RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Peter Bowers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/740410-peter-bowers.html)

kdheath 05-03-2003 02:09 AM

Peter Bowers

I just learned that Peter Bowers passed away in Seattle on April 27th. If his name doesn't ring a bell, perhaps the name Fly Baby will. Pete was a homebuilder, engineer, and modeler par excellence. The Fly Baby was a beautifully simple wooden homebuilt from the 1960s. It helped launch the EAA/homebuilt movement. The original FB was a power FF model (republished in MA in RC form not long ago). Pete worked for Boeing for 36 years. Not to mention he was a terrific historian, writer, and photographer. His passing is a great loss to modeling, homebuilding and aviation in general.

mikerolls37 05-04-2003 06:14 PM

Peter Bowers

Sad news indeed - I always loved the look of the Flybaby. As you say, Pete will be sorely missed.

Mike

kdheath 05-04-2003 06:43 PM

Peter Bowers

Mike,
I also posted the same item at the Stuka Stunt Works forum, and Ted Fancher was kind enough to reply with some childhood memories of Pete. Very readable.

http://clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID1/4676.html

Kelvin

RENORACER 05-28-2003 03:35 PM

FlyBaby Memories

Sad news about the passing of Pete Bowers.

When I was a kid, my father and I built one of the FlyBabys. I really didnt get to do much, but did get to help in the covering of the wings, sewing it all together, and putting the dope on to tighten it all up. My father still has old movies taken with at that time the state of the art, Brownie home movie camera. He also has the original plans, and instruction manual, and in perfect condition.

We never got to finish it because times got tough, and had to sell it, and having never seen it fly was truely dissheartening.

It was finished by the person it was sold to, and is believed to still be flying today. (over 30 years ago now)

Maybe some day I can con my father out of his plans and instruction manual, and can build and fly my own.

Would be a great experiance, David

kdheath 05-28-2003 03:48 PM

Peter Bowers

Hi David,
Similar story here. My Dad collected a lot of bits and pieces toward building a homebuilt, including a surplus Lycoming 0-290G engine. But he passed away before any serious work got done. At least he got his long delayed private license, and we spent many happy hours tooling around in rented Pipers.

I think I like old-time guys like Pete Bowers and Bernie Pietenpol better than the high dollar, custom built glass rocket guys who put more money than time into their homebuilts. It's hard to really love and understand something bought compared to something you build with your own hands and heart.

Have you ever seen Pete's Flybaby FF model? Gorgeous.

Kelvin

RENORACER 05-29-2003 04:23 AM

Peter Bowers

HI Kelvin,

I agree 100% on the building part. That is why I build kits, rather than buy ARF's. Have done so for many years. I never saw the FF model. I am building a Dynaflite 84" ws Flybaby with a converted Homelite 31cc weedy motor. May get it done over the summer if all goes well.

My father and I also started to build a Youngster Bi-Plane but never got that one finished either. He also had a Cessna 172 that we would fly a lot. At one time he also had the original Keleher Lark. A real good looking single place, mid wing plane, and he even flew it in the Air Races we have here in Reno . That was back in the late 60's. Wasnt much competition compared to other planes but was fun to watch him fly with half a dozen other planes around the pylons.

I am still a big Air Race fan, and live about a mile from the Airport where they hold the Races and Air Show. Get to see a lot of great planes this way.

David

RobStagis 06-07-2003 10:17 AM

Peter Bowers

I built the MA FlyBaby. It was one of my favorite planes. I powered it with a HP VT .21 (the rotary-valve 4-stroker). Heh - 72" wingspan with a .21 4-stroke! It fleww fantastically well. Bowers was a big name in general aviation - he'll be missed.

kdheath 06-07-2003 02:04 PM

Peter Bowers

Hi Rob,
Wasn't that VT 21 a neat little motor? As quiet as an electric, run all day on a drop of fuel. Not a lot of power, but so sweet!
Kelvin

RobStagis 06-09-2003 11:36 AM

Peter Bowers

Heh - I had bought it used with no manual. So, of course, let's take it aprt to see what makes it tick.....and of course the valve drum popped up and I lost my valve timing... *sigh*. It took a while..... And yep! Excellent motor. On the FlyBaby I was using TopFlite Super M props, I think 9x4 or x5. They're a wide-chord prop no longer manufactured. Matched the engine beautifully.

mikerolls37 06-09-2003 03:17 PM

Peter Bowers

Kelvin

Many thanks for the link ot Ted's reminiscences.

Mike

CadFlyer 07-24-2003 02:42 AM

Peter Bowers

I have a dynaflite 84" Flybaby. It is the best flying R/C plane I have ever owned. I stopped by my local airport recently looking for someone that might have some nitrate/butyrate dope they would sell me. There was a guy working inside a hanger, I told him I was building a R/C Flybaby and needed it to cover the plane. No one had any but as we talked he asked if I had seen the Flybaby that was 3 hangers down. I said no, so he showed me where it was and I went down there to find a middle aged gentleman watering the grass outside his hanger. We started talking, I told him what I was building, he asked me inside his hanger. As I entered I saw the most beautiful Flybaby I have ever seen in my life! It is in pristine condition and is painted like the WWI Army colors (blue/Yellow). I was so impressed I could not believe just how nice shape it was in. He said it is ready to fly and that he would sell it to me for $10,000. Well, needless to say it would come down to a divorce or the plane. I chose not to buy the plane, hahaha. It is a real tribute to Pete Bowers legend to see someone like this man who has taken such pride in preserving this aircraft. I know if Pete were here to see this plane he would have been extremely proud!

RobStagis 07-24-2003 10:41 AM

Peter Bowers

Hmmmmm.....gawd, I'm gonna miss her...........

CadFlyer 07-24-2003 02:12 PM

Peter Bowers

yeah, those were my initial thoughts too. hahaha