RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/6701552-60s-what-your-1st-plane.html)

aerowoof 12-04-2007 07:37 PM

RE: From the 60's - What was your 1st plane ?

my dad got a wen-man sbd daunrlass for christmas of 59 and started it up in the basement later that day,I was 4 and on some weekends he and my grandfather would take me with them while they flew controline at the springfield,IL airport,I was hooked about 6 years later and 4 moves from 4 different states later I bought a scientific lil'bibe kit for $1.50.that was 6 weeks allowance back then,later I was able to buy the cox babe bee for $5.95 later during the summer that was 1965.after flying a bunch of 1/2a planes and going thru several gasllons of fuel I stepped up to .35 size engines and stunt and slow combat plans as well as scale and multi engine scale c/l.1970 I had saved enough from cutting grass over the summer to buy a new series 70 kraft 4 channel with 4 kps-11(linear) servos,a Goldberg falcon 56 and an os s-35 r/c engine,originnally was going to buy an andrews a-ray but the next production run was several months away.I built the falcon with airlerons and the nose geat was non steerable.it was finidhed with silk and dope and weighed 5 pounds.I prcaticed taxing it in a large parking lot while breaking in the engine and adjusting the idle.this was christmas vacation.Sat january 2md was a saturday,it was sunny a light breeze and fairly warm and we loaded up the station wagon and headed for the club field 20 miles away at the wayland high school parking lot or soccer field depending on show depth.that day it was the parking lot.my instructer was the owner of the local hobby shop and he had checked the plane and radio installation out the day after cristmas and again that morning.I was using a 10-4 prop to keep the speed down while I learned but a during the first take off there was not enough room to get upto speed so it was hand launched.he flew it a few minutes to trim it out and handed me the tx.first couple of turns I overcontrolled and he took over and handed it back flight lasted abiut 15 minutes and then he landed it.he then adjuted the clevises so the trims would be centered,it was not much out of trim a turn or 2 on the airlerons and elevator was all. before the next flight I changed the prop to a 10/6 that I had from controline flying and it made a big difference,never used a 10/4 again.still have both those planes

Cutlass 60 12-04-2007 11:27 PM

I flew control line from "48" until "57", then I was invited by Uncle Sam to go into the service. "Remember the draft"? Got out of the service and went back to college, got married, and finally got back into modeling in "79". My first R/C plane was a Tri-Squire with a Supertigre 23 and controlled by a used F&M Quasar radio. I did a silk and dope job on the airframe, and I must say, it came out pretty good. I had the clubs best pilot do the test hop , and to say I was nervous would be an understatement. I had about 60 hours into the build and finish, and a wife who could'nt stand the smell of dope drifting up from the cellar. She is much happier now that I use iron on and do my painting out in the tool shed. The 60's, 70's, and 80's really were the Golden Years of R/C in my humble opinion. Great memories !!!

gene6029 12-05-2007 06:42 AM

Sterling Mini Mambo, .049, escapement system. I cut the neighbors grass all summer long to buy it, used from a buddy. It flew more free flight than i ever did with the escapement working! But at least i was out at the field with the big boys flying R/C.......Gene

pd1 12-05-2007 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In the mid 50's my dad had a Berkley Bootstraps. It was very stable and it's flights could best be described as "away".

My dad bought a used Citizenship 8 channel relay receiver from Lou Andrews and built a DeBolt Pursuit. Unfortunately it didn't last very long.

Next was an Astro Hog, with a worn out K&B 45. As the Hog got heavier from fuel soaking and repairs, the engine started showing its age as well. Soon it wouldn't ROG.

This is where I come in. I would hold the transmitter while my dad hand launched it.
Soon I could make climb outs and gentile turns before I had to give up the box.
I never did land it.

Back to the Bootstraps. My dad made a new receiver and I inherited the Bootstraps.
Rudder only, it flew fine and lasted a few years more. When I wore out the engine it was replaced with an O&R 23. No throttle. I wore that one out as well.

I got a new compound escapement and a Roaring 20. First plane I had with elevators.
Flew good, when the escapement worked correctly.
First true plane for me was a Falcon 56. Wore that out as well.
Paul
Original Bootstaps. Roaring 20 and Bootstraps. Falcon 56, 1963. Me and early Toy.

Ralph78 12-08-2007 03:36 AM

Well lets see, in 1950, first Control line AC was a Veco Tom Tom with an O & R 23 Ign. VERY hard to start for a Kid. One year later traded the Ign. for an O & R 23 Glow. It was easy to start, not much power, but I slowly learned to fly over grass at the school ground.

