UPF Sportsman was real bad for this, but I got used to it. Just hope I get used to this one before I completely trash it:D
Somebody big enough to hand launch the UMF????? Well, judging from the Tee Shirt orders that I saw, and the number of extra large shirts.....There should be several somebody's that could be your hand launch expert.....:D:D:D.

I like the idea of having the tailwheel be able to caster a few degrees. Let us know how that works.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

khodges 05-28-2007 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Master Chief,

I got the idea from a big old plane I fly a lot. It has a tailwheel setup that is connected to the rudder by springs, and there's a lot of loose play in it; however, since the axle of the wheel is behind the pivot point of the wheel assembly, it tends to straighten itself out, and it tracks really well taxiing on the ground. I see no reason the UMF's setup won't behave the same way. Primer coats are on the repair, I'll mask and spray the basecoat tomorrow, give it a day to cure, and spray the trim color Thursday. All other repairs are done, it's ready to try again.

I had to change the main gear struts, the ends weren't strong enough. I made straps for the ends and riveted them on. I can hang off them now and they stay put. The struts are carbon fiber.

Live Wire 05-28-2007 09:19 PM

The trick is to learn that the left stick controls the tail wheel. I have seen people that fly ailrons only and that does not work

Stickbuilder 05-29-2007 07:06 AM

It should work just fine. I can't wait to see the final result.

Outlaw....Ain't it the truth. There are more planes that have never had any rudder input than you would believe. I sometimes wonder why they even bother using a servo for the rudder, and don't just pin the rudder straight ahead. Taildragger flying means using the rudder (a lot).

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Nightstalker 05-29-2007 08:11 PM

HELLO.......ello..........lo..........o.....o

HELLO hello........ello.....lo.....o....o Is anybody out there.......ere....ere..???
I try my best not to quote Air Force Lt's... but to echo Ken's point :)... Where is everybody??? The Master Chief's "puter" goes Tango Uniform and all posting is on hold? I was on line all day at work today and actually had to work because there was nothing new to read here.

Bill - If you're gonna let a former Air Force Officer fix his crashed aero'chine faster than you can fix a crashed hard drive... well, I'm no longer ashamed of being an ol' ARMY Doggie:D ARF, ARF, ARF... (no offense Lt. [8D])

Out Here (for now)

Todd

WACO Brotherhood #47

khodges 05-29-2007 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

......... fix his crashed aero'chine faster than you can fix a crashed hard drive...
I'm sure some epoxy, a patch of koverall and a dollop of dope and the Master Chief's hard drive will be good as new:):)

Nightstalker 05-29-2007 08:46 PM

......... fix his crashed aero'chine faster than you can fix a crashed hard drive...
I'm sure some epoxy, a patch of koverall and a dollop of dope and the Master Chief's hard drive will be good as new:):)
If it were that easy, he'd be chimming in here... he's probably out of dope:D

WOW... third post of the day on this thread :eek:... back to my cement pond.

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

Live Wire 05-29-2007 09:05 PM

I just get a kick out of reading some of these wild posts. I seem to get to may irons in the fire at the same time and the Waco gets the back seat. I got the fuse and lower wing refinished and that is where it hanges waiting for the detail man to get off and on.

Nightstalker 05-29-2007 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: RC Outlaw

I just get a kick out of reading some of these wild posts.
Larry - At least some of the Brotherhood does... wish I had a dime for every time I've been scolded via PM for posting off topic. I agree - the occasional off topic, light hearted (sometimes humerous) posts are what make this such an enjoyable thread. Could be a lot more duller than it was today... if only the on topic guys posted.

Todd

WACO Brotherhood #47

tomcraig 05-29-2007 09:39 PM

I just received my plans and templates from the AMA. I want to thank master Cheif for all the work he did tracing and documenting of the templates. That was a lot of time and effort. Thanks again MC

khodges 05-29-2007 09:52 PM

... he's probably out of dope:D

If he could bottle you and me, 'Stalker, he'd have a lifetime supply.:D:D Kind of miss the old sailor, hope he gets a new drive soon.

Well, it looks like a plane again, but it kind of P.O.'s me that the yellow paint doesn't quite match, just a hair of difference in shade due to difference in lot # I guess. I feathered it in the best I could. The finish has a tad more brush stroke in it from the primer coat, I notice it anyway, but the covering transition is invisible under the rib tape. I'll have it at the fly-in this weekend. Don't know if I'll get to fly it, we generally don't allow maiden flights at our fly-ins (safety--unproven aircraft) but technically, it has flown once. I want to get a good dozen flights on her before trying the smoke system.

