RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Top Flite Holy Smoke .40 plans, want 'em? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/5833546-top-flite-holy-smoke-40-plans-want-em.html)

Tkeith9512 05-09-2007 06:22 PM

Top Flite Holy Smoke .40 plans, want 'em?

I just got a 1985 Top Flite Holy Smoke .40, complete kit. Stole it off of Ebay for under $40. It has the plans and instruction book. I'm going out of town for a long weekend, but I'll scan them when I get home and make them available for download if anyone is interested.

Anyone have one or flown one? I remember my uncle's plane as being a lightning fast rocket ship, fun to watch, and definately in need of a color scheme that is very different top and bottom!

Please let me know.

Tom

mgnostic 05-16-2007 05:51 PM

RE: Top Flite Holy Smoke .40 plans, want 'em?

I would be very interested. A buddy of mine picked up box lot at an auction. It turned out to have both a Holy Smoke and a BUSA Force One but no plans or instructions. BUSA still sells plans and I down loaded instructions for the Holy Smoke from Top Flight but I could really use the plans. When you get done with the plans PM me and I will send the appropriate address.
Thanks

Tkeith9512 05-16-2007 06:08 PM

OK, have gotten about 1/2 dozen emails. I just got back from Washington DC, will get the scans finished and out soon. The plans DO NOT show all the ribs and formers, so I traced around the die cut originals and included an inch scale for you all. NOW you'll be able to make a complete plane. Please bear with me, I'm trying to get 3 planes done and all the last of the housework done before I go back to work Monday!

Tom

mgnostic 05-16-2007 11:29 PM

Speaking for myself, no sweat. My Holy Smoke is a couple of projects down the line. I'm just glad for the opportunity to score some plans.

Mike Mangus 05-18-2007 05:24 AM

Wow, I haven't seen a Holy Smoke in ages. I bought/built a couple in 1985 while stationed in Fayetteville, NC. If I remember right, the plane was moderately quick with a plain .40 engine and easy enough for the average sport flyer to fly.

The original kit had skids for the main landing gear, so I simply bent the included kit skid wires and slid on some wheels. The ailerons were cable controlled by one servo in the middle of the wing area. If I was building one today, I would make a servo bay in each wing and use a servo for each aileron to keep things simple.

I was the first (and only) person in the club to get one back then. It was flattering to get applause after landing from the first test flight. :)

OzMo 05-30-2007 01:25 AM

:) sent you a PM
very nice of you to share! i have been thinkin' about a delta wing as a good ol knock around flyer with a need for speedand easy to transport.
any good mods or building tips for the holy smoke?

Tkeith9512 05-30-2007 07:15 PM

Hi guys. I'm still on this. Sorry that it's taken so long. I took 3 weeks off of work (first time in 2 years to take any vacation==active duty Navy) to take care of some family maatters and it's taken me several weeks to get caught back up at work.

I plan to have these done and formatted for mailing out this Friday, but certainly no later than Sunday. Everything is scanned, i just have to pick up the scans and some prints that I had made and get the instruction booklet converted to PDF for you all.

Thanks for your understanding.

Tom

tailskid 05-31-2007 09:49 PM

I 'think' I picked up a kit at the last auction.....it was marked 'extra balsa' but in looking it over carefully - there are a bunch of die-cut sheets! If it is....whatasteal for $5.00!

Roary m 06-02-2007 06:37 PM

I have one sitting in the rafters; I built him in 1987, very fun. I abandoned the original flex rod linkage for the aileron servo for bellcranks. The best way would be to go with one servo per control surface and don't go econo on those guys. You might want to go with the elevon treatment as well. Mine had a Como 51 piped, a screamer.

Tkeith9512 06-04-2007 05:33 PM

Have you ever had one of those days?

I went to the blueprint service that I've been using. Outstanding quality, and I always work off of copied plans, not my originals. Today I get 2 copies of my Holy Smoke, the usual high quality, perfect scale. BUT........ they said my original jammed their machine. HUH? says I, if you scan it once, you need only print from the file, and the original goes through the machine only twice: once for a proof print, and a second for the scan....print from the scan from there on out. Makes sense, huh? That's how I've done 5 previous planes using this service. That and a straight PDF scan of the instruction booklet.

Anyway, getting my original out of their machine they (you guessed it) TORE THE ORIGINAL PLAN IN HALF!!!!!!! I about came unglued on the guy, as he was being a real (insert part of lower digestive tract here) about it. On top of that, the scan, burned to a CD, was CORRUPT and unuseable! OK, that's injury enough, right? Well, here's insult, he wanted to charge me for the worthless scan CD!! Ummmm.....NO. Strike #1.