First RC was a Sure Flite Foam Cub. with a Canon 4 Ch radio about 1972??? using an Enya 29 with a Perry Carb. I'm left handed, so I MUST fly with the throttle on the Right Stick. No one wanted to teach me, so the Sure Flite Foam Cub was great. You could plant that cub straight in, and in less than an hour be flying, thanks to Devcon 5 Min. Epoxy.(I kept a bottle of Methanol with a squirt bulb in it to flush out the engine before putting back on the plane and trying again). After about a dozen crashes that would have "Totaled" any other plane, I finally got the hang of it. The Cub did finish out about 8 ounces heaver due to all of the epoxy. Then I started building larger planes from kits so that the planes would be easier to fly.(THEY DON'T MAKE "SCALE" AIR), so "bigger" will fly better, especially a large plane with high, flat bottom, wing with lots of dih. I would add a couple of wing bays to each wing half to get more area, and a lower flight speed.

Ralph

papermache 12-08-2007 06:22 PM

My first plane was a Cox RTF plastic controlline Cub for Christmas 1956 (I was 7) My next was a Jim Walker Flybaby the next year. My first "I built it" kit was a Goldberg Stuntman 23. Moved to Japan in '58 and built several towline FF gliders while I was there. First R/C was in 1963 in Hong Kong. A buddy and I built a Goldberg Falcon Jr. with a Babcock single channel escapement (rudder only) setup. Engine was an English Mills .75 diesel. Launches were hand and landings were on floats. It actually flew pretty well until a bad landing showed us what salt water does to electronics.

It's been a wonderful ride and I'm not through yet.

papermache

buzzard bait 12-09-2007 11:19 AM

Papermache - I'm enjoying all these stories, but yours is so much like mine I had to chime in again. I started building gliders and rubber powered models when our family went to England in 1958 - I was 9, same age as you. Back in Iowa afterward I got a plastic RTF control line plane by selling Christmas cards from a deal on the back of a magazine. Then a Jim Walker Flybaby was my first real success, using the engine from the RTF. Later I built a couple of tow line gliders. We went to Japan in 1960 for a year, but I was into cameras, and never found a hobby shop there. Back home again, after more CL, eventually flew a Schoolboy and bought a Junior Falcon, but the radio had already failed. Long hiatus before I got back into it, but I'm not through yet either! Cheers,
Jim

GallopingGhostler 01-15-2008 11:17 PM

ORIGINAL: WEDJ

I built a Sterling Mambo in HS around '66. Set it up for Escapement, never flew it. As a freshman in College fall of '67, bought an MRC proportional and made it R-E-M. That's what I learned on. Second plane was an H-ray, then a Taurus, Banshee, then my own designs.
My first plane was the Jigtime style solid balsa Top Flite Schoolboy with .020 Cox Pee Wee, in 1972, as an Army School of Music student just out of Basic Training. Flew it with Ace R/C single channel proportional pulse, rudder only, using Adams Baby Twin actuator. I was on Brown frequency (26.995 MHz I think). Radio system with receiver NICAD and charger cost $70. I had many flights with it. Then built a Top Flite Roaring 20's with the same engine and R/C outfit. Also built the Goldberg 1/2-A Jr. Falcon.

In 1977, I had purchased Mattel single channel pulse on the surplus market for $40 by mail. I installed it in a Carl Goldberg .049 1/2-A Skylane, a really nice looking airplane. Lost it in a strong updraft during the start of a thunderstorm.

In 1978, I bought an Ace R/C single channel pulse on 72 MHz, with KRD sequential engine servo. Installed it in a Sterling Mini Mambo with Cox .049 R/C Bee engine. Also built Top Flite Schoolmaster with OS Max .10 R/C and same radio. Both would loop like crazy with many successful flights. Also flew Airtronics Q-Tee, first as single with the Ace and auxiliary throttle, after as two channel digital.

Prior to the 1970's, and into the '70s, built at least a dozen .049 U/C airplanes - Scientific F6F Hellcat (in 1965), Little Bipe, FB-109 Messersmidt, P-51 Mustang, own design F4F Wildcat profile, Goldberg Little Toot bipe, Sterling Beginner's Eindecker, Hellcat, Top Flite Mitsubishi Zero, etc. Also built many freeflight aircraft starting 5th grade on. These were Comet Fokker D-VII, Spad, Bellanca Jr., Sparky, P-40 Warhawk, P-51 (best flying one), Ryan, Porterfield Collegiate, Curtiss Robin, Scientific Cessna 170, Guillows Cessna Birddog, Dehaviland Chipmunk, etc.