On to other projects now, unless I ding it again, then I'll get really upset. I want to build the floats next. Then maybe refurbish the Sportsman UPF-7.......AGAIN, and then open another new box. There's two I really want to build, but can't decide which one first. I have a 1/4 scale L-19 (108 inch w.s.), Vaillancourt plans and Precision Cut kit, have the engine (ZDZ-50NG), radio and servos already. I also have the new BUSA SPAD XIII, and also have an engine and servos. I've had the BirdDog longer, so I'm leaning that way. It will go in a Vietnam scheme.

damifino 05-29-2007 10:09 PM

WACO TEE ORDER STATUS: As of Tuesday May 29 I have received payments from those Brothers' names followed by the word 'PAID'. The names listed in 'BLUE' requested to be on the list but I have not yet received payment.
Please try to have your payments in by Thursday May 31. I am only having shirts printed that are paid for at that time. Guys; if you have told me you've sent payment and for some reason it has not arrived by May 31 don't worry, just please let me know you've sent payment and I'll go ahead with printing them. Thanks!

WACO BROTHERHOOD TEE SHIRT REQUESTS,
I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE PAYMENT FROM THE NAMES IN 'BLUE'
#1 Stickbuilder PAID
#2 Hughes500E I'll print yours and inform you of shipping
#3 Jim Henley PAID
#4 mmattockx PAID
#5 CTflyboy PAID
#6 michaelj2k PAID
#7 Ronj10
#8 gwulle
#9 jim schroer PAID
#10 Skinny Bob PAID
#11 Bart5495 PAID
#12 Pimmnz I'll print yours and inform you of shipping
#13 HarryJ
No. 14 Old Git PAID
#15 ChrisMH PAID
#16 Nerevar
#17 Ricatic PAID
#18 Clay H. PAID
#19 Tripp2Loo PAID
#20 KHodges PAID
#21 Bill Hogue (WACO One) PAID
#22 Mangolo (Waldo)
#23 av8ter
#24 yel914 PAID
#25 damifino
#26 skylarkmk1 PAID
#27 Jacque PAID
#28 Edwin
#29 AROPLANE
#30 CubNut (Anthony)
#31 BQuartucy (Bob Q)
#32 AERORON
#33 funkymusic PAID
#34 RCOutlaw PAID
#35 obo (Bob)
#36 Jackk36 (Jack)
#37 fatherrooster (Jim)
#38 Ilikebipes
#39 Kestrel0222 PAID
#40 CROWMAN17 (Marc) PAID- BUT NEED YOUR SIZES!!
#41 redcesar
#42 S. Christensen (Scott)
#43 Bill Deidrich
#44 Mike Barbee
#45 Bass-Ackward
#46 SoCalSal PAID
#47 Todd (NightStalker) PAID
#48 argon (Bob Gonzalez)
#49 mango 12 (Scott)
#50 skyjet 1 PAID
#51 ZIG PAID
#55 vasek PAID
#60 doc zinger
#64 stifts (Steve) PAID
#66 Mobyal PAID
#69 trlambsr
#77 tomcraig PAID
#100 nine o nine
#?? ag4ever PAID
J J Marier PAID
T Janiszewski PAID

Nightstalker 05-29-2007 10:12 PM

... he's probably out of dope:D

Kind of miss the old sailor, hope he gets a new drive soon.
Yeah - I bet "Tink" has been sayin' that for years...:D:D:D.

OK, I'll quit... but DANG... off topic's fun[8D]

Out Here (and Night, Night)

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

mrdhud 05-29-2007 10:13 PM

I have bought a scroll saw and been practicing cutting scrap balsa ( sure not like a skill saw )
I got my 5/32 balsa in from Sig think I'll start cutting wing ribs. I'm making light ply jigs for some of the ribs you have to cut many of. QUESTION is do you cut one at a time or can I cut 4 or 5 at a time and if so how do you hold them together? Any other suggestions will be much appreciated.

As always thanks

Tom, looks like you and I will be building at the same time. The stickbuilder is quite a guy hes the one that got me fired up ( thanks Bill )

damifino 05-29-2007 10:25 PM

You can pin ribs together. 6 ribs are not too hard to handle but 4 lessens the error factor a little. I pin the stack from the top and the bottom. Scotch brand double sided tape from the office supply store works good as extra insurance against slipping if you put a piece between each layer in addition to pins. Make a few test cuts to insure your saw's table is adjusted so your stack's sides are cut perfectly square.

I posted this info a while back. Here it is again-

Just a thought- I took my plans to Kinkos and ran a copy of each sheet. After determining the copy's size matched the 'original' I cut up the new Kinkos' copy to use as my building plans and kept my original plans in one piece for reference. My parts tracings came directly from STICKBUILDER and I also kept them as 'master patterns' and used copies for cutting my parts. You never know when you'll need them again. You may be planning on doing all that, but thought I'd throw those thoughts out to you.

Contact adhesive in aerosol cans (3M 77) is my preferred method of attaching the parts tracings to balsa or ply. For cutting multiples of the same part I often use Scotch brand double sided tape to stick together up to 4 layers of wood. A heat gun warms the adhesive enough to allow you to cleanly pull the paper patterns' remains from the wood after cutting.

mrdhud 05-29-2007 11:00 PM

Thanks damifino I'll pick up some double sided tape and contact adhesive and get cutting. Good idea copying plans to.

Thanks