RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Sr Falcon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/577926-sr-falcon.html)

Mrtazmaned 02-23-2003 04:26 PM

Sr Falcon

The original CG Sr. Falcon flew with a .35 size engine. It has built up tail feathers, and a 69' span. I bought my kit for $20 and got around to building it about 12 years ago. Still flies like a joy with an OS 46.

Happy times come with this plane!!
Enjoy..

Ikaros 02-28-2003 11:24 PM

Sr Falcon

I had one Falcon SR too. Great model.

Cheers,
Ikaros

Keefer 03-03-2003 02:26 AM

Sr Falcon

I'm flying a great Falcon 56 - with a K&B Sportster 28. Also a joy. I've completed my collection of kits of the entire Falcon and Skylark line, and look forward to building them all!

propjaw 03-03-2003 05:50 AM

Sr. Falcon memories

Yes I had two of them. bought them used minus radio and engine from the flyers who stepped up to faster aircraft. I powered one with a Kraft 61 and the other with a Enya 60. I swore I would never fly an aircraft larger than a 40 size engine, but when the Falcon took off with that 72" span and you could really see that plane in the air, I really felt comfortable with this model. You could fly with 1/3 throttle and had all that power to spare if there was wind. I finally went and bought a new kit of this plane and when I opened the box I could not believe the amount of wood used to build this kit. It is truly a builders project but well worth it when it is done. The only problem I ever had with it was the fuel tank starting to wear away from laying on the engine bearers due to vibration. A friend of mine has an epoxyglass Sr. Falcon fuselage. Wonder where he got that from? What a great model!

Mike Denest 03-03-2003 04:53 PM

Re: Sr. Falcon memories

Originally posted by avion
A friend of mine has an epoxyglass Sr. Falcon fuselage. Wonder where he got that from? What a great model!
That one was from a little shop in Baltimore, MD called Action Industries. I saw them laying up fueslages for both the Sr. Falcon and a Dick Riggs design called Aeolus for Goodyear pylon. They did high quality work on the fuselage; all you had to do was get a Goldberg wing kit and build. I flew one with an ST .56 on the front end and the old "tin box" Kraft proportional inside. It was an excellent flyer.

Mike

FLYBOY 03-03-2003 11:10 PM

Sr Falcon

Ours has 4 .15s on the wing. Built to look like a fire tanker. Looks cool. Flys better.

mike holland 05-26-2003 08:17 PM

Sr Falcon

RE: Sr Falcon glass fuselages. I used to work for Action Industries on Reisterstown Rd in Baltimore. The owner and I started (with C. Goldberg's) permission, to lay up and sell the fuselage only (29.95) or the fuse and wood parts (39.95) as kits in the mid 60's. Besides the Aeolis by Riggs we did a 36 inch boat hull, ala cabin cruise style. We demo'ed the Falcons at the 64 Nats in Willow Grove PA utilizing t ST60's. Still have a couple in storage but would guess they might be brittle by now.

propjaw 05-26-2003 08:48 PM

sr. falcon fuse

Thanks for the info Mike. I had no idea that the Sr. Falcon dates that far back. What do think of the possibility of ever seeing it again maybe as an ARF. Avion

Mike Denest 05-27-2003 10:26 AM

Action Industries

Mike Holland-
I have one of the Aeolus fuselages that was produced by your company. The glass work is excellent and as far as I am concerned, I wouldn't have a problem finishing and flying it. The same quality applies for the Sr. Falcon and if anyone has one of these fuselages by all means get it flying! It is an excellent airplane.

BruceLBarner 05-28-2003 08:43 AM

Sr Falcon

Thanks for the falcon stories and info guy's, I had acquired a falcon from a fellow flier a year ago when he put it to the ground with the landing gear pointing up. I rebuilt the plane and have had many hours in the past year with the falcon. I really favored that lil plane over all my others. However last Sunday either i lost it of had a receiver whack out. "Receiver is still in the shop." Anyway I hit a telephone poll and now all I have is many pieces of the fuse and a wing to remember my falcon. I do have the plans for the falcon and maybe one day I will sit and build a fuse. But with many other projects in the works guess it will be on the wreck wall of fame for a long while...." That wrecked wall of fame seams to keep expanding...... Can't seam to figure out why"....

BobHH 05-28-2003 12:04 PM

Just Put One In Airplane New Column

Hey guys I just put a Sr Falcon built and covered but needing finishing paint in the Airplane New or partially built. I would consider trades for a complete Testors GG system.

Bob Harris

Duie 05-29-2003 12:36 AM

Sr Falcon

Originally posted by mike holland
RE: Sr Falcon glass fuselages. I used to work for Action Industries on Reisterstown Rd in Baltimore. The owner and I started (with C. Goldberg's) permission, to lay up and sell the fuselage only (29.95) or the fuse and wood parts (39.95) as kits in the mid 60's. Besides the Aeolis by Riggs we did a 36 inch boat hull, ala cabin cruise style. We demo'ed the Falcons at the 64 Nats in Willow Grove PA utilizing t ST60's. Still have a couple in storage but would guess they might be brittle by now.

MIKE:

Couldn't help but enjoy the history lesson and the honest remarks on the Sr Falcon.

Thinking back, I attended the NATS at Willow Grove NAS a year before I graduated from Penn State in December of 1963, so your date of 1964 is off somewhat.......

Hope you don't mind the correction.

Duie

Mike Denest 05-29-2003 10:42 AM

Willow Grove NATS

Sorry fellas, the Navy hosted NATS were rotated around the country between Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles and Dallas each year. I think either 1971 or 1972 was the last year of Navy sponsorship. When I started in modeling, the NATS were at Willow Grove in 1961, 1965 and 1969. That's one week of modeling fun I'll always remember. :D