Perhaps that is why I had very good luck when starting off with R/C, all the building and trimming experience with free flight and building with control line. As you can tell, I really liked flying model airplanes. :D

Kwigen 01-16-2008 09:58 PM

My first plane was a PT 19 I got when I had my tonsils out. I laid on the couch for three days and watch my brother and dad fly it. My first build was a 1/2A free flight which led a charmed life. The second ff wasn't so lucky. I loaded into the back of our old Willys Jeep to take out to my flying hill for it's maiden. Our stock dog figured she should go along and landed in the middle of the Viking 1/2A when she jumped into the back of the Jeep. I think my dog was more upset about it then I was.
First RC was a Sr. Falcon w/Enya .45 and an Orbit four channel radio in '71. That plane taught me to solo and what happens when you don't charge your batteries correctly. Second, was a Sr. Falcon w/Enya .45 w/new front case and an Orbit radio with freshly charged batteries. I wish I had a nickel for every landing I shot with that plane. After that, Cherokee Babe, Cardinal RG, HiLo Evolution (really bad airplane), and then Sweet Stik (really good airplane).

8178 01-16-2008 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1966, brand new TV too.

build light 01-16-2008 10:50 PM

8178, love the plane.

By the way did any one notice that the only thing plugged into the wall anywhere near the TV, IS the TV! "Course that was all you needed... Then.
I challange that the majority of us these days need to have an outlet strip so that we can plug all the associated devices, DVD, VCR, Tivo, Rx, home theater system, etc...

Robert

skylark-flier 01-24-2008 02:19 PM

Geez guys, y'all make me feel like a newbie. I've been flying since I was 7 (1955) and I'm nearly 60 now. My very first flying plane was a CL stick-built Piper Cub (I think Guillows) that my dad coverted from FF for me. As I aged I built and flew dozens of CL'ers, still have several .35-.60 size birds that I fly regularly (Shark-45, Goldberg Skylarks (3 of them), Topflite P-51, P-63 and P-40, SIG Banshees (2 of them) and a SIG Akromaster on a Fox .19).

In the RC world, my first plane was a SIG Kadet in around 1972. It flew with an Enya .35 that's still running, and a Kraft 4-ch radio (I used 3 of the channels). Still have that radio around here somewhere.

My next plane was (IS) a 1974 Goldberg Sr. Falcon that's STILL flying every weekend. It's on its 3rd covering, 2nd engine and radio, umpteenth set of tires - but it's never had what one would call a major crash. Got a full article about it at [link=http://www.geocities.com/dwwsmw52/falcon.html]Sr Falcon[/link]http://www.geocities.com/dwwsmw52/falcon.html should anyone be interested in seeing just how long an advanced trainer can last.

I had a Graupner model in the late '70s but really don't remember much about it. It was much like one of the modern tri-gear high-wings of today but as I remember, it was somewhat heavier.

My latest-built flier is a GP J-3 Piper Cub (.40-size) from about 7 years ago. It's not a bad flier, looks great in the air, but I've never really been thrilled about it. Might be that it's such a high-maintenance plane, I dunno.

Also have a couple gliders that I fly fairly frequently - Aertronics Bird of Time with a 117" wing, Aquila from I don't know what company - has a 100" wing, and a GP Spirit-100 with a 100" wing.

This, by the way, is a GREAT thread/topic. I've enjoyed immensely reading about everyone's "early" days. Thanks for the opportunity.

Kwigen 01-27-2008 01:45 PM

Great looking Sr. Falcon S-F. I've got a couple kits "resting" in the vault. You've given me an idea for one of them.

dicknadine 01-28-2008 12:16 PM

might add that My first gas model was a Super large, 'Megow Flying Qaker', back in the late 1930's. never did finish or fly it. spent my allowance on a $10 Brown Jr. motor. which I saved and finally got washed out sea/lost in Hurricane Katrina, along with All of our possesions. dick

Thomas B 01-28-2008 10:41 PM

My firs exposure to R/C was to help my dad build a Falcon 56, powered by a Super Tigre G .23 R/C an controlled by a Heathkit GD-19 radio...this was in 1969.

rc doc 01-29-2008 03:08 AM

My first RC plane was a Falcon 56, with an OS 19 RC with four channel reed system. The transmitter and receiver were assembled by a local GURU. First flight was a 12 ft. loop from hand launch;saved by 2ft of snow. After putting part of a tonque blade under the leading edge of the horizonal stab it flew perfectly. Thank goodness for other people who told me what to do . This was the winter of 63/64. I took it back to AR when i moved back in 65 and flew it there until it went behind the hanger and hit the bed of a hay wagon.