I've spent over $100 recently with this place and this is what I get? Not to mention that they've had my plans for 3 days longer than they said they would need them (good prices bring lots of work, and I'm happy to wait for perfect prints/scans).

I took my worthless scan on the CD as the scan of the instruction booklet was good, my 2 paper copies(perfect), my torn original (they didn't even bother to try to re roll it, just FOLDED it and put it in an envelope) and WALKED THE HECK OUT. No, I did not pay. If he called the police, good, I'll get my day in court. They have my name and phone number, I have all the evidence of their foul up.

Off I go, to Kinkos by my house. They let me scan to .TIFF, which I convert at work to .PDF, for free. Should be less than 10 minutes, in and out. Their machine is down. Strike #2.

Off I go, to Kinkos across town. Same machine, same set up, different minimum wage employees. "No sir, you have to leave it with us. No sir, you can't just hit "scan to file" and have the computer save it for you, we have to set up the machine. It is NOT the same machine as the other store, sir. It's $5 a square foot sir, and 5 feet x 3 feet is 15 square feet so that's $75 and it'll be ready no earlier than Friday." (I will NOT leave one of two perfect copies with them. You can, and I showed her that I did, hit the scan to file button and it saved it in the computer (she still stuck to her guns, even after seeing it and opening it and proving me right. IT IS the same machine as the other store, I called and confirmed while standing there (I had an axe to grind by then). And to top it all off, for the 30 minutes that I messed with this, there were 7 employees, 2 other customers, and NO other print jobs going on any machine. I figure at a 10 minute job, 6 times an hour at $75 a job, that's $450 an hour that she's willing to chase away. Oh, did I mention that she had the "Manager" button on her shirt????). Strike #3.

I do have the scan of the instructions. I'm going to find someplace else tomorrow that will do the plans while I wait, even if I have to sacrafice a chicken.

Have a more pleasant day than I had.

Tom

(Never give up hope, I'm still on it!!!!)

chandler_ace 06-05-2007 12:15 AM

Tom,

Don't give up! Doesn't it seem that the simplest of tasks usually turn into major nightmares? I too have had issues with Kinkos. Their 36"X48" copies went from around $6 to around $45 at the two stores near me. Seems like a large increase for something that needs no help from the store employees. I found a Sir Speedy print shop that did it for about $4 dollars. The printer was behind the desk so the lady had to copy it for me but it sure beats Kinkos and they did a great job! I saw on their website that there is one in Hampton but I don't know how close it is to you. Thanks for all the work you are doing on this!

Rob

Tkeith9512 06-06-2007 03:48 PM

OK, I have scans in hand.

Went to a new service yesterday. $4.95 to scan. Cool. $10 to burn it to a CD, load to their FTP server for 30 days, or put it on my memory stick. Not cool. Since the lady on the phone didn't tell me about the $10 charge, the lady at the counter didn't charge me, this time, for that. Cool. Got home, and the plan is 36" wide, but the scan is only 30" wide. Not cool.

Back again today. The back room guy remembers me. Rescans, correctly. Very appologetic. Cool, all good. He also printed me a copy as a proof for free. Cool. If you need a paper copy and live in the Norfolk/VA Beach area of Virginia, you can have it if you want it. Just email me.

I sent out several mails with the plans in .TIFF and .PDF, with a .PDF of the instruction manual.

If you didn't get a copy today, then I don't have an email address for you or it didn't go through. Please send me an email direct. TKeith9512@(remove this to prevent spam)aol.com and I'll get it out to you ASAP.

Many happy landings.

Tom

mgnostic 06-10-2007 11:25 AM

Good stuff, Thanks

OzMo 06-10-2007 06:04 PM

wow
you really had an adventure to get those scanned! i sent you an email . its guys that are this willing to support the hoby that make r/c flying so great. it will be unmeasurable how much fun will be had do to your efforts, as many delta wings are likely to come from this.

ozmo

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 11-10-2012 12:48 PM

I am thinking of scaleing this plane up to double size WS 72" has anyone tried that before

wcarlile 03-23-2020 11:47 AM

Holy smoke

Is these still available?

Originally Posted by Tkeith9512 (Post 5833546)
I just got a 1985 Top Flite Holy Smoke .40, complete kit. Stole it off of Ebay for under $40. It has the plans and instruction book. I'm going out of town for a long weekend, but I'll scan them when I get home and make them available for download if anyone is interested.

Anyone have one or flown one? I remember my uncle's plane as being a lightning fast rocket ship, fun to watch, and definately in need of a color scheme that is very different top and bottom!

Please let me know.

Tom