RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   The "Not for Sale " (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/6229653-%22not-sale-%22.html)

BadBill 08-12-2007 07:43 PM

The "Not for Sale "

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone remember which mag had the construction article for this plane? I'm looking for a set of plans. It was a full ( flying?? ) fuse plane shaped like a triangle from nose to rudder, big thick fun fly type airfoil. GREAT flying plane, mine suffered from a weak piece of balsa used for the LE of the stab- I found it wouldn't fly without it [:o] I'm attaching a pic of the plane with it's designer that was taken at the perry show many moons ago.

Thanks!

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141

RAMFlyer 08-12-2007 08:24 PM

RE: The "Not for Sale "

The Notforsale was in Model Airplane News and is available at MAN's RC Store:

http://www.rcstore.com/ME2/dirmod.as...tier4=&ntier5=

PLAN #fsp05931

Mike Mangus 08-13-2007 07:54 AM

Great flying plane! I modified the basic design to level the fuse for a top mounted wing. The fuse behind the wing angled up into the familier triangular Not for Sale look.

I called it "Almost Not for Sale". heh.

Either way, it was an awesome flying plane. Kinda makes me want to build another .... :)

rctbirdok 08-13-2007 12:29 PM

I had a notforsale a while back. It was one of my favorite planes to fly. It would get me in trouble with people though who would ask me what kind of plane it was. They would think I was a smart alec when I would say, 'it's a not4sale'.

stuk_at_work 08-13-2007 02:13 PM

Nice. Appears that there is free shipping on the plans from MAN until the end of the month, so $15 total is not too bad!

KwilliamsFLA 11-25-2010 09:30 AM

RE: The

Blaine designed this at our field in Crystal River, Fl. It is and always will be one of the easiest flying fun-fly airplanes to ever exist, build it exactly by the plans and you will be very happy with it. Blaine originally taught me how to fly with my Goldberg trainer after about 3 flights with that he took me up on the Notforsale and the rest is History. There was actually a .20 size, a .40 size, and a giant scale that flew with a G62.

The name came from everyone always asking Blaine if he wanted to sell it, because he always beat everyone in the funflys.

Frank Schwartz 11-27-2010 03:58 PM

All very interesting. Anyone can post a picture of this plane??

BadBill 11-27-2010 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Frank Schwartz

All very interesting. Anyone can post a picture of this plane??
Frank,
There is a pic in the first post of this thread.

Frank Schwartz 11-28-2010 12:43 AM

Gee, whiz! It's quite ugly!!
Frank

Lifer 11-29-2010 10:53 AM

I have built about a dozen of these; range in size from 36 inch wings to a 72 inch version. Best sport design, ever! Any idea where I could get plans for the G-62 version? If not, are the dimensions available?

Thanks in advance!

Warbirdguy 04-29-2011 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know this is an older post, but I just ran across it. I have a G62 version. 80"span. If I can get the picture upload to work I will post a picture.

btw...High Frank :) its Jamie in Tullahoma

Dsegal 04-29-2011 01:37 PM

That is definitely a candidate for one of the top ten ugliest models of all time!

Trisquire 05-01-2011 11:16 AM

Functionality has a beauty all its own. I kind of like it. Its got a no nonsense look.

Lifer 05-01-2011 01:44 PM

I've been flying NFS's since 1992. They are beautiful in the air!

FNQFLYER 05-02-2011 11:37 PM

While I was working in Malaysia in the early 1990's a local modeller built and sold about 50 of these to the expat engineers and pilots of MH.  Mine had a Saito 50 in it and like the Cub I had at the time left its mark on a crane on the Commonwealth Games construction site at Cheras

warmfreeze 12-01-2011 11:33 AM

Yes the magazine it was in was model airplane news. I was in the boy scout uniform holding my notforsale. I remember those good old days. I belive i also have one of the origonal sets of plans blueprinterd by Blane himself.

Al Stein 07-03-2012 05:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm thinking it's time to build another... that was May 1993 MAN. Can you believe it's been 20 years?!

NotForSale plans are now on sale for $7.49 with $3.99 standard shipping http://www.airagestore.com/planes/notforsale.html NOT BAD!!

warmfreeze 07-03-2012 01:24 PM

OMG the kid in the boy scout uniform is ME!! ROFL! i miss those days..

warmfreeze 07-03-2012 01:28 PM

the one on the ground was Blane's origonal not-for-sale. the one the kid with the blue striped shirt was the second redition of it. The yellow one to the left is Ted Linnie's plane i think (cant remember as it was something like 20 years ago.) And i am holding mine. In fact that plane is still up in my parents attic. maybe i wil go fish it out and take pics of it and post them.

Thanks for posting this pic Al brings back alot of old memories!

By the way ..i have one of the origonal blueprints that Blane drew himself if you would like a copy of them!<br type="_moz" />

Al Stein 07-04-2012 04:45 AM

From your last comment a few months ago, I hoped you might get a kick out of the picture glad you enjoyed it!

I'm working on clearing space now, so if something else doesn't get in the way I think I'll be putting together an electric powered NotForSale for my next project. What a great little airplane! How long has your plane been "mothballed"?

warmfreeze 07-04-2012 09:39 AM

the plane has been up there for at least 10 years. it seems to have a few dings and a broken elevator from stuff being thrown on top of it, seems fixable though.

Thomas B 07-05-2012 09:11 AM

I had a design out a couple of years before the Not For Sale that has the wedge shaped fuse horizontal instead of vertical. Called it the Wedge. Start with a normal size .40 firewall and make the rear of the fuse either 6, 8 or 9" wide...it all worked fine. Little stubby horizontal tail tips to give a normal .40 size stab span and a normal elevator.

Shape the fuse aft of the wing like a NACA symmetrical airfoil. The fuse sides make a straight run.

Twin fins near the outside edges of the rear fuse to keep the vertical tails out in the airflow better. Used the wing from a Scooter II, but any 50" span 10" cord wing woudl do fine.

The design won a number of local fun fly events...the lifting fuse made it GREAT in competitive touch and go events and most loops in X number of seconds and such. Eventually outclassed a little by the specialized fun fly competition designs.

At one time there were 4-5 guys flying the design locally.

I also did a Micro Wedge with .020 Tee Dee power that I still have and occasionally fly at the SMALL event in Little Rock.

Always wanted to build a Wedge and a NFS in the same color scheme and sit them side by side on the field...:)

found some old pictures recently...will scan and post some.

Lifer 07-05-2012 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my variant of the NFS. I love the design and between the twins, .25 sizes, .36 sizes and .45 sizes I have built over a dozen. There should be some mention in the AMA Hall of Fame about this design.

Sure am glad the thread is still alive!

warmfreeze 07-15-2012 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Currently working on a foamboard version of the not for sale. I got really bored and decided to do a rough build from memory. LOL

UPDATE: Plane flies Amazing! A littel faster then the origonal due to scale-to-weight- ratio being way higher. All in all i am really impressed with the $2 build.<br type="_moz" />

aussie 09-29-2012 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a couple of photos of mine, This is the 2nd that I have built, so when I started this one I thought that gutting excess wood to make it a little lighter, sure did.

Vertical Is not a problem with it's current OS46AX.