Crewcut 01-29-2008 01:45 PM

First. CG Lil'Wizard w/Cox .049. Fly Repair Fly. Had great fun Mid 60s
First RC CG Falcon 56 K&B 40 Kraft 4ch (1979)
Been flying ever since

R Verbael 02-03-2008 08:20 AM

[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Hi guys...saw this thread and just had to jump in.

My first successful airplane was a Goldberg Jr. Falcon with a Controlaire Mule and rudder-only escapement. I was a flight student in Pensacola in the spring of 1965, and would go out into a farmer's field near the base and fly, fly, fly. I flew that thing until the entire nose area was mushy from the exhaust goo from the OK cub .049 engine. Great fun and affordable for a poor 2/Lt flt student.

Later I returned to Pensacola as a flight instructor and flew a series of Sr. Falcons, Andrews Trainermasters, Top Flight Taurus, etc. Guys like Ron Chidgey, Don Coleman, Jim Whitley, Lou Penrod were our local Top Guns and great inspiration.

I am now retired and live in Yuma in the winter and Great Falls, Montana in the summer. Still love the Cherokee, Senior Falcon, Telemaster, Venture 60, 8' J-3 Cub, etc.

Great Days....Great Hobby....wonderful memories.

Russ Verbael AMA 58525

Eendje 02-03-2008 12:18 PM

Hello all

Just have to put in some of my recollections, when I was around 12-13yrs old (very early 60's) I started making Kiel Kraft model gliders.

One of them a "Cadet" with a Jetex motor; on it's maiden flight (after trimming), disappeared into the wild blue yonder and as far as I know is still flying.

My next progression was to control line flying a "Veron" model Spitfire with a Frog 150 diesel engine, this I thought was the "Bee's Knee's". (How is that for colloquial English)?.

Until flying wings and bigger planes came along with the new fangled Merco 35 glow, incidentally I recently resisted the chance to fly control line at my club after watching one of the other "older" members falling on his bum after a few circuits.

In the mid 70's after university and marriage I started R/c flying with a Enya 19 powered Trainer and..... I was hooked again.

One of my most loved planes was a "Kiel Kraft" Ivory Gull, a powered glider (100 inch span with an OS 10 power pod).

This plane, I still regularly fly at my local club and still wonder at it as it is a speck in the sky. I have refurbished it a couple of times and it still uses the original engine and it starts easily. Weird when you think it is older than a lot of the club members

My main interest is still gliders and my garage resembles a hangar.

Balsa bashing rules OK !!!!

Rodger

50+AirYears 02-03-2008 11:32 PM

Well, I'd already been building and flying control line and free flight since about 1948, can't really remember what my first flyable plane was, but my first control line was an Enterprise Air Racer in 1950. My first RC job was a Guillow Trixter Beam in 1962, Fox .15X. First radio was a Super Aerotrol kit from America's Hobby Center. Never got it to work, but I sure could get some decent shocks from the 90 Volt battery in the transmitter. I finally crashed the plane using an F&M single channel transmitter and Pioneer super regenerative reciever with a Bonner Varicomp escapement. I miss some of the early planes. Don't miss the radio equipment. I still have that transmitter, and a later superhetrodyne reciever for it.

SGibson 02-04-2008 09:47 PM

50+AirYears,
I collect old radios and am interested in seeing a picture of your F&M single channel transmitter. Can you post a picture for all of us to see?
Thanks,
S Gibson
Houston, TX
(And the starter of this great thread !)

50+AirYears 02-05-2008 09:30 AM

I'll see what I can do about digging it out of storage. It does have a hole in the front case I drilled to first connect one of those old Kyosho or whatever single channel pulsers for escapement use, then later a pulser for Galloping Ghost. Still have a Du-ac, Adams Pulse actuator, and a couple other pulse proportional actuators.

Champ-RCU 02-06-2008 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1st Plane but about 72' that's close enough to the 60's.

I believe it was called a T2 by Ace. Kraft 2 channel brick radio.

squeakalong 02-18-2008 02:32 PM

Great reading!! During the sixties I built a lot of CL models like the Magician 35, Flying Fool, Buster, and lots of FF. Finally could afford R/C in the early '70's and my first plane was a Midwest Tri-Squire with a Fox .15 RC and EK LRB 3 Channel radio, then a Cherokee, Trainermaster, All Star Bipe (with the Fox .15 !!!! Whoa!!!), and been at it ever since. Happy building to all of you!

seswalk 03-15-2012 10:04 PM

My first R/C Plane was the Mini Mambo, .049, single channel using a babcock escapement. The radio was a superhedrodyne 4 transisitor receiver with a 1 tube transmitter made by C&S. It used 2 ea 67.5 volt batteries plus a 3 volt battery (to power the filaments in the tube).